High-end, tricky Christmas presents

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

High-end, tricky Christmas presents

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I don't know if I've shared this tidbit yet, but I've been adopted by a troika of English speaking little kids at the restaurant next door to my apartment. I have dinner with them every night and they couldn't be cuter or dearer to my heart. So naturally we've been talking Christmas wish-list. Trouble is, the information age has made it much easier to *see* things, and not appreciably easier to *get* them -- at least here.

To wit, one of the kids wants a "glitter backpack," and another wants a diary with a lock and key. :/

I wouldn't have thought these would be tough tickets (because I never do, going into these things), but they've both proven pretty doggone elusive. Have tried City Mall, IBC, PBC, and all of the big markets (e.g. Central) and so far come up with nothing. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. I have a shipping forward through MyUS but it doesn't seem to save a person any money over having a friend in the States drive the thing to FedEx himself, so if mail-order ends up being the only choice, I'm really staring down the barrel.

One more thing: I am really not trying to be a jerk with this disclaimer -- you'll have to take my word for it, hahaha -- but I've been finding it increasingly difficult not to get irked by non-responsive responses. So I'd like to ask that everyone *please* confine him- or herself to the question that was asked, and leave out the uninvited re-frames like, "If you ask me, you're playing with fire by involving yourself with next-door-neighbor kids," etc.

*THANK* *YOU*.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: High-end, tricky Christmas presents

Post by Barang chgout »

There used to be a place called, iirc, toys are us.? They were perhaps the best stocked place I have seen in P.P.
There ya go! No inane bullshit.
Do you think it's going to rain?
I had eggs for breakfast!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

If you ask me, it seems you're doing a good job being a good male role model for the kids here. You're the guy feeding the cats too, aren't you? Keep it up!

Have you tried AEON? I've seen a few (at least two?) shops there that sells toys etc for kids. Might be worth a try.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Thanks to both! I will try Aeon. Haven't heard of Toys Are Us. (A gentle lift from ToysRUs, I suppose?)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 am Thanks to both! I will try Aeon. Haven't heard of Toys Are Us. (A gentle lift from ToysRUs, I suppose?)
Actually, it's called Toys & Me.

On a corner opposite Wat Tuol Tom Pong, 159A Mao Tse Toung Blvd, Phnom Penh 12340

http://www.toysnme.net/index.php?main_page=
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Glitter backpack can be found at Aeon at a shop called Pink Pussy (not bullshitting here) on the 2nd floor. I think they are $15-25 can’t remember exactly. They might also have them in the “alien” shop across from the pussy shop.

Never seen a diary with a lock on it and I’ve been looking as my daughter wants one too. Let me know if you find one.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:01 am Never seen a diary with a lock on it and I’ve been looking as my daughter wants one too. Let me know if you find one.
Kiwi, may I ask if you've tried Toys&Me? Toul Tom Pong is in the opposite direction as Aeon Mall, and if Toys&Me doesn't have it, that would save me the tuk-tuk fare.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Dangerous Dave wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:01 am Never seen a diary with a lock on it and I’ve been looking as my daughter wants one too. Let me know if you find one.
Kiwi, may I ask if you've tried Toys&Me? Toul Tom Pong is in the opposite direction as Aeon Mall, and if Toys&Me doesn't have it, that would save me the tuk-tuk fare.
There's a Toys & Me on St 51 and 254, 2 blocks north of Sihanouk
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:01 am Glitter backpack can be found at Aeon at a shop called Pink Pussy (not bullshitting here) on the 2nd floor. I think they are $15-25 can’t remember exactly. They might also have them in the “alien” shop across from the pussy shop.

Never seen a diary with a lock on it and I’ve been looking as my daughter wants one too. Let me know if you find one.

And make sure you get get a spare key for yourself ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Nah, these are next-door neighbor kids; what she writes in it is none o'my damn bidd'ness. :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic