bought some mangoes today

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: bought some mangoes today

Post by taabarang »

whatever. (all right which border can you transport foreign produce across and then sell in phnom penh at a profit for 1 usd/kilo)"

Any border actually, but my first guess would be Vietnam. The price is low, because the mangoes are out of season 3rd quality. Wait until March through May for 1st quality mangoes, especially Chinese glass mangoes and Chinese coconut milk mangoes.

As for Duncan's comment, it was an attempt at humor and is irrelevant to my post.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Taa has said this 100x, but I'll repeat it because it's relevant for every discussion about the price of fruit and vegetables - produce is SEASONAL.
:santa:
I get the feeling that many here are city kids brought up with supermarkets, so don't realise that it is normal for most fruit and veges to be expensive/imported/less delicious/impossible-to-find at certain times of the year.

Don't expect all produce to be available all year round, and even if it is available that doesn't mean it will taste good. Mangoes and pineapples included.
Gumby
Expatriate
Madagascar

Post by Gumby »

Imposter555 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:58 pm other thing i buy in phnom penh that i dont/cant buy elsewhere is soursop

Best place to buy soursop (Khmer call them tiab barang) is in Sen Monorom. Delicious fruit. Tastes like champagne.
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

taabarang wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 am whatever. (all right which border can you transport foreign produce across and then sell in phnom penh at a profit for 1 usd/kilo)"

Any border actually, but my first guess would be Vietnam. The price is low, because the mangoes are out of season 3rd quality. Wait until March through May for 1st quality mangoes, especially Chinese glass mangoes and Chinese coconut milk mangoes.
still cant wear it.
if they are vietnamese mangoes why would the season be different, if they are vietnamese mangoes, why wouldnt they be able to be grown in cambodia as well?

so you see a middle man costs x N, transport costs, border crossing costs, old lady seller costs, picker costs, growers costs, land ownership costs, foreign exchange costs in a price of 1 usd/kg in phnom penh on the street?

would/should go ask her but my cambodian speak is long out of current. plus she probably still not there having sold all her produce already lol.
must be other mango seller about that some one can ask
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

" The price is low, because the mangoes are out of season"
goes contrary to any fruit purchase i have ever made irrespective of quallity. these are not bad quality fruit i have purchased, just not optimal thai quality fruits. still 100 % edible quality
Last edited by Imposter555 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Imposter555 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 pm " The price is low, because the mangoes are out of season"
goes contrary to any fruit purchase i have ever made irrespective of quallity. these are not bad quality fruit i have purchased, just not optimal thai quality fruits. still 100 % edible
Most fruit and veg is imported from Thailand or Vietnam. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:49 pm
Imposter555 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 pm " The price is low, because the mangoes are out of season"
goes contrary to any fruit purchase i have ever made irrespective of quallity. these are not bad quality fruit i have purchased, just not optimal thai quality fruits. still 100 % edible
except for taabarangs mangos, and Gumby soursop, and the lotus stems, and the coconuts, and the corn cobs, and the avocados, and the tarantulas, and the local coffee, and the sugar cane, er.. and the street seller ladys mangoes

lol
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Imposter555 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm
except for taabarangs mangos, and Gumby soursop, and the lotus stems, and the coconuts, and the corn cobs, er.. and the street seller ladys mangoes

lol
Yes I now understand this. I live on a boarder town, in the early night, there are many trucks passing from the Thai boarder laden with fruits to distribute over Cambodia. Battambang is the same with a large fruit and veg distributor market.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

most days you can see the trucks lined up on the aran side of the border for a couple of kilometers
https://www.google.com/maps/@13.668649, ... 6656?hl=en

but dont give any indication of the content. i know fairly well the price of fruit in thailand and yes on asking am often given a price that is higher for the same thai looking fruits in cambodia and so had assumed they were imports.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Optimal quality produce from Thailand and Vietnam is being sold elsewhere for higher prices. Thats why we get the cheap and not so good products in Cambodia.
1000r for two mangoes ? Nobody else wants them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic