Christmas in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
skyfalcon
Tourist
United States of America

Christmas in Cambodia?

Post by skyfalcon »

Just a question out of curiosity for any of you long-time expats: when did Christmas become a consumer bonanza that starts at the end of September? I find xmas celebrations in 30 degree climates pretty hilarious in general (I'm from the US midwest), but it's just so funny to see trees, fake snow and wrapped gifts all over the place here too. Do you know when this trend started?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Christmas in Cambodia?

Post by bolueeleh »

the subterfuge started when TV shows, movies, war ships with thousands of sailors deboarded, mickey D, coca cola and the gangs came, i think, i may be wrong, so dont complain and enjoy sexy santa helper while you can.

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I first came here in "96." so I would guesstimate around the year 2000. Khmai were starting to feel the pinch of the absence of UNTAC dollars and started dreaming of a ",White Christmas."
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

In my experience it's only really been the past few years, this year more so, Aeon Mall has gone overboard...like they did for Halloween and Valentine's Day.

The majority of Cambodians still have no idea what Christmas is and don't celebrate it.

As for Christmas in the summertime, us Southern Hemisphere folk are used to that, Christmas in NZ is all bout backyard bbqs/hangis, beers and spending time with family.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Christmas in the UK:
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

pagan winter solstice, roman saturnalia & german yule bastardised into so called christmas

lets put the Saturn back in saturnalia
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

chorlton wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:23 pm pagan winter solstice, roman saturnalia & german yule bastardised into so called christmas

lets put the Saturn back in saturnalia
Well I know what I would prefer -

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Now this may sound crazy to you but,, I am so anti- christmas, that for many many years I have always eaten baked beans with eggs on toast for my meal of the day so it resembles nothing like xmas.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Duncan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:48 pm Now this may sound crazy to you but,, I am so anti- christmas, that for many many years I have always eaten baked beans with eggs on toast for my meal of the day so it resembles nothing like xmas.
not at all
each to their own

its all man made & meaningless so do or don't do, whatever you want
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

luckily no one has told them about Canadian and USA Thanksgiving, which are 2 different dates. both would be readily adopted here if they knew.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic