Tourist Bus Crashes; People Killed and Injured

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tourist Bus Crashes; People Killed and Injured

Post by AndyKK »

Duncan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:50 pm Strange that I thought of that bus company straight away when I saw this.
That the Vireak Buntham company is still running - and still scamming, still driving dangerously - is bad news for tourism in Cambodia, even if the authorities don't care about the locals (which they should of course.)
How many cases of fatal accidents, smuggling, and rape and theft of customers will be enough before anything is done about this company ?
Shame on the transport authorities. Vireak Buntham gives a bad name to Cambodia and a bad reputation for Cambodian buses.
And it's dangerous. :please:
I got the Vireak Buntham bus from PP to KK yesterday. Stopped twice on the mountain road, because of overheating. Then changed to another bus to complete the journey.

But never mind I am sure new Chinese buses will be on the agenda.

What makes you think that. I'm sure their mechanics will repair that bus that you were on and the head-on smashed up one in a few days time.,, making one good as new out of two.
That will be for sure Duncan.
Another thing about booking tickets for the bus! I have on many occasions gone to the booking office, and been told the two tier prices. One for westerners $8 and one for Khmer $7. When stating why? What do I get different for my price. The girl has told me no seats left now. If I was to go next door $10 per ticket, I don't like these scams. My lady went back alone and bought the tickets for $6 each.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

I got the Vireak Buntham bus from PP to KK yesterday.
Did you get raped?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Without being insensitive to those affected, I'm impressed with how well the body of that bus stood up to the impact. Given the amount of damage to the front end, from behind the door backward looks unaffected. I'd always assumed that these things would just fold up and trap the passengers.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Did you get raped?
You sound like a ticket tout :please:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm Without being insensitive to those affected, I'm impressed with how well the body of that bus stood up to the impact. Given the amount of damage to the front end, from behind the door backward looks unaffected. I'd always assumed that these things would just fold up and trap the passengers.
Perhaps busses are designed like cars, the front collapse and takes all the inpact to save the rest of the vehicle.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm Without being insensitive to those affected, I'm impressed with how well the body of that bus stood up to the impact. Given the amount of damage to the front end, from behind the door backward looks unaffected. I'd always assumed that these things would just fold up and trap the passengers.
Perhaps busses are designed like cars, the front collapse and takes all the inpact to save the rest of the vehicle.
Yep, very clear crumple zone on that one...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 pm
Yep, very clear crumple zone on that one...
I think you guys are over thinking this one. Those buses are ancient and for all we know the cab of the truck could have been attached to the frame with a few old rusted nuts.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Did you get raped?
Are you mocking PN ?
Ok, I should have said 'attempted' rape. The Virak Buntham bus driver was charged with sexual assault. This was back in 2015, but it bears repeating.
What happened after that, I don't know. He's probably still working for VB.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/16702/ ... -assault-/
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Did you get raped?
Are you mocking PN ?
Ok, I should have said 'attempted' rape. The Virak Buntham bus driver was charged with sexual assault. This was back in 2015, but it bears repeating.
What happened after that, I don't know. He's probably still working for VB.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/16702/ ... -assault-/
Yes the wages are low in cambodia but nobody in there right mind works for VB
Pantsdragon
Tourist
Canada

Post by Pantsdragon »

Awful news. Condolences to the families affected.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic