Man warns about theft attempt at St 136 massage parlour

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Man warns about theft attempt at St 136 massage parlour

Post by whereami »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 am
SEAfann wrote: more like WTF are you talking about?...so in your mind $1-$2 per day is ok? the average pay i found was approx $80 per mth, from what ive seen in the high season the girls in busy establishments give way more than '3' massages a day, & its up to the customer to ask for how long the massage goes for, a short time or all day if you like, maybe you have had crappy massages yet ive had the best massages ever from some of the girls...yet WTF do i know? im only a practising masseur here in australia, i bet you're the 'pay the workers the bare minimum' sort of guy, i get the feeling you're one of those that run a 'massage parlour'?, please...save your BS spiel for the novice traveller!
What don't you get? If they give more than three massages, they get more money. If the customer wants a three hour massage, more money. In both cases, they're happy. It's not complicated. The fact that you claim they make $1/day while working 12 hours per day right away tells me you know nothing. The girls gave you a fake sob story about $80/month to milk a big tip out of you. They can spot a tourist a mile away.

What I said is that types of massage parlours are usually pretty bad. I've been to countless massage parlours here. Everywhere from the cheapo 5000r ones which no longer exist to $15/h ones. I've also actually been to the one in question here as well, if it's the one I'm thinking about on the corner of 19.

If you're a licensed masseuse, you should know that the higher end places typically (but not always) give way better massages than these. By higher end, I mean $7+. The girls also get paid more ($60-80 base salary plus $1-1.5/massage, plus tips). However, they've got some form of training and there's a modicum of consistency amongst the staff. For three hours of work per day (I don't consider sitting around waiting for customers to be work), they can make $220+.

The 10000-12000r places are typically just random girls with zero training. Like you, I've had some real good massages there though, but the girls come and go so quickly and staff are inconsistent so you have to stick to the same one if she's good. Like a barber, once you find a good one you stick with them. You want a masseuse you gel with. Still, I've gone soft with time and now prefer the nicer settings of pricier places. Still, even in the 10000r places, they make $1/massage plus tips.

Anyways, I've been going to these places on a weekly basis for a decade, and not once have I ever heard of a girl giving 12 massages in one day. If they're really lucky and it's a busy establishment, they'll get 6, maybe 7. That would make them tired, but very happy. Some girls make quite decent money. Again, your claim that they're "slaving away" 12h/day, six days per week for $80/month is so far from the truth it's laughable. It isn't indentured labour...

Are they paid adequately? It doesn't matter if I think it's OK or not. It's the market price. I don't set it and neither do you. As mentioned, the $80 you're being told is a sob story told to a tourist about the bare minimum they might ever make, assuming virtually non-existent tips. That's in the 10000r places though (they usually get free accommodation), the higher end ones get a higher base salary than that!

Anyways, how much do you suggest they get paid for working 1 hour per day? If you think they should earn $800/month, then feel free to be that bozo and give them a huge $50 tip. While you're at it, you should also pay your tuktuk driver who couldn't find a customer all day $50 for a two km ride. Or better yet, frequent the more expensive places which pay their staff a base salary.
very accurate post and ill add many spas have girls living onsite so thats a pretty good salary addon . Theyre doing average 2 or 3 a day ( sometimes more) never ever doing 10 or 12 or whatever other guy said many masseuses dont wanna do more than a couple a day . Sadly enough a whole shitload wanna play on their phone and hangout all day kinda like a college dorm . And they got aircon when they at spa , not when their home....best masseuse ive ever had in asia ( no extras) i found in cambodia and matched up with her rest days , exc and stayed with her exclusively . If you like a deep pro massage you really got search.....the chinese invasion is having an impact i think . Some of these mid and higher end spas are getting groups of 6 or more chinese walking in ( man and woman)....average weight a buck twenty much easier for therapist ( they claim chinese arent all bad tippers) i wouldnt want their job but id say the traffic police and construction works and many others have worse jobs than masseuses in cambodia
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 am
SEAfann wrote: more like WTF are you talking about?...so in your mind $1-$2 per day is ok? the average pay i found was approx $80 per mth, from what ive seen in the high season the girls in busy establishments give way more than '3' massages a day, & its up to the customer to ask for how long the massage goes for, a short time or all day if you like, maybe you have had crappy massages yet ive had the best massages ever from some of the girls...yet WTF do i know? im only a practising masseur here in australia, i bet you're the 'pay the workers the bare minimum' sort of guy, i get the feeling you're one of those that run a 'massage parlour'?, please...save your BS spiel for the novice traveller!
What don't you get? If they give more than three massages, they get more money. If the customer wants a three hour massage, more money. In both cases, they're happy. It's not complicated. The fact that you claim they make $1/day while working 12 hours per day right away tells me you know nothing. The girls gave you a fake sob story about $80/month to milk a big tip out of you. They can spot a tourist a mile away.

What I said is that types of massage parlours are usually pretty bad. I've been to countless massage parlours here. Everywhere from the cheapo 5000r ones which no longer exist to $15/h ones. I've also actually been to the one in question here as well, if it's the one I'm thinking about on the corner of 19.

If you're a licensed masseuse, you should know that the higher end places typically (but not always) give way better massages than these. By higher end, I mean $7+. The girls also get paid more ($60-80 base salary plus $1-1.5/massage, plus tips). However, they've got some form of training and there's a modicum of consistency amongst the staff. For three hours of work per day (I don't consider sitting around waiting for customers to be work), they can make $220+.

The 10000-12000r places are typically just random girls with zero training. Like you, I've had some real good massages there though, but the girls come and go so quickly and staff are inconsistent so you have to stick to the same one if she's good. Like a barber, once you find a good one you stick with them. You want a masseuse you gel with. Still, I've gone soft with time and now prefer the nicer settings of pricier places. Still, even in the 10000r places, they make $1/massage plus tips.

Anyways, I've been going to these places on a weekly basis for a decade, and not once have I ever heard of a girl giving 12 massages in one day. If they're really lucky and it's a busy establishment, they'll get 6, maybe 7. That would make them tired, but very happy. Some girls make quite decent money. Again, your claim that they're "slaving away" 12h/day, six days per week for $80/month is so far from the truth it's laughable. It isn't indentured labour...

Are they paid adequately? It doesn't matter if I think it's OK or not. It's the market price. I don't set it and neither do you. As mentioned, the $80 you're being told is a sob story told to a tourist about the bare minimum they might ever make, assuming virtually non-existent tips. That's in the 10000r places though (they usually get free accommodation), the higher end ones get a higher base salary than that!

Anyways, how much do you suggest they get paid for working 1 hour per day? If you think they should earn $800/month, then feel free to be that bozo and give them a huge $50 tip. While you're at it, you should also pay your tuktuk driver who couldn't find a customer all day $50 for a two km ride. Or better yet, frequent the more expensive places which pay their staff a base salary.
hmmmm, my experience with the massage scene in Cambodia may have been a unique series of events, as can happen to anyone at anytime, i can only say with an unbiased expression what i saw, i do not have any form of 'vested' interest in the scene there, the only thing i am biased against is, 'people being very low paid when it is in the power of their employer to pay more without any real loss to the business'.
i know there are good massage establishments & there are bad, i do not want to portray the whole scene as negative, but i will say what i have seen.
without talking about the higher end places what i saw is very different from your definition of the average massage establishment, the sucking on mangoes in AC comfort with the opportunity to earn good money was not apparent with my time in those premises, for one i noticed the AC was for the most part turned off while there were no customers, the promise of good money just does not ring true either, most mamasan i talked to said they had much difficulty finding girls to do the job? why is that?, when there is such good money which you say is there for them? why are the mamasan having trouble finding girls to do the job? surely with Cambodia's other mindnumbingly miserable and worser jobs such as the garment factory worker there would be a legion of willing girls ready to jump at the chance to munch on mangoes in AC comfort & earn good money rather than working in the sweatshops?
your statements i feel apply to the higher end parlors, not the average & more numerous lower end type.
what do i suggest? ffs give the kids a break & throw them a few more dollars!
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

vladimir wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 amYou want a masseuse you gel with.
I thought that went without saying...

Resist KY joke...resist...

I can't resist... and wonder if catching the thief made it a 'happy ending'? :roll:
You could be next.
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

Does anyone offer an in house massage service? (No happy times required)

In house Physio?
In house Chiropractor?
Sports remedial?

I'm lazy to head out, when it would be easier on my bed and I could lay in comfort after.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Babble wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 am Does anyone offer an in house massage service? (No happy times required)

In house Physio?
In house Chiropractor?
Sports remedial?

I'm lazy to head out, when it would be easier on my bed and I could lay in comfort after.
pseudo science: avoid

physio yes
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
TheFriar
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by TheFriar »

Babble wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 am Does anyone offer an in house massage service? (No happy times required)

In house Physio?
In house Chiropractor?
Sports remedial?

Good French Chiro at Top End of St240 (Like all chiros he keeps telling you to come back, but he fixed an 8 month recurring issue for me in 2 sessions- with lots of swimming to help)

Magnificent legit massage on #172 opposite Dolce Vita Cafe.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I wrote a review about the French chiro. My back is still fixed, he’s amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

rozzieoz wrote:I wrote a review about the French chiro. My back is still fixed, he’s amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you got a link to that review?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Gardiguy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:10 pm Actually genuinely curious how often people tip and how much?
Mostly around 2$ or 3$ anywhere, sometime up to 5$.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic