Samudera supermarket Sihanoukville, who owns this disaster?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Samudera supermarket Sihanoukville, who owns this disaster?

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Ah, Thai Huot in Phnom Penh.

In the original supermarket on Monivong, you can still see the little old grandma overseeing things and occasionally bagging an item or two for the little ones, etc.

Constant supervision by at least one member of the family.

Go see her and buy at her store if you appreciate personal supervision from the owner. Flawless when she's around. She's a bit rickety now but she's going down fighting, haha!
Last edited by SmartAston Martin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

superferret wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:40 am
Kentish Man wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:02 pm
Sorry 'super ferret' I have to agree with 'Mr Cynical'. Samudera have made their money over the years and for a long time we’re the only real players in town. The only other real alternative is Orange.

I don't come from 'South Sudan' but London so I know what to expect from a decent supermarket. I'm not suggesting Samudera would survive in business in among the high-quality and high-price supermarkets in central London but it is located in Sihanoukville and for a Cambodian supermarket it may be one or two issues but the produce and service in the supermarket is acceptable.

If it wasn't providing a good service, it would have gone bust years ago. As it happens, it had plenty of customers when I visited it this morning. If Samudera was equivalent to a supermarket in 'South Sudan', then customers would voted with their feet and gone shopping somewhere else.
Two things, first "we're" means "we are" so learn to spell because it's pretty brutal.
Second, you guys must not know much about the concept of ethical business. Business is not just about making money, a business person fills a role in the community and makes a living by providing a service, and as such has a responsibility to provide a good service to that community, even if he/she can get rich by not doing so. If Madam Samudera happens to be the provider of my food, and she makes me stand in long lines because despite her very significant wealth, she is too cheap to hire one or two more Cambodian workers, if she overworks her workers and provides a highly stressful environment because she's too cheap to hire one more staff member. If her store looks like shit and not knowing the price of things is a constant problem and waste of time for hundreds of her customers, that means she disrespects her clients, she disrespects her workers, and she disrespects her community.
Why? Because 5-10 dollars per day are more important to her, then respecting her customers, workers, community.
Since the money it would require to make this into a normal store like Lucky in Phnom Penh would be so minimal, Madame Samudera is the definition of a no-good, money grubbing, unprofessional, disrespectful businesswomen, and she is also a poor business person, because she's losing tons of money because of this. If she was an real business pro, she would realize how much she's losing.
Look at Lucky supermarkets in Phnom Penh as a comparison.
Lucky is not a reference.
Don't forget the water buffalo
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Kentish Man wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am You should have written:
'Because 5-10 dollars per day are more important to her, than respecting her customers, workers, and community.'
There should be no comma after 'her', and the one after workers is debatable.

I would personally also say '5-10 Dollars per day IS more important'.
Kentish Man
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Kentish Man »

that genius wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 pm
'Because 5-10 dollars per day are more important to her, than respecting her customers, workers, and community.'

Oxford comma
noun
a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’ (e.g. an Italian painter, sculptor, and architect ).
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kentish Man wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Oxford comma
noun
a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’ (e.g. an Italian painter, sculptor, and architect ).
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I'm a betterer English teacher than You! So THERE!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Kindly explain to me why the comma after 'her' is correct.

You didn't mention that at all.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Block text. Don't bother with commas unless it's a list.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic