Damaged passport & transferring visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Damaged passport & transferring visa

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

.They will not trnsfer your cambodia vis, you will have to get a new one.
Yes they will, option 2 is the correct course of action, as I discussed with the OP on K440.

And no, doesn't cost $120, just a bit of tea $.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Just an update on this. Went to the tourist police headquarters, it is located beside the public works building out of town where you go to get your licence done. The only way to get ahold of the boss there is to go to wat Phnom, talk to the police there and get his phone number and call him when you are ready to go there.(I think he was out fishing and came to meet me). Cost me $30 for the report, down from $50 . After that I went to immigration by the airport, they really did not want to transfer it but I was calm, polite and just kept smiling. Eventually they said they would but that it would take one month, I asked if there was anyway to speed it up and got a flat out No. No word on the costs yet from immigration, find out end of December when I pick it up.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Btw, also saw a delivery of passports for extensions while at immigration and you guys would either laugh or cry if you saw how they transport them. And the sheer amount of them is kind of mind boggling considering they said they get 2 deliveries a day like that.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Thank you for the update Gardiguy, and for proving me right once again :stir: :wink:

Some of the officers at Immigration can be a pain, but sounds like you played the game just right by being patient, polite and persevering. I'm hoping you have a successful outcome and don't end up paying too much tea $.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

So an amazing update, I went to immigration today to pick up my passport hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I gave the guy my sheet of paper they gave me a month ago, sat down for five minutes, signed a piece of paper saying I received it back and done. No charge and I was in and out in 5 minutes with my multiple entry visa and extension transferred. Wow. Happy days
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:thumb: Glad to hear
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Well that is a surprise. I suppose at end of day it depends on how long you got left on the visa and whether you got time to do the legwork.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm Well that is a surprise. I suppose at end of day it depends on how long you got left on the visa and whether you got time to do the legwork.
Why is it a surprise? Happens more often than you realise, people lose/damage their passports, get new ones then get their visas transferred...all visa & passport info is stored digitally therefore it’s not as if it’s a difficult task.
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm They will not trnsfer your cambodia vis, you will have to get a new one.
Like I said, yes they will and yes they did.

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm Exit stamp, just did this 2 months ago for a khmer who got a nice new european passport, so You will need to get an exit stamp from immigration opposite the airport. they will want to see a letter from your embassy saying they have issued a new passport and the letter must be in English or khmer. If the embassy is in bangkok then they may want to see a letter from the embassy or consulate who dealt with it in phnom Penh also ( we needed a letter from the irish embassy in hanoi and the british embassy in phnom penh, bith addressed to Cambodian immigration). Any paperwork that they deem is missing can be "resolved' for an additional fee.
An exit stamp is valid for 1 week only and takes 3 working days. They may offer to do it quicker for a fee but do not rely on it. We paid $70 for same day service and got it 2 days later. The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner. i would take at least $100 and be prepared to negotiate. They also were at lunch from 12 to 3 on the day i went so get there early
What you are referring to is an Exit VISA...not an Exit STAMP. They used to be free for everyone, but as of Sept last year they are now officially $20, for everyone...don’t pay a cent more.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
pczz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm Well that is a surprise. I suppose at end of day it depends on how long you got left on the visa and whether you got time to do the legwork.
Why is it a surprise? Happens more often than you realise, people lose/damage their passports, get new ones then get their visas transferred...all visa & passport info is stored digitally therefore it’s not as if it’s a difficult task.
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm They will not trnsfer your cambodia vis, you will have to get a new one.
Like I said, yes they will and yes they did.

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm Exit stamp, just did this 2 months ago for a khmer who got a nice new european passport, so You will need to get an exit stamp from immigration opposite the airport. they will want to see a letter from your embassy saying they have issued a new passport and the letter must be in English or khmer. If the embassy is in bangkok then they may want to see a letter from the embassy or consulate who dealt with it in phnom Penh also ( we needed a letter from the irish embassy in hanoi and the british embassy in phnom penh, bith addressed to Cambodian immigration). Any paperwork that they deem is missing can be "resolved' for an additional fee.
An exit stamp is valid for 1 week only and takes 3 working days. They may offer to do it quicker for a fee but do not rely on it. We paid $70 for same day service and got it 2 days later. The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner. i would take at least $100 and be prepared to negotiate. They also were at lunch from 12 to 3 on the day i went so get there early
What you are referring to is an Exit VISA...not an Exit STAMP. They used to be free for everyone, but as of Sept last year they are now officially $20, for everyone...don’t pay a cent more.
I don't need to get this exit visa when I travel, do I? I should be good to go now I believe? Please yes lol

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Nope, you won’t need an Exit visa when you leave now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic