Got a question, guys

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ronny
BANNED

Got a question, guys

Post by Ronny »

So here's the deal: I've been here for about 2 months now and crossed the border at Poi Pet and applied for and received a 1-month EB visa (I was overcharged but screw the vultures. So anyways, 1 month elapses and I get a 3 month EB business with the reason being that I can't be given the 1 year visa that I wanted because I have yet to get a letter of employment from an employer. Ok, fine, but the thing is that I'm planning on going with my girlfriend to the Philippines at the end of December and was essentially told by someone "in the know" that when I returned, I would essentially have to start all over and apply for a new EB 1-month business visa at Siem Reap Airport and then apply for a new EBvisa the next month. How is this possible. Aren't I allowed to leave Cambodia at least once since I already have an EB 3-month visa? Please guys, tell me what you know as I find the idea of totally starting over just because I want to take a 2-week vacation ridiculous. Thanks in advance.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Got a question, guys

Post by Username Taken »

EB 3-month visa is Single Entry.

Looks like you start over again. Still going to cost around the same.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

First things first... You got a 1 mth E-type (Ordinary) visa on arrival (there is no EB VOA)...you then got a 3 mth EB (Business) Extension of Stay.

VOA's and 1 & 3 mth EOS's are single entry only...that single entry being you're initial entry.

Only 6 & 12 mth extensions of stay are multi-entry...so yes, when you return you will need to start fresh, apply for the 1 mth E-type VOA and then apply for an EOS.

If you're not working, or are looking for work, then apply for a 6 mth EG (General) EOS, once you gain employment then apply for the EB EOS...or if youre an old geezer, apply for the ER (Retirement) EOS.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

...and if you think it's ridiculous, then maybe you should have planned better in the first place by doing a bit of research...all the info is available on this site, the other forum and FB groups.

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Haha, PSD-Kiwi, I know the feeling!

I give it 48 hours before some bozo asks you a question you already covered in your first post or attacks you personally.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:32 pm First things first... You got a 1 mth E-type (Ordinary) visa on arrival (there is no EB VOA)...you then got a 3 mth EB (Business) Extension of Stay.

VOA's and 1 & 3 mth EOS's are single entry only...that single entry being you're initial entry.

Only 6 & 12 mth extensions of stay are multi-entry...so yes, when you return you will need to start fresh, apply for the 1 mth E-type VOA and then apply for an EO

If you're not working, or are looking for work, then apply for a 6 mth EG (General) EOS, once you gain employment then apply for the EB EOS...or if youre an old geezer, apply for the ER (Retirement) EOS.
I got it. But like I said, when I crossed the Poi Pet border crossing, I asked and received the EB Visa thinking it was the "Ordinary" visa and they at first said I can ony get this at the airport. But with a little charm and $85, they gave me the EB Visa. And after 1 month, I was given a 3-month EB Visa. Do you think I'll have any problems in the future? And btw, I plan on teaching English here.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:40 pm ...and if you think it's ridiculous, then maybe you should have planned better in the first place by doing a bit of research...all the info is available on this site, the other forum and FB groups.

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance
So since I did get the EB visa on arrival for 1 month and now have a 3-month EB visa, will I encounter any problems down the road. Forgive me for my stupidity, but I value your advice above all others.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Is there an "EB" stamp on the visa that you got at the Poipet border? If you need clarification, feel free to confidentially send me a pic of the visa via private message.

I don't foresee you having any issues, as long as the visa issue date matches the entry stamp date.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:34 pm Is there an "EB" stamp on the visa that you got at the Poipet border? If you need clarification, feel free to confidentially send me a pic of the visa via private message.

I don't foresee you having any issues, as long as the visa issue date matches the entry stamp date.
Gotcha. But there's more. I just rechecked my passport and lo and behold, the first visa I got simply said "Business Visa (no EB to be found) and it was for 3 MONTHS! But on the top left corner someone stamped "used". And get this; on the next page there's another visa stamp that was for 1 month that didn't tell you what kind of visa it was at all! But thank goodness my last visa IS an EB Visa that I got from PP that is exactly the same type of visa my Filipina gf uses to teach English (valid for 3 months). Try not to laugh too hard, Kiwi. I lived in Thailand for years and totally knew the system but here I feel like an idiot right now because I have become one, lol. I just nothing comes of this.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

I just "hope" nothing comes of this...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic