Nigerian gets email from Cambodian. Answers.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Nigerian gets email from Cambodian. Answers.

Post by Abc123 »

Your Human Dignity 101 By Pius Adesanmi.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/12/01/y ... s-adesanmi
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Nigerian gets email from Cambodian. Answers.

Post by vladimir »

Chip. Shoulder. on.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i did read the lengthy and verbose article but could not see any bearing on Cambodia; just seemed a Nigerian diatribe.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Yeah, not sure of the point, but I have an idea.

Let's just say it's not to promote racial harmony.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

I think it is supposed to be about dignity. In the opening passage the writer says

'I like it when a reader who genuinely wants abstractions to be broken down into concrete, demonstrable public information takes me to task. I thank the brother who came inbox from Cambodia - Naija, una dey waka sha - and wanted me to elaborate on dignity. I have been harping a lot on the theme of dignity lately. My thesis has been that the fundamental human dignity of the Nigerian citizen is the first casualty of the irredeemable hubris of the Nigerian state and her officials.'

Not sure what is racist about that remark. I haven't read the complete article yet, but I have always found a lot of commonality between how a lot of poor people's nations are run.

'At the local, state, and Federal levels, Nigerian officials are so arrogant, so full of themselves, so convinced that they are dispensers of value to unworthy, lowly citizens that human dignity is not feasible in Nigeria. I thought we were on the same page but the brother from Cambodia sensitized me to the need to be illustrative.'
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Nigerians are a proselytizing, opinionated, religion ridden lot with untrustworthy names like goodluck, goodwill, blessings etc. i have 2 Nigerian friends though and they are fine. one is an 18 year old beekeeper/student who supports his widowed mum.
It is a hotbed of enterprise there with lots of political axe grinding given the tribal and religious divisions.

NB; Nigeria is not a "race".
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pmI haven't read the complete article yet, but I have always found a lot of commonality between how a lot of poor people's nations are run.
We're on the same page, the difference is I read it all to try and find the relevance.

tbh, many rich nations are run the same way, the only thing that differs is the delivery of the humiliation/arrogance.

Pretty sure Nigeria has a progressive labour law, but it is not enforced, and it's not just Nigerians keeping it that way.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/LabourAct.htm

Part I, general provisions:

15. Wages shall become due and payable at the end of each period for which the contract is expressed to subsist, that is to say, daily, weekly or at such other period as may be agreed upon:
Provided that, where the period is more than one month, the wages shall become due and payable at intervals not exceeding one month.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

vladimir wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:20 pm
Abc123 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 pmI haven't read the complete article yet, but I have always found a lot of commonality between how a lot of poor people's nations are run.
We're on the same page, the difference is I read it all to try and find the relevance.

tbh, many rich nations are run the same way, the only thing that differs is the delivery of the humiliation/arrogance.

Pretty sure Nigeria has a progressive labour law, but it is not enforced, and it's not just Nigerians keeping it that way.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/LabourAct.htm

Part I, general provisions:

15. Wages shall become due and payable at the end of each period for which the contract is expressed to subsist, that is to say, daily, weekly or at such other period as may be agreed upon:
Provided that, where the period is more than one month, the wages shall become due and payable at intervals not exceeding one month.
OK, let's forget Frank's racist rant.

I think the writer's point is that it is different in our western nations. He uses his own experience of receiving wages half a day late in the US presumably, although he doesn't say, and compares it with his Own nation when late payment occurs. Its very common not to get paid on time in a lot of poor countries, and they certainly don't apologize for it. I have read stories in the Cambodian press where people have been demonstrating for not being paid, and of late payment. The idea of working for someone and then that someone not keeping to the agreement as far as the date the wages are payed to employees is extremely annoying and very often highly inconvenient. We work for money so we and our families can live after all.

He is saying they don't offer their people dignity and uses wages as an illustration.

'They make you feel that dignity is fit only for oyinbo people.'

You probably know that oyinbo isn't a tribe , but means white people.

I personally would want to be paid on time, especially if I had a family to feed and was broke at the end of the week/ month. The apology is extra, he just uses it as a way of showing how different things are in places that offer people more dignity.
I remember years ago when I was working in London, the female owner of the company used to come every Friday to pay the wages. One week she forgot, it's not a great feeling. And when it's endemic throughout the system in so many areas of life....

You can compare it to here or not, but I think they are not so far removed myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic