Baker refuses to bake cake for gays

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Re: Baker refuses to bake cake for gays

Post by kptic »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm
jmagic wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 pm Its exactly the opposite. The baker isnt trying to change anybodys mind. He is trying to mind his own business. The couple and the state are forcing the baker to agree with them, or face a massive business killing fine.
No, he is saying that he will only sell wedding cakes to people that he approves of. What next ? Ask for their marriage license ? Check that the man and the woman are REALLY what they say they are ? FFS, its a cake. Either you want to sell it or not.
;)
He is not saying that he will only sell cakes to people he approves of. He is saying that they are free to buy any of the cakes that he has already prepared, or even a custom cake, but he does not want to be compelled to spend his time and labor baking a custom cake with a message he disapproves of. He will sell the customer a cake as long as it is not a Big Gay Al cake. :-o
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

kptic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 am
jmagic wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 pm Its exactly the opposite. The baker isnt trying to change anybodys mind. He is trying to mind his own business. The couple and the state are forcing the baker to agree with them, or face a massive business killing fine.
No, he is saying that he will only sell wedding cakes to people that he approves of. What next ? Ask for their marriage license ? Check that the man and the woman are REALLY what they say they are ? FFS, its a cake. Either you want to sell it or not.
;)
He is not saying that he will only sell cakes to people he approves of. He is saying that they are free to buy any of the cakes that he has already prepared, or even a custom cake, but he does not want to be compelled to spend his time and labor baking a custom cake with a message he disapproves of.He will sell the customer a cake as long as it is not a Big Gay Al cake. :-o
How can we tell if a cake is gay or straight ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

beaker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 am
kptic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 am
;)
He is not saying that he will only sell cakes to people he approves of. He is saying that they are free to buy any of the cakes that he has already prepared, or even a custom cake, but he does not want to be compelled to spend his time and labor baking a custom cake with a message he disapproves of.He will sell the customer a cake as long as it is not a Big Gay Al cake. :-o
How can we tell if a cake is gay or straight ?
By the color of the cream or chocolate on top.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

It's a sign of how fucked up our world is, when people are dying in wars and from curable diseases every day, but a gay cake becomes the hot topic.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 am
timmydownawell wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:58 pm My Business, i can choose who i serve or not serve.
NO goverment should have the right to tell you who u must sell to anymore, for whatever reason, than tell you you u must worship
Be sure to hang a "No Gays" sign on your door. See how that goes.
Anchor Moy wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:58 pm My Business, i can choose who i serve or not serve.
NO goverment should have the right to tell you who u must sell to anymore, for whatever reason, than tell you you u must worship
This should have nothing to do with governments, just some decency. Your nationality, skin colour, religion, or sexual preferences, should not be a factor when you go into a shop. :please:
C'mon. :facepalm:
I'm with Richard 100%. If you want to hang a "no gays" sign on your business wall, you should be able to, BUT as you pointed out, how will that work out? If it doesn't work out, it's a business opportunity for someone else... The free market takes care of itself.

Should a black tailor business owner be forced to make hoodies for the perfectly legal KKK?

Should a Muslim chef be forced to make bacon sandwiches?

You should legally be allowed to be as stupid as you want, and if a seller or buyer can't agree on a transaction, the customer needs to find a business who will, or start their own, and the owner can either thrive or be pushed out of the market, based on what they will or will not offer.

I don't know the details of the cake case going to court, but based on current laws, I assume he has a much better chance of winning if he won't make a gay cake for ANY customer vs if he won't make any cake at all for a gay people.

But I just don't get why anyone would want a government making so many basic decisions for them.

My prediction is that the baker will NOT be forced to make a gay cake, and there will be enough liberal tears to put out the forest fires in California.

Based on this vid, it seems he won't make a gay cake for anyone, but will gladly make a normal cake for the gay couple:

Australia's just gone through this conversation re: gay marriage, and multiple amendments to the Bill, allowing religious and so-called conscientious belief exemptions all got voted down. What about the rights of a customer? If you are getting married in a small, remote town and there's only one baker and they're a bigot who refuses to make you a cake because of their "conscientious beliefs" (that's newspeak for bigotry), how is that right? So the market won't necessarily take care of itself, in that regard.

As for your examples, a Muslim chef (and we are talking in terms of it being their own business here) would not stock pork/bacon products in the first place so that's easy. The Tailor.. I just don't know.

That the guy would apparently make other cakes for the gay couple but not a wedding cake definitely complicates the matter. Seems particularly petty tbh. All he has to do is stick two little grooms on the top - or sell them the cake without the grooms and they can source them separately and plonk them on themselves. He needs to get over himself.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Jim Gil »

BEAKER wrote;

HOW DO WE TELL IF A CAKE IS GAY OR STRAIGHT.

You have to ask for the fruit cake.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

If his art was ballet instead of baking should the government have the right to force him to preform "gay" ballets?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

f his art was ballet instead of baking should the government have the right to force him to preform "gay" ballets?

Maybe, but they probably wouldn't allow him to wear a tutu.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Does NOT look appetizing -

You could be next.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »