bought some mangoes today

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

bought some mangoes today

Post by Imposter555 »

first time in forever
was buying papaya as usual when she offered a price on the mangoes
got two smallish ones for 1000 reil for the two together.
unbelievable. mostly i dont even ask the price because they are usually far too expensive in comparison to the other good quality fruit that is readily available in thailand
yes was so impressed that i posted this.
perhaps proof of the pudding is in the eating. havent done so yet, perhaps they are those very stringy mangoes that stick in your teeth and mess all down your shirt.
Last edited by Imposter555 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: bought some mangoes today

Post by Duncan »

I can see a case of mad mangomania disease comming on,
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah- but i bet they gouged you on the pineapples
it is chronic in the region
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Imposter555 are you from Africa?

Cambodia doesn't have stringy mangoes.

10,000 riel for 10 (yellow mangos)
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

that genius wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:14 pm Imposter555 are you from Africa?

Cambodia doesn't have stringy mangoes.

10,000 riel for 10 (yellow mangos)
going back a while i am quite certain i have bought stringy Mangoes in SEA am also fairly certain it was cambodia. cant recall eating stringy mangoes or any mangoes at all in africa, can definitely recall eating stringy mangoes in australia. never had stringy mangoes in thailand
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

SE Asian species are not usually stringy.

I've eaten 14 different types of mangoes in Thailand and Cambodia, not one was stringy. It's the main reason I prefer SE Asian ones.

Some Indian species (there are at least 205 different mangoes) are, and most African species are.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

that genius wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:33 pm SE Asian species are not usually stringy.

I've eaten 14 different types of mangoes in Thailand and Cambodia, not one was stringy. It's the main reason I prefer SE Asian ones.

Some Indian species (there are at least 205 different mangoes) are, and most African species are.
I think the closer you get to the seed there is some stringie bits, Ask anyone with bad teeth if they need a tooth pick after eating a mango and you will know.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

so i ate one with a spoon to get at it. would say not stringy, but on finishing and sucking on the seed, yes have a few strings in my teeth, taste is like the stringy mangoes from australia .from what i recall thai non stringy expensive mangoes have a better taste.

am i going to go out and buy some more of the same soon. no not soon.

even the coconuts in cambodia dont match their thai counter parts for tastiness. many cambo coconuts i have been given are "spry" and those that werent spry tasted like water. even though i am there watching it being opened.
Last edited by Imposter555 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Imposter555 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm so i ate one with a spoon to get at it. would say not stringy, but on finishing and sucking on the seed, yes have a few strings in my teeth, taste is like the stringy mangoes from australia .from what i recall thai non stringy expensive mangoes have a better taste.

even the coconuts in cambodia dont match their thai counter parts for tastiness

Should we BAN this guy or just send him back to Thailand.
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

Duncan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm
Imposter555 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm so i ate one with a spoon to get at it. would say not stringy, but on finishing and sucking on the seed, yes have a few strings in my teeth, taste is like the stringy mangoes from australia .from what i recall thai non stringy expensive mangoes have a better taste.

even the coconuts in cambodia dont match their thai counter parts for tastiness

Should we BAN this guy or just send him back to Thailand.
i am here for a longer term even with the tasteless food lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic