Getting a extended Visa to live in Cambodia for a year or two

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Getting a extended Visa to live in Cambodia for a year or two

Post by phuketrichard »

superferret wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am I have been here since 2011, so I am not fresh off the boat. Food prices depend on where you buy and I don't think there is much difference between Greece or Cambodia overall. Eggs are 1.5 euro for 5 in Greece and $1.5 for 10 in a supermarket in PP, a lot cheaper in the market. oin the other hand milk is half the cost in Europe. Cigarettes 4 euro in Greece, $1.50 in Cambodia for Marlborough alcohol is double the price in Greece. my apartment there was no better than my apartment here and cost $350 a month. I do agree thathaving a Khmer girlfriend can be expensive but not all of them are poor or needy. if your a sexpat and go hunting in lady bars then you get what you deserve.
Ok, eggs may cost the same but quality of food is much better in Greece for a similar price. If you've been here that long, aren't you tired of eating the same stuff over and over again? Khmers don't really have much variety in their diet, and the lack of dairy really restricts their options. I don't talk to bar girls, bull all the khmer girlfriends I've had needed extensive support. Most Cambodians are very poor. If you're the kind of guy who selects based on money that works, but if you select by natural attraction and love, you're most likely to end up with a poor one. I don't know about Greece, in Spain you can get much better quality housing for the same money. Any I agree if you're a heavy smoker and beer drinker the savings on that may offset the higher price of other stuff. I'm not a heavy drinker and don't smoke.
two ways to easily solve the problem of dining
1. get alive in gf/wife, show her how to use you tube so she can get ideas of how to cook all kinds of food,( problem is getting all the ingredients thou) and it will cost ya a bit more than typical Cambodian food.
2. eat out at a good different restaurant 4-5days/week, seems to be more and more better ones than when i lived there 9 years ago.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am I have been here since 2011, so I am not fresh off the boat. Food prices depend on where you buy and I don't think there is much difference between Greece or Cambodia overall. Eggs are 1.5 euro for 5 in Greece and $1.5 for 10 in a supermarket in PP, a lot cheaper in the market. oin the other hand milk is half the cost in Europe. Cigarettes 4 euro in Greece, $1.50 in Cambodia for Marlborough alcohol is double the price in Greece. my apartment there was no better than my apartment here and cost $350 a month. I do agree thathaving a Khmer girlfriend can be expensive but not all of them are poor or needy. if your a sexpat and go hunting in lady bars then you get what you deserve.
Ok, eggs may cost the same but quality of food is much better in Greece for a similar price. If you've been here that long, aren't you tired of eating the same stuff over and over again? Khmers don't really have much variety in their diet, and the lack of dairy really restricts their options. I don't talk to bar girls, bull all the khmer girlfriends I've had needed extensive support. Most Cambodians are very poor. If you're the kind of guy who selects based on money that works, but if you select by natural attraction and love, you're most likely to end up with a poor one. I don't know about Greece, in Spain you can get much better quality housing for the same money. Any I agree if you're a heavy smoker and beer drinker the savings on that may offset the higher price of other stuff. I'm not a heavy drinker and don't smoke.
Not sure I would agree about quality of food being better in Greece. IF you eat 9in tourist places you will pay 12 euros for a big portion say pork chop that I can get for $7 in PP. I cook for myself so I eat pretty much what I would at home, pork, chicken, fish. The Khmer place I got to has ahuge cariety from steak to liver all around $4. Don't be fooled by the "poor Cambodian" story. They are often a lot less poor than you think. I know several bar girsl who have nice houses in the village built by one of several barang sponsors. Some earn $300-$500 a month on riverside without going with customers just on lady drinks. Some of the kids in my village get near $500 a month working in Naga because of big tippers. That's not to say there are no poor Khmer, just that they never admit to having money whether they have or not. I don't drink, I do smoke and I am far too old to chase women for money or love, which saves me a hell of a lot
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

How many eggs could a Greek buy in Phnom Penh if he were looking at spending $1000/ month; assuming he also wanted to save some eggs?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

pczz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:23 pm Don't be fooled by the "poor Cambodian" story. They are often a lot less poor than you think. I know several bar girsl who have nice houses in the village built by one of several barang sponsors. Some earn $300-$500 a month on riverside without going with customers just on lady drinks. Some of the kids in my village get near $500 a month working in Naga because of big tippers. That's not to say there are no poor Khmer, just that they never admit to having money whether they have or not. I don't drink, I do smoke and I am far too old to chase women for money or love, which saves me a hell of a lot
I know, but as I said my girlfriends were not bargirls. I wouldn't touch bar girls with a 10 foot pole. Normal Cambodian girls are in fact very poor and their families are poor too, with a few exceptions they do need financial support.
Too old to chase women in Cambodia? I haven't heard that one before. What I heard is once you get past 85, it get's a bit harder with the under 30's :)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:23 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:23 pm Don't be fooled by the "poor Cambodian" story. They are often a lot less poor than you think. I know several bar girsl who have nice houses in the village built by one of several barang sponsors. Some earn $300-$500 a month on riverside without going with customers just on lady drinks. Some of the kids in my village get near $500 a month working in Naga because of big tippers. That's not to say there are no poor Khmer, just that they never admit to having money whether they have or not. I don't drink, I do smoke and I am far too old to chase women for money or love, which saves me a hell of a lot
I know, but as I said my girlfriends were not bargirls. I wouldn't touch bar girls with a 10 foot pole. Normal Cambodian girls are in fact very poor and their families are poor too, with a few exceptions they do need financial support.
Too old to chase women in Cambodia? I haven't heard that one before. What I heard is once you get past 85, it get's a bit harder with the under 30's :)
Poverty is relative. In my village none of them have any monety because they live in little wooden huts, don't have aircon of nice kitchens or double glazing. But they do not want or value these things so they would not spend money on them. they do have televisions. they do get to fish for free, gather fruit and veggies for free, gather firewood for free. In fact they can pretty much live for free. They do spend money on beer,phones, rice wine, and losing at cards. They enjoy these things. Poverty is when you do not have the things you want or need. If you have a simple lifestyle then you are not necessarily poor just because you live in a she and do not have a fridge. the bleating whinging teenagers at home are always complaining how poor they are and how they cannot afford a house as they renew their video streaming contract on their iPhone whilst playing the latest computer games and booking their next teenage binge to prague. It is all relative
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm How many eggs could a Greek buy in Phnom Penh if he were looking at spending $1000/ month; assuming he also wanted to save some eggs?

quite a lot. I have eggs and English bacon for breakfast every day and I typically spend $850 a month including rent, electric, 40 cigarettes a day and 2 nights out drinking a week but I do not go whoring, which many expats seem to consider is essential expenditure as they haven't managed to get laid for free since they were 17, if ever
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

pczz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:32 pm ... they live in little wooden huts, don't have aircon of nice kitchens or double glazing. But they do not want or value these things so they would not spend money on them. they do have televisions.
Yeah of course, the villagers in their wooden huts in your village could afford aircon and nice kitchens, but they don't want them!
Whatever. That's ridiculous. Maybe you live in a good village, but for most of Cambodia what you are saying is very far from the truth.
So keep believing.
Andrea4714
Tourist
Belgium

Post by Andrea4714 »

Ends soon business visa for 3 months. Job and business in Cambodia no. If I extend the visa for another 3 months?

Thank you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Andrea4714 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 pm Ends soon business visa for 3 months. Job and business in Cambodia no. If I extend the visa for another 3 months?

Thank you.
Yes, you can apply for another 3 mth EB EOS.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

pczz wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm How many eggs could a Greek buy in Phnom Penh if he were looking at spending $1000/ month; assuming he also wanted to save some eggs?

quite a lot. I have eggs and English bacon for breakfast every day and I typically spend $850 a month including rent, electric, 40 cigarettes a day and 2 nights out drinking a week but I do not go whoring, which many expats seem to consider is essential expenditure as they haven't managed to get laid for free since they were 17, if ever
But?
Are you, in fact, Greek?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic