Scott Neeson receives honorary doctorate for Cambodian charity work

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Scott Neeson receives honorary doctorate for Cambodian charity work

Post by vladimir »

prahocalypse, I disagree.

You can never really know someone, wit the hundreds of paedos that have bene exposed and even had partners who had no idea.

But that's precisely why we should NOT assume innocence of anybody, but have safeguards in place.

Scott, we all know that several NGO workers have been conviceted of abusing kids, so I think you'd agree, let's be safe rather than sorry, right? I'm absolutely not judging you or even suggesting you would abuse kids, but it would be best rather avoid any possibility of controversy, I think.

As I stated before, most NGOs have guidelines in place, I wasn't offended by the existence of them, in fact I was very happy they existed.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Scott don’t get dragged into this.

You do great work and should not have to justify your actions to anyone. You have done more for Cambodia and it’s citizens than every single poster on this forum combined. IMHO, even if you did keep 100% of the salary, I would say you have earned it and it’s justified with the work you do and the results you get. There are a lot of corporate managers / directors (not even CEOs) that make far more than that a year in Cambodia.

Keep up the good work and ignore the naysayers.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Arget wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 am
I guess most of us have not met you but of those who have did they judge you on the spot on your being a rapey sex-pest?
I have on occasion met white females in Cambodia who I believe have judged me on the spot as being a rapey sex-pest based solely on the criteria that I am a white male. However, I never take it personally because these women think every white male is a rapey sex-pest.
Do you judge everyone you meet on these criteria?
No, but I don't decide who has access and who doesn't have access to children in Cambodia.
AND who the fuck do you think you are to make judgements on other people?
It is very difficult to survive in this world without making judgements on other people.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am
Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 am Hi Scott,

Did you ever meet Harvey Weinstein?
Dick post.
No, it's an important question.

You see, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein several times and instinctively I knew the guy was a creepy sexual predator", this would mean that Scott is an excellent judge of character and suitable for vetting potential visitors to his orphanage. You will note that he is offering to allow 'credible' members of the forum tour his facility.

However, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein many, many times and I always thought he was a top bloke", this would mean that Scott is a poor judge of character and probably not the best person in the world for vetting visitors to a Cambodian orphanage.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a poor judge of character, some of us are. It's just that some people are better at spotting a rapey sex-pest than others.
I guess most of us have not met you but of those who have did they judge you on the spot on your being a rapey sex-pest?

Again a tosser on a keyboard trying to generate controversy!!!!!!!!!!!
=@
You can really tell the 440 posters.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Now that Scott has a Ph.D, do people call him Doc Neeson?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

This is it folks.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Abc123 wrote:
prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am
Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 am Hi Scott,

Did you ever meet Harvey Weinstein?
Dick post.
No, it's an important question.

You see, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein several times and instinctively I knew the guy was a creepy sexual predator", this would mean that Scott is an excellent judge of character and suitable for vetting potential visitors to his orphanage. You will note that he is offering to allow 'credible' members of the forum tour his facility.

However, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein many, many times and I always thought he was a top bloke", this would mean that Scott is a poor judge of character and probably not the best person in the world for vetting visitors to a Cambodian orphanage.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a poor judge of character, some of us are. It's just that some people are better at spotting a rapey sex-pest than others.

Again a tosser on a keyboard trying to generate controversy!!!!!!!!!!!
=@
You can really tell the 440 posters.
Only if you're from 440.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Ok, i am locking this now.
Scott has ably explained his position, though he owes no explanations.
His organization publishes accounts.
I made more than he makes in an admin job in Australia that did nothing for anyone in particular.
By all means run down NGO's that are shady.
This is not one of those.
I would like to congratulate you on the award Scott.
Locked Previous topicNext topic