Barangs (Including German Expat ACHIM ECKERT) in Fatal Motorbike Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Barangs Involved in Fatal Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yes, we can see the car - but have not yet seen how it was involved, though it would appear to have had right of way from it's position alone.

I'd be curious to see video footage as to how exactly it happened.

I doubt the dead will argue too much with whatever the final report on the accident says.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

angkorjohn wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm d.

Also the reported lady appears to be male.

not the first time that mistake has been made in Cambodia
As I mentioned earlier the report doesn't mention gender as far as I can tell, just that a Cambodian "Gymnast" (exerciser I presume) was killed.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 pm
angkorjohn wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm d.

not the first time that mistake has been made in Cambodia
As I mentioned earlier the report doesn't mention gender as far as I can tell, just that a Cambodian "Gymnast" (exerciser I presume) was killed.
there's now a video up on the freshnews bit and in it there's a dead khmer male with lots of upset people around his body. RIP
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 pm Yes, we can see the car - but have not yet seen how it was involved, though it would appear to have had right of way from it's position alone.

I'd be curious to see video footage as to how exactly it happened.

I doubt the dead will argue too much with whatever the final report on the accident says.
Agreed, I'm no CSI but looks like the car was parked by the sidewalk. Maybe they hit the jogger and hit the back of the car after. Only the witnesses will know, if there were any that are still alive. RIP
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

One of the deceased has been identified as long-time German expat, Achim Eckert. Very sad news.

Here's him in better times:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

vladimir wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pmI wouldn't say speed was an enormous factor as the damage to car and bike is light to moderate.
wrt the bike, then you and I are looking at different images. The one I'm looking at was going very fast.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

RIP

Bike was obviously going very fast, as evidenced by the damage and the distance the rider and passenger were thrown.

That strip towards Naga from the monument is speedway alley for big bikes and supercars when traffic is light.

Not making any assumptions about fault, but you've got to be hyper aware around that park with so many doing exercise and so few road users paying attention, adhering to lanes, or triple parking outside of ngon, and no pedestrians bothering to use the zebra crossings at each end.

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm Well, I trust accounts of accidents in the media here not at all.

And there appears to be a car involved also that is not mentioned.

I wouldn't say speed was an enormous factor as the damage to car and bike is light to moderate.

Don't know any of them, I think, but R.I.P to all friends and families of the three deceased.
I must also be looking at a different bike.... And I am guessing the bike careened off the person they hit and into the car.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Barangs (Including German Expat ACHIM ECKERT) in Fatal Motorbike Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, that angle changed my opinion. Definitely some speed involved.

And I knew the identified man. Damn.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Barangs (Including German Expat ACHIM ECKERT) in Fatal Motorbike Accident Near Independence Monument in Phnom Penh

Post by Arget »

That is a big bike and the damage to it seems inconsistent to the damage on the car even including hitting a pedestrian. Appears the bike hit something with great force and it was not the car.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic