Lack of medical knowledge

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Lack of medical knowledge

Post by rozzieoz »

GF is really struggling to understand what happened to her after the moto accident.
She has absolutely no memory of the accident and keeps asking why she can’t remember. When she woke up in hospital she thought she was home in bed - so she got a hell of a shock to realize where she was.

It’s so difficult to explain things like concussion etc to her- and then her friends come over they bring unbelievably ridiculous advice.

There’s a list of foods a mile long they’ve told her she can’t eat- they will worsen her scarring. She has been boiling an egg and putting it on her black eye which sounds so painful to me, but she feels better for doing it.

I feel so sorry for her, it’s so scary for her not being able to understand what’s happening to her body and why. She sneezed some blood this morning and it freaked her out.

She’s gone back to the hospital today (international Clinic) to be checked over, and hopefully to speak to a Khmer doctor who can explain some things to her.

Ric has a fractured rib and is in a world of pain, but at least he understands what’s going on.

It really shocked me to realize how little they know about basic medical stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rozzieoz on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Lack of medical knowledge

Post by AndyKK »

I hope the best for both their recovery's Roz. With having a good caring friend like you, their ordeal will be lightened and hopefully pass quickly. :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Thank you Andy <3

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I hope everything checks out today. Is she in the clear from a troublesome concussion already?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Don’t think she’s over the concussion.

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I bought several charts from the large book shops [ about 400 x 800 ] that show diagrams of body parts , bones in the body, veins, blood flow etc,,, and stuck them on the tile walls
and every so often I ask one of the kids to point out a heart or lung or how many bones are there in a hand. Probably too late to teach your g/f much about the
human anatomy but those charts make it easier explaining some things.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

That’s a really good idea Duncan

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 pm GF is really struggling to understand what happened to her after the moto accident.
She has absolutely no memory of the accident and keeps asking why she can’t remember. When she woke up in hospital she thought she was home in bed - so she got a hell of a shock to realize where she was.

It’s so difficult to explain things like concussion etc to her- and then her friends come over they bring unbelievably ridiculous advice.
Post Traumatic Amnesia is common following a traumatic brain injury. Memories formed at the time of injury most likely will never return as injury often prevents the correct encoding of them. I had a TBI following a bike accident over 2 years ago and I have no recollection of the accident. My ability to smell and taste took a number of months to recover.
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 pm There’s a list of foods a mile long they’ve told her she can’t eat- they will worsen her scarring. She has been boiling an egg and putting it on her black eye which sounds so painful to me, but she feels better for doing it.
I feel so sorry for her, it’s so scary for her not being able to understand what’s happening to her body and why. She sneezed some blood this morning and it freaked her out.
I think you will find plenty of stuff on the net concerning what to eat and what to eat and what not to eat to promote healing and reduce scarring. I would generally take Zinc and Vitamin C supplements, but there are also foods high in these.

Concerning "black eye" usually use cold compresses initially, but warm compresses are used after a few days, so I suppose the warm egg is doing that. The important thing is to check that there is no blood in the white of the eye, and she is not getting "double vision" as this could indicate more serious internal injury to the eye, and possible damage to the surrounding bones.

The double vision and nose bleeding could indicate skull fracture. I don't know if she had a CT scan but that would have picked that up and also if there is evidence of swelling or bleeding in the head (Subdural hematoma). Subdural hematomas can be life threatening, some resolve themselves others may require surgical drainage.
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:05 pm She’s gone back to the hospital today (international Clinic) to be checked over, and hopefully to speak to a Khmer doctor who can explain some things to her.

Ric has a fractured rib and is in a world of pain, but at least he understands what’s going on.

It really shocked me to realize how little they know about basic medical stuff.

Cracked ribs can be really painful, one just has to be careful that the broken rib doesn't puncture the lung for example.

Hope this helps.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

when she is back to normal, exlpain planetary theory to her.
get a globe and explain the phases of the moon and the solstices and equinoxes.
very rewarding to impart this knowledge.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kuroneko thank you so much that’s a lot of really valuable information.

The doctors checked her today and are very happy with her progress, they said she is looking great.

Her stitches can come out three days earlier than they thought, so that’s good news.

They also said in six months the scars won’t be noticeable. For a girl running a beauty salon that’s a very big relief.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic