Damaged passport & transferring visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Damaged passport & transferring visa

Post by Gardiguy »

So I damaged my passport and got a new one. The embassy in Bangkok did not send the old one back but they did supply me with stamped copies of all my pages and my visa and EOS. How do I go about getting it transferred to my new passport. Just go to immigration?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Damaged passport & transferring visa

Post by phuketrichard »

The embassy had to give u a letter stating they issued u a new passport, ( better ask for 2 if ur going to request stuff from Cambodian immigration) with that letter go to immigration, they will NOT transfer a thai tourist visa BUT will transfer the entry stamp and when u need depart and info about ur old passport.
NO idea about anything about ur Cambodian visa/extension of stay

Easy and free.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

phuketrichard wrote:The embassy had to give u a letter stating they issued u a new passport, ( better ask for 2 if ur going to request stuff from Cambodian immigration) with that letter go to immigration, they will NOT transfer a thai tourist visa BUT will transfer the entry stamp and when u need depart and info about ur old passport.

Easy and free.
Ya. I have the departure card and the letters, etc. Just wondering if anyone knows the process for the visa and EOS.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Gardiguy wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:The embassy had to give u a letter stating they issued u a new passport, ( better ask for 2 if ur going to request stuff from Cambodian immigration) with that letter go to immigration, they will NOT transfer a thai tourist visa BUT will transfer the entry stamp and when u need depart and info about ur old passport.

Easy and free.
Ya. I have the departure card and the letters, etc. Just wondering if anyone knows the process for the visa and EOS.
Sorry, it was issued by my embassy in Bangkok because there is only a consular service here. I wasn't actually in Thailand.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

You will need to go to immigration and get an exit permit/stamp, they will want to see a receipt from the purchase of your visa. Then you need to leave the country and reenter on a fresh visa.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

beaker wrote:You will need to go to immigration and get an exit permit/stamp, they will want to see a receipt from the purchase of your visa. Then you need to leave the country and reenter on a fresh visa.
Hmmm, receipt for the visa or the EOS? Even if I have notarized and stamped copies from my embassy? I still have 10 months left on it and don't really want to spend a bunch money just in case I have to leave the country in that time. Best to wait until my EOS is almost up or if I do need to travel maybe.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Update, I have been told there is 3 ways to go about this.
1. Do nothing until your current EOS is up them do the exit stamp leave and get a new visa way. May or may not be a problem with resident letters, drivers licence, work permits, etc.
2. Pay $120 to transfer, can be done through certain agencies or yourself at immigration. You need a letter from your embassy as well as a police report from the tourist police (yes, even for water damage}. Then when you are going to travel pay for your exit stamp.
3. Do exactly as beaker says above and get a brand new visa.

All 3 will eventually need you to leave and return, just depends on what your hassle level is, when you want to leave and the price you are willing to pay I guess.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

They will not trnsfer your cambodia vis, you will have to get a new one.
Exit stamp, just did this 2 months ago for a khmer who got a nice new european passport, so You will need to get an exit stamp from immigration opposite the airport. they will want to see a letter from your embassy saying they have issued a new passport and the letter must be in English or khmer. If the embassy is in bangkok then they may want to see a letter from the embassy or consulate who dealt with it in phnom Penh also ( we needed a letter from the irish embassy in hanoi and the british embassy in phnom penh, bith addressed to Cambodian immigration). Any paperwork that they deem is missing can be "resolved' for an additional fee.
An exit stamp is valid for 1 week only and takes 3 working days. They may offer to do it quicker for a fee but do not rely on it. We paid $70 for same day service and got it 2 days later. The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner. i would take at least $100 and be prepared to negotiate. They also were at lunch from 12 to 3 on the day i went so get there early
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner.
An exit visa is $25, the stamp is free.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner.
An exit visa is $25, the stamp is free.
This... Oh, and the Exit Visa is officially only $20.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic