Cash and carry Makro ready for business in Phnom Penh

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

Already open last week. Had a croissant. Meh. Largish pillows for under $4 each. Strawberries $2.50 a punnet. I think Lucky's were around $7.

18 Dec 2017 at 14:17 530

People walk around Makro during the opening day on Sunday in Phnom Penh. (Khmer Times photo)
Makro has opened its first supermarket in Phnom Penh, providing a one-stop shopping solution to a wide range of businesses.

The new supermarket is a joint venture between Siam Makro, which operates more than 100 Makro stores in Thailand, and Cambodia’s LYP Group Company Limited, run by tycoon and senator Ly Yong Phat, the Khmer Times reported on Monday.

The new centre operates under a cash and carry scheme, a system of wholesale trading whereby goods are paid for in full at the time of purchase and taken away by the purchaser.

Makro Cambodia sells food and non-food products primarily to registered members, including small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs), retailers, caterers and public institutions. Open every day from 6am to 10pm, it will offer more than 10,000 different products.

Suchada Ithijarukul, the CEO of Siam Makro, said good governance and social responsibility is an integral part of their business model and that they will work with local farmers and SMEs to source their stock.

Makro will improve living conditions in the kingdom by bringing in higher quality food at affordable prices, she said, adding that respect for the environment is also a key component of their operations in Cambodia.

“Today we invest in a new future together,” she said.

“Working hand-in-hand with our business partners, the community and the government, we are proud to deliver to you a business that will meet the professional expectations of hotels, restaurants, retailers, catering agencies and other businesses.

“We are also working with local suppliers and farmers to serve high quality, safe and affordable products, creating a one-stop shopping solution for all,” she added.

Sok Chenda Sophea, the secretary-general for the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), said at the inaugural ceremony on Sunday that Makro supermarket proposes a pioneering concept in the contry and that it is a great addition for food suppliers and buyers.

He said Makro registered with the CDC in December last year. He also pointed out that Thai investment in the country amounted to US$38 million per year on average from 1994 to 2011, but that in the last five years it has increased to US$123 million a year.

“The investment of Makro in Cambodia is important as it reflects the potential of the Cambodian economy and it also builds trust for other Thai and international investors,” Chenda Sophea said.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Cash and carry Makro ready for business in Phnom Penh

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Well done ABC! I didn’t have to click on a link to find out what you’re post was about...thumbs up!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

And it is located where? Please.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

works well here in Thailand BUT u need buy large of everything.
Not good for ordinary shopping. also they were the ONLY store on Phuket Island selling shark fin so caught lots of grief over that
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Yay.

What happens the next time an actress says something bad and the border to Thailand closes? They work any provisions into the deal yet?

Or will my overlarge order of strawberries and baking chocolate be delayed by any political crisis with Thailand?

I hope they thought that through already. I do like LYP, I just hope the rest of the country doesn't "boycott Thailand" one day.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

Prices are in some cases twice what Thailand's are. Buyer beware.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

soup wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 am Prices are in some cases twice what Thailand's are. Buyer beware.
because most of the food is made in Thailand so there is tax to pay. Same applies to pretty much any thai made food in any shop in Cambodia, esp TGM. Only exception is areas where the border is leaky.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''Makro Cambodia sells food and non-food products primarily to registered members, including small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs), retailers, caterers and public institutions

So you have to be a registered member? Not just walk in & shop?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Luigi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 pm ''Makro Cambodia sells food and non-food products primarily to registered members, including small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs), retailers, caterers and public institutions

So you have to be a registered member? Not just walk in & shop?
Officially I think you should register but I went there couple weeks ago and I didn't register. Just normal walk in & shop. No one asked or said anything.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Thanks. They have several membership stores in US, Sams, BJ Warehouse ( gotta love that one) where you pay a yearly membership fee & good deals galore from socks to, appliances, jewelry, groceries to tires & on & on it goes. A decent deal if you have a family or business.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic