Hard Rock Cafe Now Open in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hard Rock Cafe Now Open in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm Where does the service charge go? There's no law requiring the assessment of a 10% service charge.
I'm confused between a withholding tax on service and a service charge that would be equal to "tips".
Don't forget the water buffalo
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

It gets split between all service staff, usually monthly

Some good months, people can double their incomes

A service charge is not the same as a tip, tips are above and beyond the service charge.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

in the states a service charge is the same as a tip and usually ONLY applied when the seating is 6 or more customers.

Went to Bali and they tack on 10 % tax, 8% sc and 3 % Bali tax to rooms and food
what a rip off, more expensive than Phuket
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Got it, thanks.

Well, the staff were quite friendly and efficient (above average), so it was kinda worth the 10% service charge :roll:
Don't forget the water buffalo
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pm in the states a service charge is the same as a tip and usually ONLY applied when the seating is 6 or more customers.
Yeah, but we're talking about Cambodia, we don't really care what happens in Arkansas.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Kayve wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm Got it, thanks.

Well, the staff were quite friendly and efficient (above average), so it was kinda worth the 10% service charge :roll:
I would say that about most staff, Guest house owners and tuk tuk drivers in SR. People there seem to have a genuine cheerful attitude compared to PP and SHV. Maybe they've not been over-exposed to the unsavory tourists and methpats up there? :chin:
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Fourkinnel wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am
Kayve wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm Got it, thanks.

I would say that about most staff, Guest house owners and tuk tuk drivers in SR. People there seem to have a genuine cheerful attitude compared to PP and SHV. Maybe they've not been over-exposed to the unsavory tourists and methpats up there? :chin:
I'd 2nd this.
whilst I had no negative experiences in pp or shv & enjoyed my week in each in numerous ways the week I spent in sr stood out as better in this regards & I hope my choice to return there & stay for 6-months starting later this month proves to be well founded........................ :crazy:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm Where does the service charge go? There's no law requiring the assessment of a 10% service charge.
It must be a service charge to help offset their indoor lighting electric bill, which must be exorbitant. It's like an interrogation room in there.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

vladimir wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pm in the states a service charge is the same as a tip and usually ONLY applied when the seating is 6 or more customers.
Yeah, but we're talking about Cambodia, we don't really care what happens in Arkansas.
well you should,

Hard Rock is a US company ( Hard Rock was sold to the Seminole Tribe of Florida, and since then it is headquartered in Orlando, Florida) and the HR in PP is a franchise and will follow policy set down by the head company

regarding service charge ( tips) and the wait staff
In 2008, anonymous members of the wait staff criticized the business because of its practice of paying them less than half the official minimum wage in the UK, with the business allocating tips to staff to bring their salaries within the law. Most customers, it was argued, do not realize that they are subsidizing a low wage when they give the tip.[6]
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 amwell you should,
Richard, not sure if you noticed, but this thread is about HR in Phnom Penh, so let's try and keep to that, right?

I suggest you report their waywardness to head office, I'm sure they'll get right on it and everything will be fixed tomorrow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic