Best place for a Haircut in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Best place for a Haircut in PP

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The main reason I recommend Tokyo, is that they actually know how to fade, unlike most other places I've tried. Also, great shave, can get your nails done at the same time and the massages are fantastic. The staff at Tokyo have been professionally trained and the proof is in the pudding.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 am get your nails done at the same time
gay
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I like my hair reasonably short due to the climate, however I hate the common style where they shave off the sideburns and continue on with a wide swath around the ears so that the latter look like a pair of whitewall tires. I just learned the phrase " kat sok UNTAC" and problem solved.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 amThe staff at Tokyo have been professionally trained and the proof is in the pudding.
I hear the pudding is quite good?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

I think the secret to getting what you want is that the hairdresser speaks at least a little English. 100% of the time they nod and smile without understanding a word of what you're saying, and you always end up with a short back and sides. Does anyone know of a hairdresser in Phnom Penh that speaks English?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 am I think the secret to getting what you want is that the hairdresser speaks at least a little English.
Or that you tell a Khmer friend what you want and learn how to say it in Khmer... :D
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

vladimir wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 am
Abc123 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 am I think the secret to getting what you want is that the hairdresser speaks at least a little English.
Or that you tell a Khmer friend what you want and learn how to say it in Khmer... :D
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

prahocalypse now wrote:
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 am get your nails done at the same time
gay
Haha, and when I read it, I was thinking, "good, it's not just me."

You hater.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:01 amEvery neighborhood I've loved in, I've been able to find a great local guy.
Le Freudian slip... :plus1:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 am The main reason I recommend Tokyo, is that they actually know how to fade, unlike most other places I've tried. Also, great shave, can get your nails done at the same time and the massages are fantastic. The staff at Tokyo have been professionally trained and the proof is in the pudding.
C'mon, be honest. The only reason you ever went to Tokyo in the first place was because it was recommended to you by a friend or K440. Years ago it was one of the few places where one was assured the barber spoke English, so everyone started going there.

Barring one incident, I've never had an issue getting a fade here. It was maybe my third haircut here or so. Some street barber kid on the corner of 19 and 154 or something. Tried explaining I wanted a fade and he nodded then the clipper, set to zero. Started at the bottom of the neck, then slowly went up up up aaaaand all the way to the top. Oops. I didn't say anything as it was too late, but when he finished the skinhead look, he jumped up in front of me with a bi smile and said: "Like John Cena!".

Either way, there are so many places that offer exactly the same thing as Tokyo, it's just that Tokyo is the name barangs have been going to for a decade+. However, whenever I moved houses here, I never had major problems finding a good local guy that would cut my hair for $2 or so. The guy I've been going to for the past few years (two guys actually, though I prefer one ever so slightly) gives me a haircut for $2, and there are some girls too if getting a shampoo and pedicure is your thang... Those types of places are all over. However, I'll admit that I don't venture or explore much when it comes to barbers. Like a good masseuse, a good barber is one you'll stick to like glue because you never know what else you can get elsewhere...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic