Scott Neeson receives honorary doctorate for Cambodian charity work

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Scott at CCF
Tourist

Re: Scott Neeson receives honorary doctorate for Cambodian charity work

Post by Scott at CCF »

Hi all, I am Scott Neeson, the over-salaried, PR-seeking child hugger. Given the serial blogging of past years, I haven’t responded to gossip, innuendo and the like. But you guys raised a number of points that need explaining:
1) yes, I get a handsome salary of $95,000 a year, a 96% salary cut from my film days. But my salary is donated back to CCF (with a small amount to other charities here). In 2016, I donated $95,000 back to CCF. This is of course verifiable. So why bother taking the salary and upsetting people? It’s so the exec director position has an associated cost. It’s a practice that better represents the true running costs of running CCF. If I fall over, the organisation won’t find a new exec director for free. It’s not something I talk about publicly (until now) as it’s no-ones business. Send in an accountant to verify but let’s put this one to bed.

2) I don’t have a publicist and never did. The media publish what sells and a publicist won’t influence that. I had more attention in Hollywood to last a lifetime. That I left Hollywood and worked for 13 years in the festering garbage area In order to get publicity? Seriously. I don’t enjoy the attention and I cringe at the results but I know how to make it work. CCF’s running costs won’t be covered by our great results. If I have to whore myself out to cover the costs of teachers, doctors etc, I will. And the media coverage has helped keep our fundraising at 3%...Compare that with others.

3) the hugging and affectionate children images: I agree. The guy who raised this and "didn’t want to be a dick" said it best. I keep to the child protection policies, like never being alone with a child. I also don’t initiate contact. But because of the Khmer Rouge days, this generation of kids have lived without attention, affection, recognition or consistency. After an unblemished 13 years here, I am trusted. Sure, it agitates people and is fodder for rumour but allaying Western perceptions isn’t a priority. Of our first 200 kids back in 2004, 130 are now in university, confident, outspoken etc - not a bad place to ask about life growing up at CCF.

To the point about vilifying men who are around children, here’s a concerning fact on our developed homelands: the percentage of male school teachers has fallen from 42% 15 years ago to 19% today. With single mothers becoming the norm, over a third of boys will reach manhood without ever having a meaningful connection with a man. That’s the cost of protective bubbles.

Two more things: to Muttonchops or whoever, knowing people who worked at CCF and don’t like me. Give me your email and I will send you a comprehensive list. I learnt to be discerning about who I let judge me.

All this said, don’t take my word for it. If there are one or two regulars here who have credibility, come see for yourself. I can arrange a tour, show you myself and ask whatever questions you have - then share here.

Apologies for the length. It’s been a while since I last spoke out.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Hi Scott,

Did you ever meet Harvey Weinstein?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Scott, Thanks very much for posting your views on CEO. and keep up the good work you are doing.
Sadly but true, there will always be keyboard warriors that are better at raising their glasses of beer than seeing the work you do in raising kids.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 am Hi Scott,

Dick post.
Scott at CCF
Tourist

Post by Scott at CCF »

Prahocalypse: oh yes, I met Harvey.
How do I add the box showing the initial comments?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 am

Dick post.
No, it's an important question.

You see, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein several times and instinctively I knew the guy was a creepy sexual predator", this would mean that Scott is an excellent judge of character and suitable for vetting potential visitors to his orphanage. You will note that he is offering to allow 'credible' members of the forum tour his facility.

However, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein many, many times and I always thought he was a top bloke", this would mean that Scott is a poor judge of character and probably not the best person in the world for vetting visitors to a Cambodian orphanage.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a poor judge of character, some of us are. It's just that some people are better at spotting a rapey sex-pest than others.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Scott at CCF wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:54 am Prahocalypse: oh yes, I met Harvey.
How do I add the box showing the initial comments?
Hi Scott, You go to my original post and click on the quotation marks in the top right hand corner.

Did you think Harvey was creepy when you met him?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Thank you,Scott. Mmm...not sure the explanation sits well with me for one, and as you know, the likelihood of anybody ever bothering to verify your claims that most of it gets donated back is highly unlikely, I think you'll agree.

If you put 95% back almost every year, simply reduce your salary, right? Because we all know it does cost money to do the accounting involved. I think you'd gain an enormous amount of respect from everybody, including me, if you did such a Mandelaesque-thing.

95K/year works out to 7.9K/month, right? I personally don't see the relevance of the 'a 96% salary cut from my film days'' reference, we're not discussing that. It seems that every time your salary gets discussed that is raised. Why?

It's just my opinion, but I would scale back on the overly-flattering, Jesus-type comparisons by whoever is making them. The fact that you allow them could lead people to believe that you both enjoy such praise and even contribute to its propagation in some way.

wrt the kid-hugging thing, I think that in your line of work, and in Cambodia especially, you should know that it's best just to avoid any controversy. I worked with an NGO and we were told, avoid touching the kids. Bringing teaching demographics into it from overseas is kind of blurring things a bit. The safety of the kids is paramount.

Anyway, I believe you're doing good work, I just think you're getting overpaid for it, given the fact that it's a charity. I had to take evening and weekend work to survive on the salary I got, but I still enjoyed my work. Forgive us if some of us are cynical, but better to err on the side of caution, right?

We appreciate you posting your side, it definitely brings balance, but I really think you'd silence everyone once and for all re the finances if you just did the cut.

Cheers
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Having photographed at the dump and what his ngo (CCF) has accomplished , ( 2008-2012) i stand by what i said, Scott is one of the good guys
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am
Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 am

Dick post.
No, it's an important question.

You see, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein several times and instinctively I knew the guy was a creepy sexual predator", this would mean that Scott is an excellent judge of character and suitable for vetting potential visitors to his orphanage. You will note that he is offering to allow 'credible' members of the forum tour his facility.

However, if Scott were to say "I met Harvey Weinstein many, many times and I always thought he was a top bloke", this would mean that Scott is a poor judge of character and probably not the best person in the world for vetting visitors to a Cambodian orphanage.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a poor judge of character, some of us are. It's just that some people are better at spotting a rapey sex-pest than others.
I guess most of us have not met you but of those who have did they judge you on the spot on your being a rapey sex-pest?
Do you judge everyone you meet on these criteria?
AND who the fuck do you think you are to make judgements on other people?

Again a tosser on a keyboard trying to generate controversy!!!!!!!!!!!
=@
Locked Previous topicNext topic