I finally got to Cambodia to marry....annnnnd....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I finally got to Cambodia to marry....annnnnd....

Post by AndyKK »

If you want to take her to your country, just take her for holiday. She may not like being away from Cambodia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Why get married, as someone said just take her for a holiday first. You don't have to be married to take a partner to civilisation.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Getting married in New Zealand is simple and easy although I dont understand why anyone would want to do it . Do your own search.

New Zealand Marriage Law Requirements
What are the legal requirements to get married in New Zealand?
Legal age for marriage is 18 years for both men and women. If 16 or 17 years old then parental consent is required.
Bride and Groom may not be related by blood, marriage or adoption

How long do I have to be resident in New Zealand before I can get married?
There are no residency requirements to get married in New Zealand, although if you are in New Zealand at least 3 working days before your marriage, you can apply for a marriage licence in person rather than apply from overseas.

Getting a marriage licence
You need to fill in a Statutory Declaration form which states that there is no lawful impediment to your marriage. This can be obtained from a New Zealand representative overseas, or from a registry office in New Zealand.
You will also need to fill in a Notice of Intended Marriage form before a New Zealand Registrar of Marriages.
You also need to advise the Registrar of the date of your wedding, in order for the wedding licence to be issued (valid for 3 months).

What legal papers do I need to take with me?
There is no proof of identity needed to marry in New Zealand.
If you have been divorced then the final divorce papers must be shown.
If you are widowed then the death certificate of your previous spouse must be shown.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Don't straight out offer a bribe or the person might get offended. I'd suggest doing it in a very roundabout way, like politely asking if there is any way this matter could be sorted out.
Right. Be subtle. Like this.

kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

johnnycanuck2017 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm Apparently the letter of non-impediment that was signed and stamped by the Canadian Embassy was rejected by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the reason they told my fiance was because it is not directly from Canadian Government (even though it has Government of Canada letterhead and stamped by the Canadian Embassy in Phnom Penh) its not valid because the embassy cannot verify if I am truly single or not, even though Canada itself does not have a certificate of celibacy/singleness, has anyone else come across this? and am I truly screwed now? my fiance did go to Mr. Vantha's office in the MoFA but it was not him she spoke with. On the two upsides, I now have a new X-Ray and certificate from Calamette saying I am STD free :P :beer3: but in all seriousness I dont know what else I can do, and I am in a bind :( if anyone could help me or give me suggestions I would be greatful
Send a letter to city hall in your home town (shown on your drivers license), and ask them to please write you a notarized document that they searched their records and could not find a marriage registered in your name. Marriage in Canada isn't federal, it is local, right ? Like how in the US you can technically get married in 2 states and no one would know. Then you will have local government stationary with a notarized stamp on it verifying your single status.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 am Getting married in New Zealand is simple and easy although I dont understand why anyone would want to do it . Do your own search.

New Zealand Marriage Law Requirements
What are the legal requirements to get married in New Zealand?
Legal age for marriage is 18 years for both men and women. If 16 or 17 years old then parental consent is required.
Bride and Groom may not be related by blood, marriage or adoption

How long do I have to be resident in New Zealand before I can get married?
There are no residency requirements to get married in New Zealand, although if you are in New Zealand at least 3 working days before your marriage, you can apply for a marriage licence in person rather than apply from overseas.

Getting a marriage licence
You need to fill in a Statutory Declaration form which states that there is no lawful impediment to your marriage. This can be obtained from a New Zealand representative overseas, or from a registry office in New Zealand.
You will also need to fill in a Notice of Intended Marriage form before a New Zealand Registrar of Marriages.
You also need to advise the Registrar of the date of your wedding, in order for the wedding licence to be issued (valid for 3 months).

What legal papers do I need to take with me?
There is no proof of identity needed to marry in New Zealand.
If you have been divorced then the final divorce papers must be shown.
If you are widowed then the death certificate of your previous spouse must be shown.
And they say romance is dead?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

johnnycanuck2017 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm That is the exact document that my fiance showed them stamped by the embassy in phnom penh, and they told her it was invalid because even though I swore an oath that the statement I gave to the embassy worker that I am singled and they signed it and stamped it, MoFA said it was not valid because its only the embassy (on behalf of my government?) saying I was legally swearing I am single and not the Canadian Government verifying (even though it is the government of Canada letterhead) that I am really truely single, as for the PSD-Kiwi marriage guide (sorry I could not think of a different way to say that) already read it, that is the information we are going off of, and Mr. Vantha who may not take bribes, but I guess his staff is more then happy to take them.....maybe a handler at this point WOULD have been a good idea...at this point my Fiance is thinking just thinking to pay the bribes....and me too over all the frustration this is causing....
can you take her out of Cambodia to another nearby country to marry?
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm Why get married, as someone said just take her for a holiday first. You don't have to be married to take a partner to civilisation.
all depends which country you're talking about, here in Australia i 'HAD' to marry my partner in the immigration process, it was a requirement, whilst our female prime minister was living in sin with her partner at the time ha, i couldn't marry her in Cambodia because the law had just changed where guys(farang) over 50 cant marry Khmer women
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

SEAfann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 am
willyhilly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm Why get married, as someone said just take her for a holiday first. You don't have to be married to take a partner to civilisation.
all depends which country you're talking about, here in Australia i 'HAD' to marry my partner in the immigration process, it was a requirement, whilst our female prime minister was living in sin with her partner at the time ha, i couldn't marry her in Cambodia because the law had just changed where guys(farang) over 50 cant marry Khmer women
What visa were you applying for,As I personally know you dont have to marry to get a PR or tourists visa,oh yeah Im australian too.

For A PR visa you dont have to marry,just prove you and your partner have been living together for 12mths or more...interested to know which visa you applied for which you HAD to marry.

I personally wouldnt bother marrying in Camboida not worth the trouble...
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
SEAfann
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SEAfann »

hi, yes if you have been living together 12mths you can get the partner visa subclass 820, you must be able to prove it, we went with the prospective marriage visa subclass 300..and yes it was a formal requirement we HAD to marry in Australia.

the link below may include some helpful info
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0
Last edited by SEAfann on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic