'The Rice Field' - a film you may have missed - by young Cambodian director

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

'The Rice Field' - a film you may have missed - by young Cambodian director

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Young Director Wants to Share A Different Story About the Khmer Rouge
1 November 2017
Kong Sovansreychhouk grew up hearing stories of the fear, horror and depression her grandparents felt throughout the years of the Khmer Rouge genocide, like most young adults in the country.

But more often than not, the 30-year-old film director, who goes by Chhouk, said her grandparents stories involved romance, humor and the mediocrity of daily life. Love is often lost in stories from this era, Chhouk said, so she is trying to use her scriptwriting and directing abilities to add to the narrative through her new movie, The Rice Field.

Chhouk is one of Cambodia’s young directors who has received recognition for her eye for stories and creative perspective on love and life. Even though filmmaking requires her to invest time, money and energy outside her fulltime job, Chhouk is determined to bring her art and passion to life.

Her first film, The Rice Field, tells the fictional story of Rous, a young woman from Phnom Penh who falls in love with a young soldier, Kor. Though it’s a love story does not shy away from the fear and struggle experienced by Cambodians under the Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 to 1979.

About a minute or two into her short film, The Rice Field, the view of the Kampong Chhnang setting shifts from black and white to rich yellows of the afternoon sun and lush green grass.

The scene encapsulates an anecdote Chhouk heard about the Khmer Rouge era from her grandmother: the days of hunger were so intense that she has no memory of color or landscape or light. The elderly woman only remembers black and white...

ImageImage
http://tosanak.com/young-director-wants ... mer-rouge/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Re: 'The Rice Field' - a film you may have missed - by young Cambodian director

Post by xxxxxxx »

I look forward to seeing this...sometime. i hope it shows up on Youtube.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I would. She's a 7/10.
merlevedderman
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by merlevedderman »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm I look forward to seeing this...sometime. i hope it shows up on Youtube.
Please post here if you do find it on Youtube (or Vimeo or wherever). I'd be quite interested in seeing it, as well. Thanks.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The countryside around Kompong Chanang is very beautiful with all those sugar palms. I would like to see this flick as well. Is it on bootlegged DVDs yet?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic