Importance of locals

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Importance of locals

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Locals are gonna help you if you fall ill or get too drunk.

One time i was soo sick in thailand from too much grog (17 beers) i seriously couldnt make it to the shop to buy food the next day.
I tipped the bar girl friend downstairs 50 baht to get me a 99 baht pizza to fix me up.
If i hadnt have previously befriended her i woulda been ruined all day.

Point is if the locals see a barang/farang in a bad way they will definatly help out, Hence the importants of befriending local khmer/Thai people.

Many noobs dont know these little tricks and ignore the locals then some end in a bad way with nobody to help.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Importance of locals

Post by frank lee bent »

well said. poor people are more likely to help out others in a jam coz they know how close it is to being in the shit.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm Locals are gonna help you if you fall ill or get too drunk.

Rule one,if you make friends rather than enemies you don't have to watch your back :thumb: Well most of the time anyway! :D

prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm Locals are gonna help you if you fall ill or get too drunk.

One time i was soo sick in thailand from too much grog (17 beers) i seriously couldnt make it to the shop to buy food the next day.
I tipped the bar girl friend downstairs 50 baht to get me a 99 baht pizza to fix me up.
If i hadnt have previously befriended her i woulda been ruined all day.

Point is if the locals see a barang/farang in a bad way they will definatly help out, Hence the importants of befriending local khmer/Thai people.

Many noobs dont know these little tricks and ignore the locals then some end in a bad way with nobody to help.
Well said. I've long believed that the Thai and Khmer were put on this earth for the sole purpose of assisting cashed-up bogans on vacation who are too hungover to drag themselves down the stairs and too stupid to figure out how to order a meal from room service.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i would personally like to encourage any positive posts that give good tips on how to get along here.
now, how abt gf advice?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm
now, how abt gf advice?
always agree with her, even if u know she is wrong :beer3:
and Never< EVER say anything negative about her family
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm i would personally like to encourage any positive posts that give good tips on how to get along here.
now, how abt gf advice?
I tip too noobs is to barfine the girl you like during happy hour, most likely she will sit with you and drink at happy hour prices for the both of you ( no lady drink charge).

Is that GF advice?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

It only takes ONE sentence..... Just one! And you know the kid is back!
How's Pinjarra kid?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Barang chgout wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 am It only takes ONE sentence..... Just one! And you know the kid is back!
How's Pinjarra kid?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Im not in Perth im in tokyo.

I live in japan now, its not so easy money like australia.

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm i would personally like to encourage any positive posts that give good tips on how to get along here.
now, how abt gf advice?
Sorry Frank but trying to eke some value from Twapper's posts is like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Good luck anyway.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic