Building in Kep.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Building in Kep.

Post by whiteribbon »

Not sure if this is the right place to post but couldn't find an appropriate subforum. Feel free to move this admins.

I just started building a new house in Kep 2 weeks ago (it took me 1 year to get the plans right but my khmer architects were amazingly understanding and accomodating, I'm a bit ocd). And was wondering if I could be of help to other people who might have questions about building their own house or if people would be interested in following up with my build. Let me know.

Have to say, in less then 2 weeks they are already almost finished with the foundations and the swimming pool, they are working from morning till evening 6 days a week in heat or rain, and still every time i see them they seem to be in an amazingly good mood, don't think I've ever seen that in europe where they work 8 hours a day and 5 days a week. I do bring them plenty of beer so that might have something to do with it :chin:

I'll have a look through the forum on how I can post pictures here and if there is interest in it I'll post some another time.
just noise, white noise
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Building in Kep.

Post by taabarang »

Kep is too sleepy for my tastes. Just out of curiosity why did you decide to live there? More pictures would be appreciated along with total cost estimates (excluding beer.)
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cool; where is ur land? I love kep, my fav place in Cambodia ( helps my gf's family is there :-) )
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

taabarang wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:39 pm Kep is too sleepy for my tastes. Just out of curiosity why did you decide to live there? More pictures would be appreciated along with total cost estimates (excluding beer.)
I used to live in London for 10 years (not my home city though) before I moved to cambodia. Kep is sleepy, quiet but beautiful also, exactly why I moved here, I needed a change of pace according to my doctor. I still go to PP once or twice a month for the weekend to go clubbing and enjoying the restaurants there, it's only a 2.5h drive, but wouldn't want to live there permanently. Kep suits me fine.
just noise, white noise
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

To each his own. How about price estimates?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:40 pm cool; where is ur land? I love kep, my fav place in Cambodia ( helps my gf's family is there :-) )
My house (and my new house I'm building is right next to it) is in Kao Krosang. It's a 5 or 8 minute drive from the beach but it's very close and has beautiful views of the mountains. There is a market only 2 minutes away, I know most of the neighbours and its full of wildlife so it's a nice place to live. The only 'problem' here is that normally is amazingly quiet, but I do have 2 pagodas in close proximity so every khmer holiday they're blasting out their tunes or prayers from the morning. Luckily my bedroom is quite well isolated.
just noise, white noise
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

It isn't exactly an estimate because I have a contract for the total build so I know for sure. But I pay 500$ a sqm. I know this might seem a lot to many people here but let me explain. In my total contract for that price everything is included, swimming pool, furniture, everything you can think of, basically it's a turnkey contract with a guaranteed delivery time.
just noise, white noise
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Please post progress pics.

This might help you announces/how-to-attach-images-and-vide ... t6851.html
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:39 pm Please post progress pics.

This might help you announces/how-to-attach-images-and-vide ... t6851.html
Thank you, I keep getting 'request time out'. I'll try again tomorrow.
just noise, white noise
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 pm It isn't exactly an estimate because I have a contract for the total build so I know for sure. But I pay 500$ a sqm. I know this might seem a lot to many people here but let me explain. In my total contract for that price everything is included, swimming pool, furniture, everything you can think of, basically it's a turnkey contract with a guaranteed delivery time.
how big? ?at $500/ its going to be a Palace
post progress report :thumb:
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic