Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 42971
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2568
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

High season is kicking off. Watch out for your valuables.
A French couple got a bag nicked from a Koh Rong beach containing everything that matters.This was posted yesterday, updated today.
Image
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 5321
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1560
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by hanno »

Walking along the beach at night with all your belongings in a single bag is not a good idea anywhere in the world, not even in frogland.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 14752
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2769
Location: កម្ពុជា
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:11 am Walking along the beach at night with all your belongings in a single bag is not a good idea anywhere in the world, not even in frogland.
yup dont understand why people do it, surely most hostels have safes these days?!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
that genius
Expatriate
Posts: 4065
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am
Reputation: 960
Sweden

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by that genius »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 amyup dont understand why people do it, surely most hostels have safes these days?!
Would you leave all your valuable possessions in a safe at Flamingo?
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 5321
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1560
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by hanno »

that genius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 amyup dont understand why people do it, surely most hostels have safes these days?!
Would you leave all your valuable possessions in a safe at Flamingo?
If I were backpacking (God forbid), I would find ways to keep my stash safe. And I certainly would not put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 14752
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2769
Location: កម្ពុជា
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm
that genius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 amyup dont understand why people do it, surely most hostels have safes these days?!
Would you leave all your valuable possessions in a safe at Flamingo?
If I were backpacking (God forbid), I would find ways to keep my stash safe. And I certainly would not put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
wheres flamingo?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
Kuroneko
Expatriate
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 am
Reputation: 765

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by Kuroneko »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm
that genius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 amyup dont understand why people do it, surely most hostels have safes these days?!
Would you leave all your valuable possessions in a safe at Flamingo?
If I were backpacking (God forbid), I would find ways to keep my stash safe. And I certainly would not put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
wheres flamingo?
Is (was?) on 172 St next to the Black Cat bar and originally owned by the same people. http://www.flamingos.com.kh/contact_us.php

Don't be fooled by the website, it's a pretty "dire" place IMO! And to answer "that genius" I would not go near the place, let alone trust the safe :lol:
Holdfast
Tourist
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:20 pm
Reputation: 3
Australia

Re: Theft on Koh Rong - passports, money, cards etc stolen

Post by Holdfast »

Flamingos, the hotel was gutted at least 4-5 months ago, walked past about 5 weeks ago and it was still gutted. I understand the brothers have sold and the building refurbished in a new hotel. It was a good, or maybe a fun hotel several years ago and before, and more so before a certain manager Mr B started rifling through the room safes!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post