Oh, You Internet.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Oh, You Internet.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

ImageImage
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Arget wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:08 pm Image
I’ve one or two anecdotes that I’d love to share, but I’m sure there’s a few Fatwah on my head already.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm I’ve one or two anecdotes that I’d love to share, but I’m sure there’s a few Fatwah on my head already.
Please do
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Mistaken identity

A while back, I was positioning back to base in Oman, and found myself in Bahrain, early in the morning waiting for a connecting flight.

I was keeping myself to myself in the corner, when an Arab family turn up.

Arab male in typical travel attire of scruffy jeans, tee-shirt, and sandals, with 3 women in full Laura Ashley blackout curtains, and a small gaggle of kids.
The ‘Husband’* plants his family in a nest of seats, and after a short talk, wanders off. Presumably to get some drinks and things.
It’s early in the morning, and the sun is rising. Bahrain’s terminal has these big glass windows, which do little to reduce the internal heat from direct sun. As the departures area warms up, the family get uncomfortable. Eventually, they pick everything up and relocate to a more shaded corner, like I had already done.

Anyway. A short time later, while I was keeping myself to myself in my little corner, an Arab family turns up.
Arab male in typical travel attire of scruffy jeans, tee-shirt, and sandals, with 3 women in full Laura Ashley blackout curtains, and a small gaggle of kids.
The ‘Husband’* plants his family in a nest of seats, and after a short talk, wanders off. Presumably to get some drinks and things.

A little while after, Arab male/husband number 1 returns, carrying a supply of drinks and things, and walks over to where he left his family. He starts handing out bottles of drinks to grateful children, but as he does so, his movements become hesitant, slowed. Indecisive.

It’s at this moment that his wife stands up in the other seating area, in the shaded corner, lifts her veil so he can recognise her, (small embarrassed glance in my direction, and shouts ‘We’re over here!’

*I’m making some assumptions

Mistaken priorities

A couple of years earlier, we had a base in South east Asia. Our outfit put us in a fairly decent hotel, a little towards the then outskirts of KL. Nice views of the Petronas Towers.
On our off days, we took over the hotel swimming pool. The hotel was pretty quiet. Except for us.

A fella turns up with his wife*. He’s in swimming trunks, and she’s dressed head to toe in the least appropriate pool attire. They keep to themselves, and it’s lunchtime. A bit warm. A few of us are enjoying becoming what can best be described as pool lobsters. Caucasians turning pink in the water.
This fella and his wife decide to take a dip, and misjudge the depth of the pool. Very quickly, she’s in trouble. The Laura Ashley Blackout curtains become saturated, and impede every effort she makes to stay upright. She’s on her way to the bottom.
So we start swimming towards her, to help her, when her husband heroically places himself between us and her, to preserve her modesty. Once he’s fended us off, he turns his attention to his wife, who has somehow kept it together, and found her way back to the steps.
Once back on dry land, she’s clearly exhausted, but grateful for her husbands efforts, despite the wraparound waterlogged garments that must be a good bit heavier, now.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Sorry i couldn't resist this stupid gif...

Yeah the multiple inconvenients of the religious-package clothing could be worth a thread of it's own...

I was more concerned by the side-blinded sight of the women wearing a hijab and no helmet while driving motorbikes in Indonesia...they just don't see what's coming on their sides, and often don't check before crossing streets...
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic