Backpackers in pp?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
VirgilCane
Tourist
South Africa

Backpackers in pp?

Post by VirgilCane »

Hi all

Im moving to pp at the end of march and wanted to know if anyone could suggest a cheap but liveable backpackers in pp while I'm gettig set up( looking for apartment, work, etc.)

Thanks in advance.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Backpackers in pp?

Post by Cam Nivag »

There are hostels in Cambodia, I can't speak to what they are like. I've heard of Velkommen backpackers, Mad Monkey, etc.

I will add that, unlike in Europe and the developed world, there are also many cheap guesthouses for $10 a night or even less. Many people who stay at backpackers places in other parts of the world stay at guesthouses in Cambodia in Thailand, where they get their own room, privacy, etc.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

street 172 and take your choice
i stay at Longlin House, corner of st 19 and 172
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Yeah, Mad Monkey and St. 172 are decent. In that order. Mad Monkey may have some flashpackers in nicer BKK1, and I personally like the blonde, tanned European girls you sometimes encounter. Just me, I like beauty in all her forms.

I wouldn't suggest Velkommen because it's in a depressed area and isn't so great. Think unknown stains on the couches and carefree youngsters swilling it up! Where all the young alcoholics go on the Riverside.

St. 172 is relatively harmless, and full of interesting people, and really cool weirdos. Frank Lee Bent is both interesting AND weird, haha.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Peter
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Peter »

I arrived a week ago and i found a nice appartment within 3 days, its rly easy here, if you need i can pm you a phone number of a real estate guy who helped me to find a decent place for a good price. He doesnt charge anything, just tell him what you looking for, like size and price aso. and he show you some places.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

He does charge you anything? Or he doesn't charge YOU directly?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they usually get the first month's rent.
i imagine it would also be possible that they could jack up the rent price for a further margin
Peter
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Peter »

its like frank lee b. said they get 1 months rent from the owner. in some cases they will try to charge a higher rent i guess thats why its good to have a trustworthy guy, i double checked with the english speaking owners, a nice khmer family.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Peter wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 am I arrived a week ago and i found a nice appartment within 3 days, its rly easy here, if you need i can pm you a phone number of a real estate guy who helped me to find a decent place for a good price. He doesnt charge anything, just tell him what you looking for, like size and price aso. and he show you some places.
Maybe he doesn't charge you, but only an idiot would believe he could survive by working for free.

Landlord pays him one month and very often he inflates the rent, so you did get charged, indirectly.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Any way you pay.

1. Guesthouse, meet more people, learn more, more sharing, higher cost than apt.,
2. Pay for an agent, pay a higher than normal rent for a while, more privacy / alone,
3. Get a bike (gas and helmet and annoying fines), more searching (time cost), more work, maybe language confusion, decent priced apt, or
4. Friend is competent to sort all that out for you entirely. :)

I've done them all. Take your pick.

REMEMBER: 2017-2018 IS A RENTER'S MARKET. GET YOURS, IF YOU'RE A GOOD TENANT.

DON'T LET THEM SNOOKER YOU, THE NEWBIE!! BUT PAY FOR GOOD SERVICE.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic