Barangs (Including German Expat ACHIM ECKERT) in Fatal Motorbike Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Barangs (Including German Expat ACHIM ECKERT) in Fatal Motorbike Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

RIP Niclas Jansson.
Condolences to all.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Barangs (Including German Expat ACHIM ECKERT) in Fatal Motorbike Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Post by vladimir »

RIP and condolences to friends and family

At speed a kitten or a small puppy can be the cause of a fatal accident. I seldom do over 60 anywhere in town, closer to 40 kmh most of the time, so unpredictable.

Been riding bikes for 45 years, this place is the most dangerous, imo.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm RIP and condolences to friends and family

At speed a kitten or a small puppy can be the cause of a fatal accident. I seldom do over 60 anywhere in town, closer to 40 kmh most of the time, so unpredictable.

My sentiments entirely! I have been riding in Phnom Penh since 1996 and the last two years have become particularly lethal. I only ride a small bike (114cc) used for shopping etc. I have had two serious accidents in the last two years and neither were caused by me. ("Tail ended" and "T-boned")
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 pm
vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm RIP and condolences to friends and family

My sentiments entirely! I have been riding in Phnom Penh since 1996 and the last two years have become particularly lethal. I only ride a small bike (114cc) used for shopping etc. I have had two serious accidents in the last two years and neither were caused by me. ("Tail ended" and "T-boned")
Exactly why I stopped riding a bike in Vietnam, the impacts were getting closer and closer to home and I figured I'd quit before Karma caught up.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:24 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Exactly why I stopped riding a bike in Vietnam, the impacts were getting closer and closer to home and I figured I'd quit before Karma caught up.
Sensible, back in 1999 I had a Honda CBR a few years later I decided to get rid of it before it got rid of me. Since then I have ridden a small bike. However now I need to re-appraise the situation. I dont go out so much and I think I might move back into PP so I don't need the bike so much.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

vladimir wrote:RIP and condolences to friends and family

At speed, a kitten or a small puppy, makes one's suspension bounch a little, often accompanied by a a light sqeakin sound... imo.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 pm
vladimir wrote:RIP and condolences to friends and family

At speed, a kitten or a small puppy, makes one's suspension bounch a little, often accompanied by a a light sqeakin sound... imo.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
He said CAN cause a fatal accident, not implying in every case. 20 years a go one of my Khmer employees hit a small dog, it jammed in his front wheel and he went over the handlebars, luckily he survived better than the bike! Obviously in your situation it was not stuck in the front wheel.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 pm I only read about blaming the speeding barangs but if it happened at dawn with a gymnast I always thought that score of them are puting themself in great danger by exercising on the roads, oblivious to traffic. That is especially the case in SHV where some can be found walking in the big Ekareach blind curve and where most of traffic at this time is probably DUI.
If that is the case, personally I would put the blame on the lack of proper parks.
Every accident involving a foreigner will be reported in the local press as "foreigner was speeding" followed by foreigners then posting online "the Khmers probably caused it by being really careless."
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cam Nivag wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 pm I only read about blaming the speeding barangs but if it happened at dawn with a gymnast I always thought that score of them are puting themself in great danger by exercising on the roads, oblivious to traffic. That is especially the case in SHV where some can be found walking in the big Ekareach blind curve and where most of traffic at this time is probably DUI.
If that is the case, personally I would put the blame on the lack of proper parks.
Every accident involving a foreigner will be reported in the local press as "foreigner was speeding" followed by foreigners then posting online "the Khmers probably caused it by being really careless."
I thought LTO was back with us for a second. RIP
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kanteb
Tourist
Afghanistan

Post by Kanteb »

RIP Niclas!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic