Sihanoukville; Koh Puos and Lomherkay beach vendors make way for Chinese development

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sihanoukville; Koh Puos and Lomherkay beach vendors make way for Chinese development

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Locals are moved out to allow further coastal development as Chinese companies claim Koh Pos (Treasure Island restaurant) and Lomherkay ( Hawaii) beaches.
Beach vendors protest removal
19 December 2017
SIHANOUKVILLE - More than 20 vendors living along Koh Puos and Lomherkay beach in Preah Sihanouk’s Ley Bey commune yesterday gathered in front of the Council of Ministers to protest the removal of their stalls and homes.

Men Kalyna, a seller who has been living and selling goods on Lomherkay beach since 1992 without interference , said herself and other vendors were asked to move by provincial authorities to make way for an unknown Chinese company aiming to develop the beach.

She said because she refused to move, provincial authorities forcibly removed her stall last week.
“The provincial authorities destroyed our livelihoods and homes, so we ask Prime Minister HE for support so they will stop. We have nowhere else to go,” she said.
ImageKoh Pos Beach
Officials at the Council of Ministers rejected the petition signed by the vendors, and told them to file another one at the Cabinet of the Prime Minister.
At the Cabinet of the Prime Minister, an official who did not provide his name told the vendors the petition would be handed over to expert officers to find a solution on the issue.

Chhin Seng Nguon, Preah Sihanouk deputy governor, said the coastal land where the vendors live is state land, where authorities have to engage in development to welcome the public.
“Before the removal of the stalls, provincial authorities informed the sellers. The land is public, they cannot claim it as their own,” he said.
Khmer Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville; Koh Puos and Lomherkay beach vendors make way for Chinese development

Post by AndyKK »

Chhin Seng Nguon, Preah Sihanouk deputy governor, said the coastal land where the vendors live is state land, where authorities have to engage in development to welcome the public.
“Before the removal of the stalls, provincial authorities informed the sellers. The land is public, they cannot claim it as their own,” he said.
Khmer Times.

Easy to understand.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Sihanoukville; Koh Puos and Lomherkay beach vendors make way for Chinese development

Post by Duncan »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 pm Chhin Seng Nguon, Preah Sihanouk deputy governor, said the coastal land where the vendors live is state land, where authorities have to engage in development to welcome the public.
Khmer Times.

Easy to understand.

Be even more easyier to understand , if it was a lake .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

Public land - you cannot own it BUT we can let the Chinese have it!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Beach sellers must make room for Chinese investors
2 December 2018
Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities will ask the government to deal with 10 sellers who refuse to relocate from Koh Puos – or Hawaii beach – and Lomher Kay beach.

Vendors’ representatives have asked for compensation from provincial authorities to relocate to a new area.

In December 2016, more than 20 representatives of 13 stores along Koh Puos and Lomher Kay beaches in Preah Sihanoul’s Lek Bey commune protested in front of the Council of Ministers to ask for Prime Minister HE’s intervention in their favour.

Yun Min, Preah Sihanouk governor, said yesterday that the sellers have been warned of recent developments for the region and still refuse to move. Consequently, he said, the government will need to take legal action.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5099381/bea ... investors/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

WIll they finish this development? years ago the Chinese got a huge chunk of coast from koh kong down kiri sakur. they built a new road from the 48 highway to kiri Sakur and I believe the golf course and a hotel have been built there but its all gone quiet in the press. This was going to be a huge coastal tourist zone with apartments and satellite towns for staff. Then last year we got news of russians coming and i think somewhere it said they were getting the coast from the airport to kampot for development but i cannot find the article now http://www.tourismcambodia.com/news/loc ... urists.htm
So chinese to the west, russians to the east and barang? in Thailand probably, which is now cheaper for a beach holiday than sihanoukville. last year 3 bedroom new house in snooky cost $650 a monht. this year chinese are paying $2000 a month for the same place
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

the public school I parked my ice cream van outside got sold, demolished & made into houses

I want compensation too
:facepalm:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

chorlton wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:45 pm the public school I parked my ice cream van outside got sold, demolished & made into houses

I want compensation too
:facepalm:
Ok its time to make a wildlife reservation to protect endangered species in Snooky before they are destryoed by invasive Homo Chinatica.
Special zomes set aside which only the following can own or rent:-
Khmer
Brits
Aussies
Yanks
and ice cream van owners

They seriously need to consider zoning in Cambodia now, to protect the khmer and us. it is Western tourist who throw money into local businesses and are daft enough to send homey $500 a month, not the chinese. the khmer need us as much as we need them :please:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

pczz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm WIll they finish this development? years ago the Chinese got a huge chunk of coast from koh kong down kiri sakur. they built a new road from the 48 highway to kiri Sakur and I believe the golf course and a hotel have been built there but its all gone quiet in the press. This was going to be a huge coastal tourist zone with apartments and satellite towns for staff. Then last year we got news of russians coming and i think somewhere it said they were getting the coast from the airport to kampot for development but i cannot find the article now http://www.tourismcambodia.com/news/loc ... urists.htm
So chinese to the west, russians to the east and barang? in Thailand probably, which is now cheaper for a beach holiday than sihanoukville. last year 3 bedroom new house in snooky cost $650 a monht. this year chinese are paying $2000 a month for the same place
What about Koh Damlong - potato island. That went before the big rush.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic