RIP ? US veteran's ashes held for non-payment by funeral home

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: RIP ? US veteran's ashes held for non-payment by funeral home

Post by frank lee bent »

his son and wife may be entitled to SS benefits, and it certainly will not hurt the kid to have a US passport.
roy.day
Tourist
United States of America

Post by roy.day »

There is a process to get his Consular Report of Birth Abroad postmortem.
Hoping to help them get that to get the SSA benefits.
I've talked to the consulate but if anyone has any suggestions to share, I would appreciate it.
The father is on the local birth certificate but it seems that it wasn't acquired until after the fathers death.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

great work you are doing!
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Great work indeed.

Sorry for derailing the subject but upon seing you are representing "VFW Mayaguez Memorial Post 11575 " I guess it might be you or another fellow involved veteran from that battle telling me a good while ago about a project you were working on regarding the event/battle site. Since many of our members share a strong interest for local Historical matters, any news and information you care to share with us would surely be appreciated.
roy.day
Tourist
United States of America

Post by roy.day »

The last VFW project involving Koh Tang was in May of 2015 for the 40 year memorial. We put up two plaques on the island with a group of vets from the battle.

Not much has happened since then. There are 3 Marines who's remains have not been recovered yet. That is still something we are interested in, but no recent leads.

There are some people who are still piecing together information as it is declassified. If you have something to share, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic