The Notorious Ned Kelly Conned in Cambodia by The Infamous Scammer James Whitlow

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: The Notorious Ned Kelly Conned in Cambodia by The Infamous Scammer James Whitlow

Post by Cam Nivag »

Whitlow claims on Facebook that he never took $1500 from Ned, he only took $300 that Ned offered as a tip for the police.

Ned has sent me audio files of his message exchanges with Whitlow.

In those messages, Whitlow:

1. Asks Ned to get together "a grand" plus "500 quid."
2. Says there's no way in the world Ned won't get all his stuff back
3. Says "I'll go buy a glock and blow his fucking head off."
4. Says if the job isn't done by his cop friends, he'll call his grandfather, whoever that is.

Anyway, here are the audio messages, I have no idea of the chronological order of the messages. This is apparently what dodgy expats sound like.

https://instaud.io/1qx3

https://instaud.io/1qxc

https://instaud.io/1qxe

https://instaud.io/1qxg
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: The Notorious Ned Kelly Conned in Cambodia by The Infamous Scammer James Whitlow

Post by prahocalypse now »

Is it legal for Ned Kelly to give those recordings to another person? Is it illegal for us to listen to them?
Article 301 of the Cambodian Criminal Code,... decrees that listening to or recording private or confidential speech is a punishable offence, except in instances where it has been authorised by law.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

prahocalypse now wrote:Is it legal for Ned Kelly to give those recordings to another person? Is it illegal for us to listen to them?
Article 301 of the Cambodian Criminal Code,... decrees that listening to or recording private or confidential speech is a punishable offence, except in instances where it has been authorised by law.
^ this.

Unless Ned told him the conversations were being recorded these are illegal and can get Ned into a spot of bother. Even more than he is already in.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Whitlow recorded his own voice and sent it to Ned as voicemail-type text messages because he's illiterate.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

If Whitlow is illiterate, how would he know whether you hand him $1,500 in $100 bills or 15 $1 bills? Does he look at the face of the dead guy on the banknote?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Illiterate does not mean stupid.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:popcorn:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:06 pm If Whitlow is illiterate, how would he know whether you hand him $1,500 in $100 bills or 15 $1 bills? Does he look at the face of the dead guy on the banknote?
Horrifically good humour.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Should have just paid the landlord. I've never seen anyone write so fucking poorly, and I've taught English in Cambodia. :facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And the latest updates from Ned:

In case anyone is still uncertain as to the veracity of my claims or the essentially false nature of Whitlow's version of events, here are just 10 of several dozen recordings I have of him since he typically communicates using Whatsapp's voice record instead of text. He explicitly asks for $1500 as one of the many highlights found therein. If I wanted to wade through it all and relive him yammering lies at me I'm sure I could find more incriminating things in there, but my stomach can only take so much in one sitting.

Included as well is a screenshot to go along with the screen 1,2,3 WAV files, which are the first 3 voice recordings on that page. There you will see that I am talking about coming up with ANOTHER 500, and then my last text message I reply that I don't think I'm being overly anxious or paranoid given the landlord's deceitfulness in the past ... because, at the time, I believed the landlord had already been handed like $850 or $1000 or something, and I still hadn't gotten any of my stuff back. Of course, Jay hadn't given him 100R of that money at that point, unbeknownst to me, because Jay never intended to help me with the problem, he was conning me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13E0q6H ... sp=sharing

For anyone wondering about what happened with the landlord, here is the actual review I wrote of his building (1 star, zero stars wasn't possible) and with a special preface added putting it all in context:
=======

I wrote this review for the REVIEWS section of his FB page. He took the section down after I posted it. He won't be attempting any defamation lawsuits, despite Cambodia having a revered recent tradition of them, because it's all true. Since so many of you have bizzarely proven so easily distracted by this issue when, if you think about it, even if the landlord wasn't a total jerkoff, Whitlow actually stole his money too when he didn't give him the roughly $1000 I believed that I'd paid to him for the repairs to the place, here is a fuller telling of that sordid tale. Enjoy. And now, like, get a fucking grip and stay on topic: Jay Whitlow is a con artist and a thief, whether I'm a bad tenant or not, and here's my version of things for you:

The man who owns this building, Mr. Francksoda Kang, is a liar, a cheat, and an outright thief. Do not trust him. Do not rent from him. Do not do business with him. Or you may very well come to regret it. The property address is 11 St 430 Phsar Doeum Thkov (between 506 and 510) and his website is angkormini.com ... He owns a building in Phnom Penh and one in Siem Reap apparently.

Francksoda Kang rented me some office space that I told him I wanted to convert into a recording studio. He told me at the time we were negotiating the lease that a front entrance would be built within the first month and that he'd already paid the contractors to do it, it was just a matter of a little time and they'd do it. He also told me that he'd have all of the glass partitions taken down for me since it was divided into offices and I did not need offices, rather a large open room. I had turned down Francksoda Kang three times and given him reasons why each time and each time he lied to me and told me that he'd change this or that in order to keep me interested until I finally agreed.

As soon as I had paid him the first month's rent and deposit, he reneged on those promises. When I challenged him about this, his exact words to me were "you should have got it in writing." To which I replied, "Oh, so that means your word is no good then? I wish I'd known earlier."

But I could have guessed this because when we did the lease signing, it was very irregular. I signed the lease and then he did not. I asked him about that and he said oh never mind that and changed the subject. This came up later on in my tenancy and he basically admitted to contract fraud: He wanted me to sign the lease to hold me to its obligations, while avoiding signing it himself unless required to in order to escape his obligations. This invalidated the lease, in fact, under Cambodian law, and made the arrangement an at-will tenancy, but he doesn't acknowledge this fact and will not return my security deposit or even apply it towards the damages he says I now owe. He is a liar and a cheat.

I rented the space for use as a recording studio. Anyone who isn't a complete idiot might realize that this would necessarily mean that a great deal of noise might be made from time to time. Francksoda Kang is no idiot, so he realized this, yet he rented me a space that was directly above a graphic design studio that required relative quiet in order to work, when he knew the floor and ceiling between us was paper thin. It was almost dangerous it was so inadequate. But he expected me to fix this in order to be able to use the property for what I had rented it for. I hadn't been informed prior that the graphic design studio operated around the clock, 24 hours per day, 6 days a week.

Finally, after I had done some renovations, at about the 60 day mark of tenancy, I held an event that was to last 2 hours with 2 bands playing and a video crew shooting a music video. I informed him of this in advance. The night of the event he claimed that he didn't hear about it and tried to interfere with it in every way he possibly could. It was very loud, I admit that, but it was very loud for TWO HOURS OUT OF SIXTY DAYS in total. For a space rented to be a recording studio.

After the event was finished, the next day I was away for most of the day. When I returned, I noticed that my pet kitten that Francksoda Kang complained about frequently had mysteriously gone missing. There was no way in or out of the space. The kitten was not Houdini. Clearly Francksoda Kang entered the space and took the kitten and did God knows what with it. He won't even tell me. He may have killed it for all I know. He certainly has done nothing to assuage my fears that he did. And I never did find the kitten again - not in the building or around the neighborhood when I looked.

So I texted him and asked him where my cat was and got no reply. I went to dinner and texted him the same question and then a while later I got a message informing me that the locks had been changed and I should meet to give them my parking garage keys. No reason was given for this illegal, arbitrary, and summary eviction. He now claims that he never evicted me, that I was simply late on the rent and bills. I was late in paying but eviction for non-payment still requires a 30 day notice under Cambodian law. And at any rate, he has made the extraordinary claim that no eviction took place. To which I replied - okay then I'll just pay you the rent and bills and you will give me the keys to the place and I will have my possessions back. He refused.

Oh did I not mention yet? Francksoda Kang stole everything I owned, or is attempting to. He is holding every piece of property I own, from my clothing to expensive musical equipment, and refuses to let me have it unless I pay him extortionate repair fees. These fees - estimates done by repairmen in front of me and a friend of mine who spoke Khmer - started out at $900 at the first meeting, which was way too high, but I agreed to pay it just to be done with it all. But then they went up to $1700 at the next meeting, with new estimates he claimed to have gotten done, but clearly he just inflated the figures and roughly doubled the total. Exhausted with the whole ordeal, I agreed to this extortion, but he wouldn't just take the money from me and let me have my things. Then we had another meeting and they had been revised upwards again - for no logical reason at all - to $3600. I had $2000 on me that day and I offered to him to just let me take my things and go but he refused, he would only go down to $2600, which I did not and do not have and should not owe anyways because it's a totally made-up figure. What he is doing is extortion and theft.

My girlfriend's father came to help me and he pointed out that we could have these supposed repairs done for far less money than he was trying to bill me for so why aren't I allowed to hire repairmen to do that then? Francksoda Kang refused, no particular reason. We can't get independent estimates done either.

As of today, Francksoda Kang, a liar and a thief and a cheat, continues to hold my property illegally and whenever I or my friends meet with him to discuss this issue, he raises the amount I supposedly owe even higher. Oh, and he's still trying to charge me rent for October when I haven't been able to enter the building for most of the month. Because he maintains that I haven't been evicted and yet he refuses to give me keys to the doors and he has hidden many of my possessions elsewhere, I do not know where.

In the meantime I can't use any of my music equipment to earn a living that way, I have none of my clothing so I can't go to job interviews or anything without buying a new wardrobe that I cannot afford in light of his thievery. He also has my computer, my personal documents, every single thing I've acquired in 6 years of living in Cambodia, and he is in no hurry to return it to me. And I believe that even if I had paid him $2600 at the last meeting, he'd have tried to find a way to avoid returning my belongings. Because he is a thief.

There's even more to this story than I've related to you here, but I won't belabor the point. This man, Francksoda Kang, is a sociopath and a liar and a thief. He should be in Prey Sar, not running apartment buildings in PP and SR.

-- NK

=========

He and Whitlow are like the Odd Couple of maladapted individuals, Soda is the neat and reliable one with successful businesses and respectability while Jay is the messy and uncouth one, always up to trouble. It should be a fucking sit-com somewhere, maybe some level of hell Dante didn't get around to describing where it's the only show on every TV channel, I don't fucking know.
"

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic