Phnom Penh: Airport trains to be ready by Khmer New Year

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh: Airport trains to be ready by Khmer New Year

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

22 December 2017
- The new railway line from the Phnom Penh train station to the airport will be launched before the Khmer New Year in April, according to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.

In addition, passenger ships from Prek Phnov to Phnom Penh and Takhmao, in an effort to resolve traffic congestion, will also be completed.

Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said the ministry is constructing the track that links the train station to Phnom Penh International Airport.
Three train engines from Mexico will be used for passenger transport, with each train able to hold 100 passengers.

“I will make every effort to ensure the railway from Phnom Penh to the international airport is completed before the Khmer New Year,” Mr Chanthol said.

“I would like to announce that after its completion, it will be open for people to use or test for free for three months, including the transportation by waterway.” ​The railway expansion project saw protests in July when local residents were told to move 15 meters from the road...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5097577/air ... ady-april/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh: Airport trains to be ready by Khmer New Year

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not feeling too confident about any new urban passenger service given the absence of tracks. There is a single track with some sidings in the central area leading to the old train station, I think a lot of the old yards and engine-houses might be gone now, there has been a lot of development in that area around Russian Boulevard/ tracks/ previous Boeng Kak. There's only a single track leading out of the city anyway, and it's only got level crossings, no bridges, so it has to block the traffic. I think it's a great idea but I can't see how it can work efficiently.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Where is the airport station supposed to be located? I thought the tracks were pretty far from the airport
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 pm I'm not feeling too confident about any new urban passenger service given the absence of tracks. There is a single track with some sidings in the central area leading to the old train station, I think a lot of the old yards and engine-houses might be gone now, there has been a lot of development in that area around Russian Boulevard/ tracks/ previous Boeng Kak. There's only a single track leading out of the city anyway, and it's only got level crossings, no bridges, so it has to block the traffic. I think it's a great idea but I can't see how it can work efficiently.
Traffic don't like trains have we have seen in recant posts, nor do predestrions. If everyone at the crossings allow the train to pass, then the traffic will build up. But the train is free for a time.
username wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 pm Where is the airport station supposed to be located? I thought the tracks were pretty far from the airport
Have they got to the airport, or is it another tuc-tuc ride away. The tracks could end up on the runway.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

username wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 pm Where is the airport station supposed to be located? I thought the tracks were pretty far from the airport
At the end of 105k street, not that far from arrivals terminal building really. Probably will be more of a tram platform than a station.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I can't figure what they mean. There was a "Pochentong" train station but it's quite a bit aways from the airport. If they have a train that runs from a station a ride away from the airport to the old station that's a ride away from the center that seems a bit pointless unless just for novelty value.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

Overheard it's going to be an overhead LR. Question still remains, how will a line of any sort, be completed in next 4 months?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:55 am I can't figure what they mean. There was a "Pochentong" train station but it's quite a bit aways from the airport. If they have a train that runs from a station a ride away from the airport to the old station that's a ride away from the center that seems a bit pointless unless just for novelty value.
Khartoum wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:46 am Overheard it's going to be an overhead LR. Question still remains, how will a line of any sort, be completed in next 4 months?
The one that is supposed to start running in April is not overhead LR. It's LR that use current rail tracks and then last part it turns to street 105k street sharing the street with cars. Same way as many tram line shares road in many European cities. The new part of the track was 40% done in October when they halted the construction after people living on 105k complained. But I believe they have continued the work recently after reaching agreement with residents. The end stop will be short walk away from the airport terminal. Only need to cross the Russian bld really.

I think there is already train stopping daily(?) at Pochentong train station. The train goes to SEZ PP. At least earlier this year they were running train between main station and PP SEZ for few months.

Connection to current tracks on st 105k
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

The new railway line from the Phnom Penh train station to the airport will be launched before the Khmer New Year in April,

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 pm 22 December 2017
Three train engines from Mexico
mañana nunca llega
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic