Siem Reap prepares for Angkor Photo Festival

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap prepares for Angkor Photo Festival

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The 13th edition of the Angkor Photo Festival kicks off in Siem Reap next month, and this year organisers will unveil a new format and a new focus on educational missions and values.

Part of the new approach will see more involvement with a strong body of workshop graduates from the past 12 years. More than 300 workshop and festival alumni are now spread throughout Asia and are regarded as an invaluable resource, acting as brand ambassadors and advisors, according to the festival’s programme coordinator Francoise Callier...
More : http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5091802/cou ... hoto-fest/

The Angkor Photo Festival will run from December 3-12, and will feature photo workshops for 32 selected participants from across Asia, who will be trained by seven major international photo agencies.

Fifty underprivileged Cambodian children from the NGO Anjali House will also participate in workshops that will introduce them to the art of photography and they will be tutored by mostly Cambodian festival alumni.

Activities and launches during the festival include:

Dec 5, 7pm: Opening night of the exhibition. Cambodia: Our Vision at Republic Bar and Kitchen.

Dec 8, 8pm: An evening projection will showcase festival alumni work at Village Café gallery.

Dec 9, 7.30pm and Dec 11, 8pm: Projections curated by alumnis Wawi Navarroza (Philippines) and Anshika Varma (India) at Bambu Stage.

Dec 10, 4pm, Projection 7.30pm: Children’s Day at Republic Bar and Kitchen.

Dec 12, 8pm: Closing night projection will show results of the professional workshop at The Republic Bar and Kitchen
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Siem Reap prepares for Angkor Photo Festival

Now in its 13th year, Angkor Photo Fest grows ‘family’ of photographers
8 December 2017
- The longest-running photo festival in Southeast Asia is back in Temple Town with free workshops and exhibitions to showcase and develop photographic talent in Cambodia and abroad.

The Angkor Photo Festival, which kicked off earlier this week and runs through Tuesday, lacks the large outdoor exhibitions at the Angkor Archaeological Park from previous years, but has doubled down on providing expertise to a budding community of regional photographers.

“This year we decided to focus on education. The workshops here are, until now, the only free ones in Asia and they have a very good reputation,” the fest’s program coordinator Françoise Callier told The Post over a cigarette at the Mirage Art Space, which is the festival hub this year.

Mirage’s owner, Khmer-Canadian photographer Serey Siv, opened the art space just last month as a place “for creative people to work and collaborate”, as well as a café and art gallery where he currently has a series of street photos from some 16 photographers from around the world on display.

The 13th edition of the Angkor Photo Festival and Workshops runs through December 12 at various locations in Siem Reap. All events are free. For detailed information, go to: www.angkor-photo.com. Mirage is located on Street 27, near the corner with Wat Bo road.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life- ... tographers
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian photo festival nurtures Asia’s next generation of world-class photographers
By: Euan Black - Posted on: December 15, 2017 | Cambodia
"Flower" by Neak Sophal
Neak Sophal’s work provides an example of the explosion in creativity described by Callier. The 28-year-old graduate of Phnom Penh’s Royal University of Fine Arts took part in one of the workshops in 2013 and exhibited her work at the same festival. Her striking portraits of Cambodians with their faces covered by various items – an attempt to shine a light on the hidden, everyday problems experienced in Cambodia – went on to beat international competition to that year’s top prize.

The experience taught her new techniques and gave her the confidence to test out her ideas, she says.

“Before the workshop, I had the idea of the hidden face portraits, but I wasn’t sure about it. After I did the workshop it gave me a lot of confidence and direction to follow my idea,” she says. “The festival taught me to adapt my work to the story, not to adapt the story to my photography.”

Neak, who says she spends between one and two months developing a concept before picking up her camera, has continued to focus on social issues since her festival success four years ago. She created her most recent exhibition, Flower, to challenge Cambodian ideals of feminine beauty, to force people to reconsider the belief that women, like flowers, are spoiled when touched.

“I try to see problems around me that most people don’t think are issues… to take photographs that raise awareness of these hidden problems,” she says.
http://sea-globe.com/lens-culture/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Great news. A Cambodian photographer has been selected for the 2018 Sony World Photography Awards. The Open competition winners will be announced on 20 March 2018. Good luck Ly Min.

Cambodian photographer’s image honoured as one of the best in the world
Posted on: February 28, 2018 | Cambodia

Cambodian photographer Ly Min has been recognised in the 2018 Sony World Photography Awards, with his image Cave of Skulls being selected among the top 50 in the world in the Open Travel Category

The Open competition rewards the best single image across ten categories, and Min’s photo has been acknowledged as one of the best in the world. In addition to the Open competition, photographers submit entries under Professional, Youth and Student Focus categories.
The photographer’s commended picture captures a monk changing his clothes in a cave during the Buddhist festival Kathina. Traditionally, robes are donated to monks as a way of offering gifts to the Buddha and his servants.
However, the picture’s name relates to the cave, where thousands of innocent people were killed during the Khmer Rouge regime in the 1970s.

Min is a business owner in Phnom Penh and devotes his free time to photography. Last year, he won first place in the Cambodia National Awards section of the Sony World Photography Awards.
http://sea-globe.com/cambodian-photogra ... est-world/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Some amazing photos from the Angkor Photo Festival 2018 shown here, and the festival can be visited in Siem Reap, Cambodia, between the 8 – 18 December, 2018.

In pictures: Cambodia’s Angkor Photo Festival
Posted on: December 5, 2018 | Cambodia

The 14th annual Angkor Photo Festival, held in Siem Reap Cambodia, features the work of 100 artists from 40 countries – plus talks, portfolio reviews and workshops.
http://sea-globe.com/in-pictures-cambod ... -festival/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Latest news for 2020:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:29 pm Cambodian photo festival nurtures Asia’s next generation of world-class photographers
By: Euan Black - Posted on: December 15, 2017 | Cambodia
"Flower" by Neak Sophal
Neak Sophal’s work provides an example of the explosion in creativity described by Callier. The 28-year-old graduate of Phnom Penh’s Royal University of Fine Arts took part in one of the workshops in 2013 and exhibited her work at the same festival. Her striking portraits of Cambodians with their faces covered by various items – an attempt to shine a light on the hidden, everyday problems experienced in Cambodia – went on to beat international competition to that year’s top prize.

The experience taught her new techniques and gave her the confidence to test out her ideas, she says.

“Before the workshop, I had the idea of the hidden face portraits, but I wasn’t sure about it. After I did the workshop it gave me a lot of confidence and direction to follow my idea,” she says. “The festival taught me to adapt my work to the story, not to adapt the story to my photography.”

Neak, who says she spends between one and two months developing a concept before picking up her camera, has continued to focus on social issues since her festival success four years ago. She created her most recent exhibition, Flower, to challenge Cambodian ideals of feminine beauty, to force people to reconsider the belief that women, like flowers, are spoiled when touched.

“I try to see problems around me that most people don’t think are issues… to take photographs that raise awareness of these hidden problems,” she says.
http://sea-globe.com/lens-culture/
She's challenging Cambodian idea's of beauty :plus1: but she's clearly Vietnamese?
:boxing:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The 16th Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops to Be Held in Late November
Photo from Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops website.
Sao Phal Niseiy 07/11/2020 4:38 PM
In view of the pandemic, its focus will be on Cambodia, organizers said

PHNOM PENH--The longest running international photography event in Southeast Asia, Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops (APFW) will be held late November in Siem Reap City.

Organized amid the global pandemic, the 16th Edition of the Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops will be refocusing its educational emphasis to engage and collaborate with local photographer communities and audiences, according to a press statement received on Nov. 6.

"Like so many other arts and cultural events around the world, we’ve had to adapt to travel restrictions and the need to prioritize the health and safety of our attendees and the community that we live in,” festival Director Jessica Lim said.

“It has been challenging but it has also given us new vigor and the opportunity to launch new initiatives, which we hope will become part of our regular program for years to come,” she added.

This year’s events will include Visual Storytelling Workshops, which will be the festival’s first fully-Cambodian educational initiative. Taking place Nov. 21 through 27, the workshops will involve 15 Cambodian participants and six Cambodian tutors whose aim will be to help each participant develop visual storytelling skills, a deeper understanding of visual language, and a unique artistic vision, the release read.
https://cambodianess.com/article/the-16 ... e-november

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:30 pm The 16th Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops to Be Held in Late November
Photo from Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops website.
Sao Phal Niseiy 07/11/2020 4:38 PM
In view of the pandemic, its focus will be on Cambodia, organizers said

PHNOM PENH--The longest running international photography event in Southeast Asia, Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops (APFW) will be held late November in Siem Reap City.

Organized amid the global pandemic, the 16th Edition of the Angkor Photo Festival & Workshops will be refocusing its educational emphasis to engage and collaborate with local photographer communities and audiences, according to a press statement received on Nov. 6.

"Like so many other arts and cultural events around the world, we’ve had to adapt to travel restrictions and the need to prioritize the health and safety of our attendees and the community that we live in,” festival Director Jessica Lim said.

“It has been challenging but it has also given us new vigor and the opportunity to launch new initiatives, which we hope will become part of our regular program for years to come,” she added.

This year’s events will include Visual Storytelling Workshops, which will be the festival’s first fully-Cambodian educational initiative. Taking place Nov. 21 through 27, the workshops will involve 15 Cambodian participants and six Cambodian tutors whose aim will be to help each participant develop visual storytelling skills, a deeper understanding of visual language, and a unique artistic vision, the release read.
https://cambodianess.com/article/the-16 ... e-november
On, and now off ? If you are interested in attending the Angkor Photo Festival, best check with the organisers via facebook.
Latest update:
Organisers of Angkor Photo Festival were about to announce that the festival would go ahead again this year, booked to kick off on November 21 through to November 30. However, news came through yesterday that the event might have to be cancelled.

A press release about the festival proceeding had already been sent to Khmer Times and an article was ready to be published when an urgent phone call came in from festival director Jessica Lim saying to hold the presses as the festival might not go ahead.

Lim said negotiations with government authorities are underway, but the path forward – if there is one – remains unclear.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50782237/i ... al-doomed/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic