Bringing non-related Cambodian Child To Vietnam

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
leeroy
Tourist
Vietnam

Bringing non-related Cambodian Child To Vietnam

Post by leeroy »

Wondering if anyone has any information this.

When I was with my ex her 5 year old niece from the province moved in with us. A year later we broke up and and after a series of events her niece ended up living with me. Its been that way for about a year now. She has been going to a small international school here in pp and has gone from speaking no English at all to being almost fluent and wanting to eat burgers and pizza every night. I have her parents and all of her relatives permission and i have been raising her for the past two years, but i have no legal guardianship of her.

I got a job offer in Vietnam that includes free housing and free tuition for her. I have already talked to her and the parents about it and everyone wants her to go as it is a really good school and her only other option is to go back to the province farming rice with no electricity.

Does anyone have any information on if or how this can be done? I know she can get a one year visa for 135 but I don't know about the procedure for leaving the country without her parents. I am planning to adopt her but am still trying to figure out all the paper work. I've searched online for information but have not been able to find anything.

I realize these laws/restrictions are put into place to protect kids from human trafficking and my new job has said they will do everything they can to help with the process such as write a letter and work with the Viet immigration police but I do not have any information about the Cambodian side.

Thanks in Advance
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Bringing non-related Cambodian Child To Vietnam

Post by pczz »

If you were travelling with one of the legal guardians you would just need a permission to travel letter signed by the missing one in front of a notary.
A male foreigner taking a female Khmer child aged 6 out of the country on their own is going to look very suspicious to checkin staff and immigration.
You are on very rocky ground and you really need to see a lawyer. It may be possible to get proper permission to act in loco parentis for the duration of her studies but I think you will need approval from Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ministry of the Interior. Cambodia has strict anti people trafficking laws and you really do not want to take the risk. I just travelled with a Khmer and her son and we were stopped at the checking desk in PP airport and had to produce permission to travel documents for boarding, Also had to produce them for visa.
leeroy
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by leeroy »

pczz wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:05 pm If you were travelling with one of the legal guardians you would just need a permission to travel letter signed by the missing one in front of a notary.
A male foreigner taking a female Khmer child aged 6 out of the country on their own is going to look very suspicious to checkin staff and immigration.
You are on very rocky ground and you really need to see a lawyer. It may be possible to get proper permission to act in loco parentis for the duration of her studies but I think you will need approval from Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ministry of the Interior. Cambodia has strict anti people trafficking laws and you really do not want to take the risk. I just travelled with a Khmer and her son and we were stopped at the checking desk in PP airport and had to produce permission to travel documents for boarding, Also had to produce them for visa.

Yes I agree about all of the things you brought up abd have already thought about them. Maybe there will be no way to bring her but I want to exhaust all my options beforei decide that. I am also aware how suspicious it sounds, so its a pretty tough place to be in.

Do you or anyone else have the contact number of a relevant lawyer? Would it be a stanard immigrationlawyer or another kind?

Thanks.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I really would not try it on your own, the riss are too high. if you really insist i suggest you firstly discuss the case with the commune chief where the girl is registered. They can "appoint" someone as guardian if that person is the one who takes care of the child and they have consent of the child's guardians but that may or may not be legal outside of Cambodia. You can also adopt her if you are a Cambodian resident even if you are a foeigner but that adoption is not recognized outside of Cambodia in countries that are members of the Hague convention. it may be recognized in Vietnam as it is an Asean nation. Once you have done that you could approach the Vietnamese embassy. The International Organisation of Migration in Phnom Penh may be able to advise you further.
https://www.iom.int/countries/Cambodia
Lawyers ask for insane fees here, 2 or 3 times what i would pay in the uk and often expect you to pay the full amount upfront so best do as much research as you can before you even think about talking to them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic