Thailand is better than cambodia

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand is better than cambodia

Post by zmth »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:47 pm
AdvisorExpertTravel wrote:
zmth wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 pm the worst autrocity in cambodia is the ridiculous high prices in supermarkets - eg Lucky Supermarket in Phnom Penh. On the other hand local bananas in the nearby market seem relatively cheap compared to rest of se asia.

Cheaper bananas ! It seems really difficult to find good reasons to live full time in Cambodia hahahaha :-)
Don't forget 2000r pineapples.
I'm sure you're love to comment on that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
yea the bananas in itself is relatively small thing - usually get 2 to 3 kg for 75cents if get the correct person not trying to screw over a white man. Don't remember anything about 2000r pineapples. By far the worst is the price of the things in supermarket like think it was $3.2 or more? for 425g gross weight can of sardines or mackeral in Lucky - essential things like that - outrageous. Except for bananas eating things here in Kuta is cheaper - besides possibly somewhere in India , Indonesia is also cheapest for eating out at the lowest priced places.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

zmth wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 pm the worst autrocity in cambodia is the ridiculous high prices in supermarkets - eg Lucky Supermarket in Phnom Penh.
Lucky has always been expensive and has a crap range. There are alternatives like Thai Huot, Bayon, Super Duper etc. They are still expensive compared to Thailand though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Makro seemed to be decent. But a longish haul. And warehouse volumes. Of course it’s all imported from Thailand so renders the Thailand vs Cambodia discussion moot.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Vung Tau is better than sihanoukville i hear
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Unless you're working in Vung Tau, there's not much to do other than holding up a bar chair.

It is a very attractive, clean town with lots of tree-lined streets, tons of cafes, bars and restaurants. And every apartment and most houses have a spectacular ocean view.

If you're a drinker, it's damned cheap. If you're a skirt chaser, bring lots of money.

One of the best things about VT is it's only a 2-hour boat/minibus ride to Saigon. Another good thing is the air is ocean fresh and clean. Which is why Saigonese throng VT on weekends.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:51 am Vung Tau is better than sihanoukville i hear
Depends on your budget.
Originally an R @ R for GIs then for off shore oil rig workers its prices are actually cheap unless your looking at barfining and ladydrinks which are the most expensive in SEA.

Vietnamese females attitude is often hardened, cold and bitchy compared to thai and khmer.

Finding a normal girl in vietnam seemed easier but cultural barriers remained strong.

Over all vietnam is not a good destination for mongering but then again neither is KoW out side of PP.
Last edited by Beerinthemorning on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 am Unless you're working in Vung Tau, there's not much to do other than holding up a bar chair.

It is a very attractive, clean town with lots of tree-lined streets, tons of cafes, bars and restaurants. And every apartment and most houses have a spectacular ocean view.

If you're a drinker, it's damned cheap. If you're a skirt chaser, bring lots of money.

One of the best things about VT is it's only a 2-hour boat/minibus ride to Saigon. Another good thing is the air is ocean fresh and clean. Which is why Saigonese throng VT on weekends.
Sounds ideal for digital nomads.
Glancing at related FB groups the rental prices look reasonable. USD330/mth for a western style 1 bdm apartment with seaview for example https://www.facebook.com/Vungtauhomes/p ... 77/?type=3
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 am Unless you're working in Vung Tau, there's not much to do other than holding up a bar chair.

As I get to my annual must visit Vietnam thoughts for October/November I watched a few youtube videos on Vung Tau over the weekend and that's exactly the impression I got, clean, wide open roads, pleasant beachfront but a bit lacking in character and perhaps atmosphere. I then looked at Hoi An and that looks terrific for a photograhy orientated trip although it is obviously tourist central. Perhaps a combined trip taking in Da Nang + Hoi An might be the solution for a first look at Vietnam.

Anyone been to either place, any first hand experience and thoughts appreciated. I'd like to go to Hanoi but not first trip.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

BitM wrote:
Vietnamese females attitude is often hardened, cold and bitchy compared to thai and khmer.
They usually have good English, so are engaging, funny and friendly. But that's an act. They are hardcore. Ice cold blood runs through their veins. For comparison, Thai girls can still claim warm blood and warm hearts. And I think in general there are many more pretty TGs. I've found even the Viet shop girls, bank clerks etc., are cut from the same Viet girl cloth. Conversational warmth was almost undetectable. Saigon girls (who usually come from anywhere but SGN) are more variable. The VT girls have been in VT too long.

ORS wrote:
Sounds ideal for digital nomads.
Glancing at related FB groups the rental prices look reasonable. USD330/mth for a western style 1 bdm apartment with seaview
Beware re internet services. Vietnam's primary submarine cable broke down five times last year and four times, so far, this year. The AAG cable is down yet again right now. Speeds have slowed considerably. But when it's up, it's pretty good.

VT has loads of very reasonably priced apartments. The most expensive I've ever seen (so-called lux apartments, a holdover from the big O and G days) run about 16 million VND/$700US.
eatingmore101
Tourist
Australia

Post by eatingmore101 »

what about the 7-11s and the singha beer? compared to super duper and angkor? :pardon:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic