Orchids

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Orchids

Post by General Mackevili » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 pm

StroppyChops wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm
General Mackevili wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 pm

I buy them whenever I can, and they are surprisingly easy to keep alive.
The ones I had all fucking died even though I tried taking care of them.
Had a pot of various dormant plants I'd bundled together, doing nothing for months other than dying. Put them on the opposite side of the property where they got afternoon sun and rainwater, new shoots on all plants in 3 days.
frank lee bent wrote:people often overwater them.
I think these are the exact reasons I do so well with them. Don't over water them? Leave them sitting for months? I'm good at that. :thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm
General Mackevili wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 pm

I buy them whenever I can, and they are surprisingly easy to keep alive.
The ones I had all fucking died even though I tried taking care of them.

I dont grow stuff that you cannot eat, but as for these flowers , they are easy to look after. One half bottle of water has now lasted over two years and just in case,,, I have a spare bottle of water on hand. I think the Botanical name is PolyPlastic, or something.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:49 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:21 am

The guy who runs TEFL International in Koh Kong, NIco MIllen, has a garden full of them
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Orchid Trading Banned in Protected Natural Areas
AKP Phnom Penh, July 14, 2020 --
The Ministry of Environment has banned trading and transportation of Kesor Kol so-called forest orchid in protected natural areas.

The prohibition was officially circulated in a recent announcement of the ministry, following a social media post offering a very high price for the flower.

The post is likely to trigger greedy collection of the flower leading to further destruction of the plant which is critically endangered currently.

Commercial collection of the flower is considered illegal, violating a law on protected natural areas articles 59 and 61, and the Ministry of Environment will take strict measures against the violators.

According to the ministry, Cambodia has now over 150 species of forest orchid and more than 3,000 flower trees in Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre.
AKP
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:23 pm

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm
Orchid Trading Banned in Protected Natural Areas
AKP Phnom Penh, July 14, 2020 --
The Ministry of Environment has banned trading and transportation of Kesor Kol so-called forest orchid in protected natural areas.

The prohibition was officially circulated in a recent announcement of the ministry, following a social media post offering a very high price for the flower.

The post is likely to trigger greedy collection of the flower leading to further destruction of the plant which is critically endangered currently.

Commercial collection of the flower is considered illegal, violating a law on protected natural areas articles 59 and 61, and the Ministry of Environment will take strict measures against the violators.

According to the ministry, Cambodia has now over 150 species of forest orchid and more than 3,000 flower trees in Kesor Kol Sok An Phnom Kulen Research and Conservation Centre.
AKP
Great stuff I hope they can keep it up ! The policing of this would a huge task here in Cambodia>
nothing better than seeing wild orchids in flower in their native habitat. And only the best photographers can hope to capture their beauty! which unfortunately I am not!
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:55 pm

This Orchid is growing outside burger king in the city

Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 pm

The best orchid collection i have seen in cambodia was a rag-tag bunch of a few hundred mangled dead looking, or nearly dead looking, things.
Belonged to a mad solo researcher of cambodia's under explored collection of thousands of unnamed wild species.

A brown dead looking writhing mess, but once a year, on different days, every one of those drab uninspiring little plants magically spings a single, a few, or a full spray of the most fantasmagorial flowers for just 2 or 3 days of spectacular miniturised glory before becoming all dead boring again.

All over cambodia, hanging off every second tree there is ithat dead looking detrious, that boring old vine.
But for a few short days it will produce the most beautiful, delicate, wildly spectacular multi-coloured little gems. Most tiny, some really needing a magnifyinging glass to see that classic orchid "ballerina" pose that they all hold.

And most, and this is the wonder, will never be seen by a man.
Kingdom of WOW! stuff. All over the country, beautiful little ballerinas magically springing up everwhere...

(I often see local boats pull into koh kong with big bulging pressed bales of wild orchids - straight to Thailand. Big trade, organised)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic