Solving Cambodia's Pepper Problems

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Solving Cambodia's Pepper Problems

Post by Barang chgout »

Drying, I suspect the key.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

October 2, 2019
Farmers quit pepper amid oversupply
A lack of demand is driving a large number of Kampot pepper farmers to quit the crop, the Kampot Pepper Promotion Association said yesterday.

Many farmers are finding it difficult to sell their harvests, according to KPPA president Ngoun Lay. He estimates that 20 to 25 percent of small-scale farmers (those farming less than 3,000 square meters of land) have abandoned the crop after this year’s harvest season, which recently finished.

Mr Lay said an oversupply of the crop is causing farmers in Kampot and Kep provinces to switch to other crops like mango.

“There are some challenges that are forcing those farmers to quit planting pepper,” he said. According to him, the current oversupply is the result of buyers beginning to cultivate the crop, which started happening only two years ago.

“Orders from buyers have decreased substantially in the last few years because these buyers are now also planting pepper,” he said.

“For example, before a buyer would order 10 to 20 tonnes of pepper, but now they only need from 2 to 10 tonnes because they are also growing the pepper themselves. This is hurting farmers,” he said.

He noted that the crop is now grown in 290 hectares of land in both provinces by 445 farmers. Combined, those farmers produce a total of 100 tonnes a year on average, but buyers are demanding only about 70 tonnes a year.

A kilogram of Kampot black pepper fetches $15, while red pepper and white pepper sell for $25 and $28 per kilogram, respectively. However, some farmers have had to sell their black pepper for $13 a kilogram, red pepper for $22 and white pepper for $26, Mr Lay noted.

Low-quality pepper used to fetch $10 per kilogram, but now, due to oversupply, some farmers are selling it to Vietnamese merchants for as low as $2 per kilogram.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50647117/f ... versupply/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Pepper Exported to More Than 20 Nations
AKP Phnom Penh, December 05, 2019 --

Cambodian has exported pepper to more than 20 countries around the world, according to a recent report from the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries.

In nearly 11 months of this year, over 3,574 tonnes of Cambodian pepper have been shipped to foreign markets, it added.

Vietnam, France, Germany, Czech Republic, UK, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, India, Belgium, Thailand, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Kazakhstan, Russia, U.S, Bulgaria, and China’s Hong Kong and Taiwan are on the list of buyers of Cambodia's pepper.

Pepper is grown in many places throughout the country, however, the most well-known pepper is the one produced in Kampot, obtaining the World Trade Organisation's Geographical Indication (GI) status in 2010.

By Khan Sophirom
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kampot Pepper Yields Increase to 130 Tonnes
AKP Phnom Penh, May 12, 2020 --

Kampot pepper yields have seen a high record of 130 tonnes in the first four months of this year, thanks to favorable weather conditions, according to figures from Kampot Provincial Agriculture Department.

Despite high yields, the commodity has been facing the problem of export to foreign markets due to the global pandemic of COVID-19, Mr. Chan Rith, Director of the Provincial Agriculture Department said.

Currently, farmers have been harvesting pepper for storage, he continued, stressing that although the exports were not made, the price of the commodity has not decreased.

A ton of black pepper is priced at US$1,500, while red pepper and white pepper at about US$2,500 and US$2,800, respectively.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/31382

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

stupidly overpriced

i buy from the market 1kg $4 beautiful black pepper
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Kampot pepper is similar to Cognac and Champagne.
The region it is grown gives it a more refined reputation.
You can certainly find a nice brandy not from Cognac France and a decent sparkling wine not from Champagne France.
I love Kampot pepper and lived in Kampot and visited several farms.
I did find superior quality and unique drying methods that produced a wonderful product.
Of course, the price reflected that ...as does the price of a nice Cognac or Champagne.
Since, Kep Province was part of Kampot Province pepper grown in Kep can have the Kampot pepper label.
Take the Vietnam island off the fucking coast of Kampot...i call Koh Phuck You..Phu Quoc pepper does not know it is not part of Cambodia. It has virtually the same weather and soil conditions.
It is marketed by Vietnam just like Kampot pepper is...as a premium pepper.
Google map will give you quite a glimpse at the competition Cambodian pepper growers have these days.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

As 1kg of Kampot black pepper is priced $15, I think the prices are US$15.000 for a ton of black pepper, and $25k and $28k for red and white.

Prices in Dar-Memot, the biggest production area in the kingdom, dropped to 5.500r ($1.37) per kilo this year, compared to 40.000+ riels back in 2011/12...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pepper prices up on Vietnam demand
Thou Vireak | Publication date 03 June 2020 | 21:40 ICT
Pepper prices in Cambodia have soared since 2018 due to rising demand from Vietnam, insiders have said.

Cambodia Pepper and Spice Federation president Mak Ny told The Post that increased demand from Vietnam led to a significant recovery in pepper prices at the beginning of this year’s harvest season.

The prices of pepper have increased from 9,000 riel to 11,000 riel ($2.19 to $2.67) per 550g compared to the same period last year, he said. The prices of Cambodian pepper has jumped since the beginning of last month after the Vietnamese pepper harvest ended in April, he said.

“I think, maybe Vietnam’s pepper harvest this year is low and they are worried about a shortage of pepper because Vietnam is a big market distributor, so it buys a lot of pepper from us to stock. That’s why our prices are rising so fast now.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... N9YPoE4u4Y

Meanwhile, in Vietnam, they say that it is the increased demand for pepper from China that is driving up prices.

Việt Nam domestic pepper prices hit one-year high
Update: May, 29/2020 - 11:07
HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam pepper prices rose to a one-year high on Wednesday, driven by Chinese consumption recovery and higher demands from local businesses.

Farmers in the Central Highlands and the south of Việt Nam sold pepper at VNĐ48,000 – 50,000 (US$2.08-2.17) per kilo on Wednesday, depending on the location, a 26.6 – 31.1 per cent increase from last month, according to tintaynguyen.com.

The price in Bà Rịa – Vũng Tàu Province reached VNĐ50,000, the highest since January 2019.

Domestic pepper prices have surged in the last few weeks because the Chinese market has recovered from the deadly COVID-19 pandemic, and local companies have stepped up buying to fulfil their contracts.
https://vietnamnews.vn/economy/717417/v ... -high.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Re: Solving Cambodia's Salt and Pepper Problems

So does Cambodia still have salt problems ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

BR549 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:20 am Kampot pepper is similar to Cognac and Champagne.
The region it is grown gives it a more refined reputation.
You can certainly find a nice brandy not from Cognac France and a decent sparkling wine not from Champagne France.
I love Kampot pepper and lived in Kampot and visited several farms.
I did find superior quality and unique drying methods that produced a wonderful product.
Of course, the price reflected that ...as does the price of a nice Cognac or Champagne.
Since, Kep Province was part of Kampot Province pepper grown in Kep can have the Kampot pepper label.
Take the Vietnam island off the fucking coast of Kampot...i call Koh Phuck You..Phu Quoc pepper does not know it is not part of Cambodia. It has virtually the same weather and soil conditions.
It is marketed by Vietnam just like Kampot pepper is...as a premium pepper.
Google map will give you quite a glimpse at the competition Cambodian pepper growers have these days.
It used to be high quality pepper. Unfortunatley there was a bit of a gold rush and people were buying land anywhere in kampot province and trying to sell it as kampot pepper. My understanding at the time was that, like champagne, the good stuff is very fussy about where it groes, and just planting seeds halfway anywhere you can buy land is not going to cut it. There were complaints a few years back that the quality of kampot pepper had gone down because of this, and that the supply of alleged kampot pepper had gone up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic