Is Golden Sorya Mall being torn down?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is Golden Sorya Mall being torn down?

Post by cautious colin »

Anyone know when this place is supposed to be ready? I can see that they are doing quite a lot of work on it now but still looks quite a way off. Would be interesting to have a look when all completed.

I think (hope) that it will be good for the area
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 am Anyone know when this place is supposed to be ready? I can see that they are doing quite a lot of work on it now but still looks quite a way off. Would be interesting to have a look when all completed.

I think (hope) that it will be good for the area
I believe it is due to take another 3 or 4 months. new rents will be even more insanely high than the ones which caused the place to turn into a ghost town after they doubled in 2014. Rumour has it the police shut down the illegal gambling room sand want the junkies out so it is being redevloped
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Local businesses see opportunity as well as loss as Golden Sorya gets a facelift
30 January 2018
The renovation of Golden Sorya Mall, the semi-open air plaza on Phnom Penh’s Street 51 known for its seedy atmosphere, has split nearby businesses into two camps: those who praise the potential to draw a classier clientele, and those who lament the loss of the regular patrons.

Golden Sorya Mall (GSM) was a giant metal structure established in 2009 that housed more than 100 stalls, bars and restaurants. Located near popular clubs and bars such as Heart of Darkness and Pontoon, the northern section of the mall became known for its outsized presence of drug users, sex workers and their clients.

That will all change after the renovation is completed, GSM investor Van Sou Ieng told The Post in November, noting the “expectations are that tenants will benefit from more affluent consumers”. A placard posted outside the renovation yesterday showed a sign labelling the new space “PP Pub Street”.

Sou Ieng’s hopes of attracting more upscale customers was shared by several nearby business owners, who also said they expected to benefit from the changes. Tony Akdeniz, owner of the nearby Mr Mediterranean restaurant, said he was grateful for the GSM renovations and for the overall improvements he had seen in the 10 months since he opened his business.
Akdeniz added that he had been told by officials in charge of the renovation that the new project was set to open in April, slightly after Khmer New Year. Sou Ieng declined to comment on the renovations yesterday.

But a decrease in prostitution and drugs could have a negative impact on some of the businesses in the area, which have come to rely on the patrons drawn to the seedier side of GSM.

“We’ve lost about 10 percent of our customers here since the renovations began,” said Noum Sochet, a receptionist at the New Castle Guesthouse and Bar. “Before, we had a lot more sex workers coming here, and a lot more drug users – and some of the patrons come here for this.” ...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/l ... s-facelift
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

in the west we call this gentrification
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Happened to Pattaya, too, on a much larger scale.

Entertainment zone profitable, but has to be regulated / moderated.

Middle-class more palatable.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

said Noum Sochet, a receptionist at the New Castle Guesthouse and Bar. “Before, we had a lot more sex workers coming here, and a lot more drug users – and some of the patrons come here for this.” ...
I am sure the owner of New Castle guesthouse is very happy with this quote being in the national newspapaer
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

apparently the german guy who has been buying uo 174 has taken the northern half of the mall. Current rents for Khmer are $800 a month outside, but that includes everything including tax. I believ the car park behind is now open at night, but I was also told the previous operator had a few big bikes he was storing for barang and when he was chucked out the bikes were sold
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic