Building in Kep.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Building in Kep.

Post by phuketrichard »

yep, but far more suitable to living in Cambodia..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 am yep, but far more suitable to living in Cambodia..
Really ?

Having seen the Kep place I would opine that it is perfect for the tropics
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 am yep, but far more suitable to living in Cambodia..
Really ?

Having seen the Kep place I would opine that it is perfect for the tropics 8-)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:36 pm This is the house i want on our land :beer3:
If you do build a typical Khmer style stilt house like that, rethink the stairway...if you're downstairs, and it starts raining, and you want to get upstairs :facepalm:
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

these are nice IMHO

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:36 pm This is the house i want on our land :beer3:
If you do build a typical Khmer style stilt house like that, rethink the stairway...if you're downstairs, and it starts raining, and you want to get upsatairs :facepalm:
Funny you should mention...

The other half's home in the provinces has one of these external staircases. When she showed me a picture of a house that she likes (architect sketch), I queried the rational of having the stairs outside, especially when it's raining, and your downstairs, wanting to look in on the kids upstairs. Why not have an internal staircase?
The conversation lasted about 5 minutes (largely single sided) before it was determined that I am actually crazy and should concentrate on drinking my beer.

The best bit is that there are no banisters on the existing stairs- and our parties have a tendency to include much beer. I marvel at the fact we haven't had the crazy barang fall off the side...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 am
If you do build a typical Khmer style stilt house like that, rethink the stairway...if you're downstairs, and it starts raining, and you want to get upstairs :facepalm:
awww, scared of a little rain>>> :facepalm:
Not like someone just opens the skies without a minute warning..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Hahaha...scared of a little rain? not at all PR...it's just common dog-fuck (sense), most of these Khmer style houses out in the province are exactly the same. Some have built awnings out over the stairs, and some have a small stairway leading up to a hatch door from under the house...but the majority have the stairs out and exposed, and as mentioned, many don't even have banisters...a definite hazard when drunk :D

Whenever I'm out in the province I barely ever even go upstairs, hang a hammock under the house, drink ridiculous amounts of beer with ice, go piss in the trees, then sleep in the hammock under the house at night because its cooler.

I'm actually surprised you didn't compare the Khmer house stair positioning with Thai house stair positioning! :shock:

Anyway...back on topic, the Kep house looks great Whiteribbon :thumb:
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

If my house is not suitable for living here than why did you ask to come and have a look? Also, why would it not be suitable? All the windows can open completely and there is wind-flow straight through all the buildings. Flat roof? It's pretty thick with overhangs and no long direct sunlight on the windows, double ceilings in the bedrooms and roof can be fully planted in the future if heat indeed would be a problem. Always nice to see how double faced some people here are.
just noise, white noise
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:36 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:01 pm This is the house i want on our land :beer3:

or
These two are quite similar to a design that my other half has hinted at, for a piece of land that we have our eye on.
I have to say that I'd be very interested to see up close the OP's house (bearing in mind the issue of copying mentioned in another thread) as that is certainly my sort of thing.
I visited a factory on the Russians Chinese border if you have a decent drawing they can prepare any style of solid wooden house and ship them to you in a container ready to be assembled like a toy.
They make some really nice Swiss style chalets, I think it would be quite interesting to have a wooden Swiss chalet in Cambodia... on stilts. :D They can also make multiple floors and treat the wood for termites.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic