Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

Post by willyhilly »

I see Scammer Steve all the time on the riverside but he doesn't seem to beg every day anymore.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Arget wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm I try to use tuk tuks as I know most only have this as the family income. Having said that I get pissed at the ones who try to charge too much for travel.
I know what the prices are and will not pay more except at night (after sunset) and holiday times.
Why pay more at night? I know Exnet charges a premium between 6 and 8pm which is logical but after 10pm tuktuk drivers love to drive as the roads are so clear. I remember when I first came to PP, the guide books all said you have to pay more at night. I gradually came to realise that was not so.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I pay more at night because they are available (some only work days) These blokes I use look after me and anyone I have with me. An extra $ at night ensures I get where I want to go and safely. And the other reason is that they generally work all day and to me $1 extra for them to be available at night to transport me safely is well worth it.
You are welcome to negotiate a fee with your own drivers. I choose to look after mine as they look after me.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

What's the difference between a fake tuk tuk driver that "poaches" a PassApp fare, and a real tuk tuk driver that just stops for two white woman and says "tuk tuk?" and then drives off with them when they get in, without knowing they are waiting for a PassApp driver?

And don't tell me it's because the ladies asked him "Are you PassApp?" and he said "yes." Because all tuk tuk drivers answer every question with "yes."
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm What's the difference between a fake tuk tuk driver that "poaches" a PassApp fare, and a real tuk tuk driver that just stops for two white woman and says "tuk tuk?" and then drives off with them when they get in, without knowing they are waiting for a PassApp driver?

And don't tell me it's because the ladies asked him "Are you PassApp?" and he said "yes." Because all tuk tuk drivers answer every question with "yes."
The difference is the two ladies had booked the fare on PassApp and reasonably expected to pay the PassApp rate from their location to their destination. They had some knowledge of what that fare should have been based on having completed exactly the same trip previously at a similar time of day. This driver is driving a fake PassApp vehicle, purporting to be a legitimate PassApp driver, and claiming to be their booked driver. The western women did not have the awareness to check that, the driver took them on the scenic tour around the city, and then tried to charge them a half-day rate for a normal tuktuk.

Given your level of education I suspect you're just trolling.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

No, not trolling, I had no idea that there are PassApp-specific or logoed tuk tuks. I figured it was like Uber, where people use private vehicles.

Isn't it just as likely he's a real Pass App driver, in a real Pass App tuk tuk, and just knowingly or unknowingly poached another driver's fare?

I will assume PassApp tuk tuk drivers pick up other fares when they don't have Pass App fares? And they probably prefer that because it's more profitable. Maybe he thought he was getting a profitable non-PassApp fare and was then very disappointed at the end when they started squawking about paying the PassApp rate.

I agree $8 is nuts though.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 am No, not trolling, I had no idea that there are PassApp-specific or logoed tuk tuks.
I had no idea you'd been out of Cambodia for the past 12 months.
Isn't it just as likely he's a real Pass App driver, in a real Pass App tuk tuk, and just knowingly or unknowingly poached another driver's fare?
Anything's possible. But given that he told me he's not a registered Pass App driver, it's more likely that his friend, who IS a PassApp driver, sent him the fare details to poach the fare. It's also quite likely that you're just taking the opposite stance for giggles.
I will assume PassApp tuk tuk drivers pick up other fares when they don't have Pass App fares? And they probably prefer that because it's more profitable. Maybe he thought he was getting a profitable non-PassApp fare and was then very disappointed at the end when they started squawking about paying the PassApp rate.
Assume away, although by your admission you have no knowledge of this service, so...
I agree $8 is nuts though.
Oh, good, I'm quite relieved.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm
Anything's possible. But given that he told me he's not a registered Pass App driver, it's more likely that his friend, who IS a PassApp driver, sent him the fare details to poach the fare. It's also quite likely that you're just taking the opposite stance for giggles.
Well, that's not what you said in your original post at all. You said that he claimed his app wasn't working. You said nothing about him telling you he's not a Pass App driver.

The idea that pass app drivers are monitoring the app and then calling non pass app friends to drive there and pick up the passengers before the pass app driver gets there is a bit farfetched, I'd expect paranoia like that from Ned.

He's a pass app driver who just thought he was picking up an "off app" fare and then objected when they started demanding he charge them by app.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm
Well, that's not what you said in your original post at all. You said that he claimed his app wasn't working. You said nothing about him telling you he's not a Pass App driver.

The idea that pass app drivers are monitoring the app and then calling non pass app friends to drive there and pick up the passengers before the pass app driver gets there is a bit farfetched, I'd expect paranoia like that from Ned.

He's a pass app driver who just thought he was picking up an "off app" fare and then objected when they started demanding he charge them by app.
My apologies, I didn't realise you were there at the time and clearly know about the incident much more than I. I'm impressed at your level of knowledge, given your stated absence of knowledge - I yield to your superiority.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Better just pay the extra fee of 3 USD rather than risk losing face, them tuk tuks make jack shit anyway they just want a few extra buck for beers or some rice and fish.

Got to remember stoppy chops your from OZ where you can make this guys daily wage in 30 minutes doing unskilled menial labour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic