Your attorney's place or my attorney's place?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Your attorney's place or my attorney's place?

Post by that genius »

It was only a matter of time

https://www.rt.com/news/413666-sweden-rape-consent-law/

Swedes may be charged with rape unless they get ‘explicit’ sexual consent under proposed law
Published time: 19 Dec, 2017 17:0

© Mark Makela / Reuters

Sweden’s adults could be convicted of rape unless they receive a verbal or non-verbal sign of consent from their partner at each step of their sexual encounter, according to a new law set to come into force next year.

“It should be obvious. Sex should be voluntary. If it is not voluntary, then it is illegal,” Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, who leads a center-left coalition, said during a presentation in Stockholm. “If you are unsure, then refrain!”

Swedish police retract safety advice to women despite 3rd gang rape in 1 month
As with other ‘Yes means Yes’ initiatives, at any trial it will now fall on those accused of rape to prove that their actions were welcomed by their partner, rather than on the accuser to show that they did not consent – which Lofven said will “put the victims’ interests first.”

Standing next to the PM, Justice Minister Morgan Johansson said that the line on what constitutes a sufficient show of consent will be decided on a “case-by-case” basis, but added that he “expects the number of rape convictions to rise.”

Johansson openly declared that the law, which is expected to be enforced from July 2018, was launched as a purposeful “signal to Sweden’s men and boys.”
“If men’s violence against women is to cease, it’s the men who have to change,” stated Johansson, who has allotted some $120 million of extra funds next year for the police to combat sex crimes.

Other legislation to be approved as part of the package will introduce more severe custodial punishments for rape, and the concept of “negligent” rape and sexual abuse. In such cases perpetrators could be charged with rape even if they did not explicitly intend to coerce their victim, which is the standard for the existing sexual abuse law.

Swedish man sentenced to 10yrs in jail for 'online rape'
“It’s a new chapter in Swedish gender equality history. Not least in connection with the #metoo movement, we see that this is needed,”said Deputy Prime Minister Isabella Lovin, who had campaigned for the initiative, referring to the social media movement sparked by the allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

#metoo is thought to be responsible for sexual crime reports spiking since the scandal broke by a third compared with the same period last year. Over two-thirds of Swedes asked have told pollsters that they have discussed the issues raised by the scandal either at home or with their colleagues and partners.

Although affirmative consent has been implemented in several states in the US in relation to college campuses and schools, Sweden is to become the first country to turn it into a universal law, Denmark having voted down a similar proposal.

While it is unlikely to meet parliamentary resistance, the Swedish Bar Association General Secretary Anne Ramberg has criticized the “populist” law, saying that it is could be “divorced from reality” and “repressive,” leading to innocent people being jailed without affecting the overall incidence of sexual assault.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Your attorney's place or my attorney's place?

Post by prahocalypse now »

that genius wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 am
What's 'online rape'?
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

Swedish men are a bunch of male feminist bitches. It's the most feminist nation on earth.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

kptic wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:39 am Swedish men are a bunch of male feminist bitches. It's the most feminist nation on earth.
However did you arrive at this conclusion about the heirs of Vikings?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

prahocalypse now wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 am
What's 'online rape'?
I'd say Chorlton's indefensible, unwarranted and often arrogant chortlings and attacks.

But that's just my two cents. :)
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am
What's 'online rape'?
I'd say Chorlton's indefensible, unwarranted and often arrogant chortlings and attacks.

Baiting other posters is also unwarranted.

Would you like to join him on his holiday?
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Women

Learn from Wolf Blitzer, according to the very humorous and sometimes insightful, "The Onion."

CNN Investigating Reports Of Wolf Blitzer’s Highly Proper Sexual Conduct

https://www.theonion.com/cnn-investigat ... 1821326786

"... [ about ] claims that the network’s lead anchor had had erotic, but always considerate, interactions with women deliberately well outside his department, making sure to receive enthusiastic consent at every step before ultimately bringing each woman to a shuddering climax."

How many shuddering climaxes have you caused (or received, for that matter, haha) out here? I've caused plenty.

This is not an excuse to mistreat women, just a good indicator of how integrated you are in this society.

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Username Taken wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 am
SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am
What's 'online rape'?

Baiting other posters is also unwarranted.

Would you like to join him on his holiday?
No, I would not. Perhaps he just had a bad day.

Appreciate your fair notice. Chortle's off my list.

kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

taabarang wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am
kptic wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:39 am Swedish men are a bunch of male feminist bitches. It's the most feminist nation on earth.
Do a little research. They tried to make men sit down to pee.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/ ... 90572.html
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

kptic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 am
taabarang wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am
Do a little research. They tried to make men sit down to pee.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/ ... 90572.html
From the article above.“Men scatter urine not so much during the actual urination as during the ‘shaking off’ that follows,”

Don't forget that more than three shakes is a wank. =@
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic