New driving license procedure for foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by pczz »

Apparently the law changed recently and if you want to renew your 1 year khmer license you now have to visit the Department of Public Works and transport in the far north outskirts of the city, although there is apparently an office in Sihanoukville according to a recent Facebook post. Agents cannot do it for you. I tried all the usual including Lucky and they cannot help anymore.
So i trotted off at 7 am this morning and arrived at the ministry at 8. Staff opened up at 8.30 and first step they quickly check your papers and then send you across the carpark for an eye test. They check your weight and height by asking you what they are and fill in a few forms and relieve you of $2.50.
Step 2 back to the office to have all your papers checked, about 6 times and then you are given a piece of paper to take to the Wing office in the car park and pay $7.25. Bring back the receipt and wait for the new license to be printed.
So what do you need?
1 YOU MUST HAVE a current valid license for your country of origin. if it has expired you will not get your khmer licesne renewed and they will tell you to go book a test. A German guy and 2 Philippinos were turned away while i was there because their licenses had expired
2 You need a photocopy and original of your passport id page and your visa page with 6 months visa still to run. I had 5 months and they were ok with that, but if you have less you may have a problem. There is a free photocopy machine in the same block as the eye test
3 Photocopy and original of your driving license from your home country. This must be in Khmer or English. if not they will make you get it translated at your embassy. Having said that a Czech guy explained that there was nowhere in Cambodia to get a translation, and they let him get away with it, so up too you.
I was not asked for a lease or any form of proof of address, they just used the address on the old license.
Someone else asked if they still needed a license for a 125 and the desk clerk said no-one needs one, including foreigners
All in all it took around 4 hours plus traveling time. An hour of that was wasted waiting for staff to turn up for work, which they did eventually, and a delay when the printer ran out of ink so not so bad as i was expecting.
If you want to take the test you will get a 10 year license depending on your age. I think license expire when you reach 66 or around that age so check before you do it.
Also if you want to take the test, or it is your first application to swap your home country license for a khmer 1 year license you now HAVE TO provide a lease and a residence certificate from the Sangkat where you live. Mine was a renewal so they didn't ask for any proof of address.
Finally, if you don't have a Khmer to take with you, one of the agents called Kim is often there and she speaks perfect English and knows everyone in the office. if you want her to hold your hand she can be contacted on 092256388 or 081 820 388. She was the only agent there when i went and the office staff don't speak much English
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by willyhilly »

That all sounds pretty reasonable, they are quite efficient at that place. Poor Lucky Lucky missing out again, they may have to start a motor cycle rental business or something.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

How would a person have a valid unexpired who has been here for many years or is that only needed for the first time Khmer license ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

beaker wrote:How would a person have a valid unexpired who has been here for many years or is that only needed for the first time Khmer license ?
Unless you did the exam back then, you've simply "transferred" your own license to a Cambodian one. If you never did the exam and your home license is expired, then I'm guessing you'll have to do the test. Anyways, that procedure is what I did a bit over a year ago. Same prices and quite transparent.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am
beaker wrote:How would a person have a valid unexpired who has been here for many years or is that only needed for the first time Khmer license ?
Unless you did the exam back then, you've simply "transferred" your own license to a Cambodian one. If you never did the exam and your home license is expired, then I'm guessing you'll have to do the test. Anyways, that procedure is what I did a bit over a year ago. Same prices and quite transparent.
So was it a test in english ?
I didn't take the exam but I've had khmer license for 6 years or so and if i go before it expires then I still need to take the test ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Good summary. Aligns with my experience in September, apart from this:
pczz wrote: 1 YOU MUST HAVE a current valid license for your country of origin. if it has expired you will not get your khmer licesne renewed and they will tell you to go book a test. A German guy and 2 Philippinos were turned away while i was there because their licenses had expired
If you are renewing your Khmer licence, you do not need to show a licence from your country. At least I don't recall showing them my Australian licence, though it is still valid. The lady at window 3 next to the anti corruption poster, who seems to be some kind of gatekeeper, will take cash for paperwork discrepancies, ad I witnessed.
My previous Khmer licence had expired in 2014. They renewed it without any questions.

Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Hmm. My visa will only have 3 months left on it when my DL needs renewal. I would have thought that as long as its not a tourist visa you should be ok. What about the folk who reckon they are only getting 3 months EB visa now/ Not allowed a further licence? :|
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am Good summary. Aligns with my experience in September, apart from this:
pczz wrote: 1 YOU MUST HAVE a current valid license for your country of origin. if it has expired you will not get your khmer licesne renewed and they will tell you to go book a test. A German guy and 2 Philippinos were turned away while i was there because their licenses had expired
If you are renewing your Khmer licence, you do not need to show a licence from your country. At least I don't recall showing them my Australian licence, though it is still valid. The lady at window 3 next to the anti corruption poster, who seems to be some kind of gatekeeper, will take cash for paperwork discrepancies, ad I witnessed.
My previous Khmer licence had expired in 2014. They renewed it without any questions.
Rules have changed, even for renewing your Cambodian DL you have to provide your valid foreign DL...if you’re foreign DL is expired then you have to go through the testing process.

It’s all bound to change again though.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 pm
epidemiks wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am Good summary. Aligns with my experience in September, apart from this:
Rules have changed, even for renewing your Cambodian DL you have to provide your valid foreign DL...if you’re foreign DL is expired then you have to go through the testing process.

It’s all bound to change again though.
I guess a lot's been changing in recent months! At least doing the test will get you a 10 year licence.. right?
darayd
Expatriate
Australia

Post by darayd »

Thanks for this, it will be really useful
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic