Snooky cops traffic stop

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TheFriar
Tourist
Cambodia

Snooky cops traffic stop

Post by TheFriar »

So I got pulle dover on my bike today...helmet yup, license, yup. Mirrors Nope.

I was told to get mirrors, (I got one, for the left side; but literally can't instal one on the right side).

Is there any roadworthiness list/law that specifies what a motorbike has to have?
I did the google search thingy and it came up zilch.

How does one handle this type of shiite, for next time I get pulled over.
(Please assume I'm not willing to kick the the cop away and speed off out of reach)
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Snooky cops traffic stop

Post by tonetone420 »

Maybe you could weld the mirrors to the bike? Maybe post a picture. Might work might not, traffic cops are scumbags.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

tonetone420 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 am Maybe you could weld the mirrors to the bike? Maybe post a picture. Might work might not, traffic cops are scumbags.

Maybe they have learnt a few tricks off their customers ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Duct tape a dentist's mirror on.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Mirrors, or at least the number of mirrors required on a motorbike, aren't stipulated in traffic law, though I've not ever found the latest version (2016) in English.

Not hard to find a single mirror clamp if you've got space on the bar. Or bar end mirrors, will fit any bike - assuming you don't have bark busters. "cafe racer accessories shop" on fb should have some.

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

TheFriar wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am Is there any roadworthiness list/law that specifies what a motorbike has to have?
The law on mirrors has been in force since 2006, I did a google search "motorcycle mirrors cambodia" And the first article that came up was that below. From memory I think the fine is 5000R, for a helmet its 10,000R

City’s 500,000 Motorcycles Now Require Mirrors by Kay Kimsong | October 23, 2006

The Phnom Penh Municipality has ordered all motorcycle drivers to install wing mirrors on their ve­hi­cles and will soon allow traf­fic po­lice to start fining those caught with­out them, an official said. The order came into effect Fri­day and applies to 500,000 motor­cyc­les on the streets of the capital, ac­­cording to a copy of the directive. “Any motorbike driving without mirrors is breaking the traffic law,” deputy municipal governor Pa Socheatvong said. “We are giving people a week to test. We’ll see what the result will be.” No one will be fined during the week­long trial period, but after that time the municipality will con­sider when the police can start fining people, and how much of­fend­ers will have to pay.

SRP lawmaker Son Chhay welcomed the new rule. “I think mirrors are very important to save drivers. They only cost $1 or $2 but they can save people’s lives,” he said. He added that the municipality should do all it can to ensure the rule is obeyed, as drivers often make dangerous turnoffs without look­ing behind them. But Son Chhay also said that people should be given a timeframe of at least five months to in­stall mirrors before the police be­gin demanding fines. If the public is only given a week, he said, the price of mirrors will likely inflate considerably as peo­ple rush to buy them. He also said that the rule should not be selectively en­forced, and that police, military po­lice and the children of high-rank­ing government officials should be made subject to the law.

A small guide to traffic laws and fines http://www.pactcambodia.org/Publication ... NGLISH.pdf

Laws on land traffic in general : http://www.skpcambodia.com/Laws%20&%20R ... g_2006.pdf
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Well there goes the chance of cambodia catching up with the latest technology of driverless cars.

ARTICLE 4:
Driving of all kinds of vehicles in the Kingdom of Cambodia has to be adhered to the right-hand side.
All vehicles, which are moving along the roads, MUST have drivers.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Duncan wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 am Well there goes the chance of cambodia catching up with the latest technology of driverless cars.
Unless brainless counts as driverless. Then they would be way ahead!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 am
TheFriar wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am Is there any roadworthiness list/law that specifies what a motorbike has to have?
The law on mirrors has been in force since 2006, I did a google search "motorcycle mirrors cambodia" And the first article that came up was that below. From memory I think the fine is 5000R, for a helmet its 10,000R

City’s 500,000 Motorcycles Now Require Mirrors by Kay Kimsong | October 23, 2006

The Phnom Penh Municipality has ordered all motorcycle drivers to install wing mirrors on their ve­hi­cles and will soon allow traf­fic po­lice to start fining those caught with­out them, an official said. The order came into effect Fri­day and applies to 500,000 motor­cyc­les on the streets of the capital, ac­­cording to a copy of the directive. “Any motorbike driving without mirrors is breaking the traffic law,” deputy municipal governor Pa Socheatvong said. “We are giving people a week to test. We’ll see what the result will be.” No one will be fined during the week­long trial period, but after that time the municipality will con­sider when the police can start fining people, and how much of­fend­ers will have to pay.

SRP lawmaker Son Chhay welcomed the new rule. “I think mirrors are very important to save drivers. They only cost $1 or $2 but they can save people’s lives,” he said. He added that the municipality should do all it can to ensure the rule is obeyed, as drivers often make dangerous turnoffs without look­ing behind them. But Son Chhay also said that people should be given a timeframe of at least five months to in­stall mirrors before the police be­gin demanding fines. If the public is only given a week, he said, the price of mirrors will likely inflate considerably as peo­ple rush to buy them. He also said that the rule should not be selectively en­forced, and that police, military po­lice and the children of high-rank­ing government officials should be made subject to the law.

A small guide to traffic laws and fines http://www.pactcambodia.org/Publication ... NGLISH.pdf

Laws on land traffic in general : http://www.skpcambodia.com/Laws%20&%20R ... g_2006.pdf
So a Phnom Penh Municipality regulation, but not national traffic law? It's not in the 2006 law, and still not actually stipulated in the most recent version I've got: The Law on Land Traffic, ratified by the National Assembly on 5 December 2014

I wonder if it's possible to get a copy of the little rule books the traffic cops have.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

TheFriar wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am So I got pulle dover on my bike today...helmet yup, license, yup. Mirrors Nope.

I was told to get mirrors, (I got one, for the left side; but literally can't instal one on the right side).

Is there any roadworthiness list/law that specifies what a motorbike has to have?

How does one handle this type of shiite, for next time I get pulled over.
(Please assume I'm not willing to kick the the cop away and speed off out of reach)
Why would you even write the last part of your post. It seems to me the cop was only doing is job and providing a helpful service to you.
Its not impossible like you are saying to install a mirror! If the part is worn or missing. It would be easy to replace or have one of the many moto shops make the repair for you. And to add to that would be at low cost.
tonetone420 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 am Maybe you could weld the mirrors to the bike? Maybe post a picture. Might work might not, traffic cops are scumbags.

They maybe to some, especially when you are in the wrong, and are braking the law. :facepalm:

In this case it looks like the cop has given good advice. It would make traveling a little safer if all modes of transport here were road worthy.
It is a good idea to be able to have good vision what is behind you! Such as young kids on motos. Large wagons. Chinese driven SUV's and the likes. Drunken barrangs heading home from the GH. :dragonchase:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic