Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

Post by Arget »

Used a passapp bloke from Monivong to 172. When we arrived he said "three" and I thought he meant 3000 reil... Alas he meant $3. I told him it usually cost me 4000/5000 R as I have done a few times before and he said no it is $3. I asked him to show me his phone and he said already finished. I gave him 6000 and walked away.
When I checked my phone it showed he had cancelled the booking after he stopped for me.
Cheating prick.

I sent email to passapp and complained of the cheating and its up to them now.

Just so you are aware of this scam.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 am
Username Taken wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm The problem with all these new tuk tuks is they don't have number plates. How are we to know which is the PassApp tuk tuk that we called?

That problem is currently being rectified, I believe.
News story here newsworthy/illegal-tuk-tuk-crackdown-t16445.html

:hattip:
Confused now. When i use passap it teels me the drivers number in app and you can see his face in app. Evrry passap I have used has a black and white passap number on the front in big letteres at the bottom of the windscreen. When a driver acccepts my call the app shows that passap 12345 is on the way and will be 2 minutes. Just nake sure the number matches the ride in the app. if there is no number don't get in and call passap straight away
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@pczz, see the link that I quoted above. The story is from November 2017. Things were different then.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:05 pm @pczz, see the link that I quoted above. The story is from November 2017. Things were different then.
Sorry mate i just noticed you are talking about number plates. i am talking about the passap id number. i dont think i have ever seen a passap without 1, and i have been using them since they started. I always look at the map on their phone too because passap maps is crap and often sends them the wrong way
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Some have no number and just a colour plus driver info (as confirmed by me in Kampot earlier)

I understand tuktuk drivers gotta eat but it does get on my nerves when I say no and then they ask where in going. My Britishness doesn't allow me to just ignore people so it's really hard work :'(
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Since the thread was written almost every baraj tuktuk has a license plate. I don't think that one off in Kampot should be our reference here... There is over 300,000 baraj tuktuk. When you had the problem in Kampot was there any other nearby that you could have confused it with? The problem doesnt really occur until there are several cramped in one area
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

fax wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:35 am Since the thread was written almost every baraj tuktuk has a license plate. I don't think that one off in Kampot should be our reference here... There is over 300,000 baraj tuktuk. When you had the problem in Kampot was there any other nearby that you could have confused it with? The problem doesnt really occur until there are several cramped in one area
From memory the whole PassApp fleet got taken off the road until they had license plates and PassApp numbers about six months ago.

Make it a habit to check the driver's app screen when he arrives and confirm that it's your booking - sends a clear message that it's not your first rodeo.

Also, and this might be alarming to new players, some drivers find Google Maps easier to follow than the PassApp map and will swipe to GMaps during the trip - as the PA map doesn't orient to the direction of travel, I can understand this. Just watch that at the end of the trip the driver swipes back to the PA screen and swipes the "Swipe to End" bar at the bottom of the screen, and then takes their hands away from the phone to allow you to check the price. Any other swiping, there is probably some bodge dodge going on.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

fax wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:35 am Since the thread was written almost every baraj tuktuk has a license plate. I don't think that one off in Kampot should be our reference here... There is over 300,000 baraj tuktuk. When you had the problem in Kampot was there any other nearby that you could have confused it with? The problem doesnt really occur until there are several cramped in one area
The app itself stated it had no reg / number so I don't think it's a one off as it seems an option in the app. It was 100% the correct driver as no others were around and I was tracking the guy via the app, also he knew where I was going before I said so it was definitely him.

Wasn't a problem at all either, I was just letting people know information that I myself have confirmed.

Guy was a good driver and spoke decent English, I gave him 5 stars And the journey was cheap enough

P.s the vehicle was a traditional style tuktuk, not the smaller style passapp ones, this probably played a part in the reg fiasco!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Don't be too strung up on what functionality PassApp has because they just buy white label https://taxistartup.com/

If you remember Exnet they used exactly the same, even earlier, but PassApp beat them in marketing so that's the brand you chose instead.

A little bit of marketing advice for you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic