Sand Wars

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Sand Wars

Post by phuketrichard »

I know they were dredging sand from the Tonle sap to sell, ( think it was going to Singapore)
This is a good report and worth watching.
:beer3:
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/spe ... 35210.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sand Wars

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CEO News notes: The OP video above will be only available for viewing until 18 October 2019. Worth a watch for those who are interested.

26 September 2019
Phnom Penh: According to figures published by World's Top Exports website (WTEx), which researches the country's sand exports around the world. It has been revealed recently that among the 15 largest sand exporters in the world, Cambodia Ranked # 7, just behind France and ahead of many European and African countries.

Figures on global sand exports for 2018, released in June, showed Cambodia, which is the smallest country from the Southeast Asian region among the 15 countries, has exported 35.6M USD worth of sand.

Compared to 2014, Cambodian sand exports have increased by more than 4600% , the largest increase among sand exporting countries. Of the top 15 exporter countries, the United States ranks first, exporting $ 534 million worth of sand.
[Presumably these are the official export figures.]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

That looks like a nice sandy beach in Singapore. I wonder who owns that.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I've wondered for years where those boats you see on riverside loaded with sand go to and come from.
Been going up and down for years , can't understand the economics of it all.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Landfill, for raising land above rainy season inundation level.
"Cambodia is a land of water" but every wetland is suddenly worth millions more with a few bargeloads of prime Mekong river bottom dumped on top.

River sand has never been exported. Vietnam put a halt to shipment thru VN because they how much it would flock the river.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:48 am Landfill, for raising land above rainy season inundation level.
"Cambodia is a land of water" but every wetland is suddenly worth millions more with a few bargeloads of prime Mekong river bottom dumped on top.

River sand has never been exported. Vietnam put a halt to shipment thru VN because they how much it would flock the river.
I think the Cambodian Export figures a Singapore Import figures would dispute that. Those small barges were that were loaded with river sand from TaTay river , KohKong were being offloaded onto bigger ships just offshore. Weren't some guys arrested for filming the loading a year or so ago ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yes Dunc, but the export sand was all from the coast and estuaries in Koh Kong. Vast amounts and incredibly destructive. Wiped out thousands of fishing families.
I was talking ^^^ about the sand dredging and barges arund Phnom Penh, on the Tonle Sap and Mekong. That sand is all for local use.
Ps, thank god (and mother nature and global witnness) the export ban on the coast has been holding pretty firm for nearly 3 years now. The 2018/19 reports you see refere to the period just before that.

Nb, there is a small amount of high qual silica sand exported legally for glass, taken mostly from onshore coastal deposits. Not a big issue as far as i can see.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

atst wrote:I've wondered for years where those boats you see on riverside loaded with sand go to and come from.
Been going up and down for years , can't understand the economics of it all.
The economics are simple: some people at the top export vast amounts of sand (silica and other types) to Singapore/Taiwan and so on. They then pay little to no royalties for resource extraction, nor taxes, and do so with a complete disregard to any possible ecological ramifications. They can then accumulate personal wealth at everyone else's expense.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yeah ^^^ i saw one informed calculation made only halfway thru fhat massive 7/8 year sand mining castrophe,
Of 500 mill. USD.
One of my own tallys was exactly 151 major vessels engaged at one period , in Koh Kong >>> right up to football field size mega barges being loadrd offshore before being tugged to Singapore.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Is the sand going up the river for local use, and what local use is it for, or is it going o/s ,
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic