Tax Cuts Coming to the U.S. - Driving the World Economies?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tax Cuts Coming to the U.S. - Driving the World Economies?

Post by SmartAston Martin »

As you know, the tax plan passed both Houses. Only Trump has to sign it now.

Whatever you say about Trump, at least he knows how to juke his own market, for the better, it appears, at least in the short run (until 2025 when tax bennies expire).

U.S. Tax Cut Details
20 December 2017

Highlights I noticed:

1. Corporations' tax cut 35% to 21% What?! What will CEOs do with that?
2. MNC's taxed less. See below for details.
3. No requirement to buy health insurance.
4. Almost no estate tax any more.

In 2025, unless a massive economy changes things and/or they legislate more, the tax bennies will disappear and retirement and health care will be issues. Some forecast for that time (~2025), increased taxes and spending cuts.

But so what? We've got 8 years to enjoy more business? :)

Do you understand this part? Shed some light, if you will.

MNC'S
"16. Change how U.S. multinationals are taxed: Today U.S. companies owe Uncle Sam tax on all their profits, regardless of where the income is earned. They're allowed to defer paying U.S. tax on their foreign profits until they bring the money home.

Many argue that this "worldwide" tax system puts American businesses at a disadvantage. That's because most foreign competitors come from countries with territorial tax systems, meaning they don't owe tax to their own governments on income they make offshore.

The final GOP bill proposes switching the U.S. to a territorial system. It also includes a number of anti-abuse provisions to prevent corporations with foreign profits from gaming the system.

In the meantime it would require companies to pay a one-time, low tax rate on their existing overseas profits -- 15.5% on cash assets and 8% on non-cash assets (e.g., equipment abroad in which profits were invested), slightly higher than the rates in the Senate- and House-passed bills."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/news/ec ... index.html
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Tax Cuts Coming to the U.S. - Driving the World Economies?

Post by frank lee bent »

In the meantime it would require companies to pay a one-time, low tax rate on their existing overseas profits -- 15.5% on cash assets and 8% on non-cash assets (e.g., equipment abroad in which profits were invested), slightly higher than the rates in the Senate- and House-passed bills."
ergo- will not pass
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tax Cuts Coming to the U.S. - Driving the World Economies?

Post by SmartAston Martin »

I think that proposal on MNC's means, "pay now a much lower amount, no need to pay much more later." Will that fly?

Then, long-term, U.S.-based MNC's might have more cash to compete in investments overseas? Or did I miss something?
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic