Homeless Scotsman in Siem Reap GARY MORENO Makes The News When Tourists Try To Help

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
L'Algerino
Expatriate
Barbados

Re: Homeless Scotsman in Siem Reap GARY MORENO Makes The News When Tourists Try To Help

Post by L'Algerino »

Siemreapchillin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:56 pm
L'Algerino wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:15 pm Nearly every bar on sok san tried to help him out but gave up. Never takes his meds and instead prefers booze and drugs which makes his conditions even worse.
That's a lie.

Gary cannot afford his meds, who are you to tell the people about his condition?

Are you a doctor?
that's why some people organised his meds for him with no success. Go ask the guys at same same bar.

No doctor but alcohol gives or worsen his epileptic attacks but he still refuses to get off the booze. And yes I know that addiction isn't simply cured but if the addict is unwilling to even try to get clean it's damn near impossible.
Siemreapchillin
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Homeless Scotsman in Siem Reap GARY MORENO Makes The News When Tourists Try To Help

Post by Siemreapchillin »

L'Algerino wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm
Siemreapchillin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:56 pm
L'Algerino wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:15 pm Nearly every bar on sok san tried to help him out but gave up. Never takes his meds and instead prefers booze and drugs which makes his conditions even worse.
That's a lie.

Gary cannot afford his meds, who are you to tell the people about his condition?

Are you a doctor?
that's why some people organised his meds for him with no success. Go ask the guys at same same bar.

No doctor but alcohol gives or worsen his epileptic attacks but he still refuses to get off the booze. And yes I know that addiction isn't simply cured but if the addict is unwilling to even try to get clean it's damn near impossible.
He's a fully grown man, treat him like one.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

So, someone who seems to have known him a while write this about him yesterday:

"I hope he can make it home.

But, Gary doesn't want to go back unfortunately. He has said the embassy had already arranged for everything. Put him up in a guesthouse and helped with meds. He was going to be put in a hospice once he returned and didn't want that so fled.

He does have little money sent to him by his only relative he has contact with monthly. His parents have passed.

He spent time being assisted by our family as he was sleeping out the front of our business. He has parkinsons, at times being refused entry into pharmacies because of scaring off customers. Friends of friends put him up for a while to try and get him on his feet but that didn't work out. He wants to stay in Cambodia but nobody wants him longterm in their guesthouse.

As you can see from the videos he thrashes about when needing a top up of his Parkinson meds. That's why he cannot wear shoes, we gave him several but he said the joggers cut his legs up as he thrashed around and the flip flops won't stay on his feet. He had us keep his passport for safety as he had been robbed (the thieves assumed he was drunk when they got him). His passport was full and his current visa many years expired. He had a car here, which as his condition worsened could not drive. He left it at a guesthouse that he had been staying in.

They held it for 6 months before calling immigration to remove it from the property.

We tried to help him get his car back to sleep in and the story was true. When we called the police they said they knew of Gary and had his car and we're eagerly awaiting him to collect it so they could have a chat about his visa status. He is certainly in a rough spot. I just hope he finally accepts the help being offered and doesn't run off again."
"

And we have another guy who is in the process of rescuing him:

"There was a lot of my friends from back home in Scotland sent me a post that a man who had been traveling through Siem Reap (also from Scotland) asking for some assistance on how to get this man named Gary, thought to be around 44 years old and from the Glasgow area of Scotland.

That post was rapidly scooped up by some of the news networks in Scotland.

The photos in the original post were taken out front of the market under X-Bar.

Anyone any idea on where he might be now, the Scottish government are liaising with Westminster to get him home as he's been sleeping rough for two years out here.

He'll be very elated to hear of this news.

UPDATE:

If he has an addiction, which based on what I'm hearing and have been told, coupled with the belief he is suffering from parkinsons he'll likely not be lucid.

I've worked with people in the past with addictions and they're never easy to deal with but still need to be helped. I think him hearing from the Scottish couple whom he met yesterday might have made him a bit more comfortable. There's definitely work being done back in the U.K on the back of that Facebook post, so maybe he just needs to hear that there's work being done back in Scotland to help him.

UPDATE:

I met him 20 minutes ago as I got a phone call from someone that had seen him in one of his frequent hangouts.

He does indeed want to go home and there seems to be some confusion as to what his intentions have been out here.

I've emailed his local politician back home but with it being the weekend they'll likely not respond until Monday.

I've also emailed the news network from Scotland that published the article about his situation on the back of a Facebook status that went viral in Scotland concerning his welfare.

I got him food and have arranged to meet him tomorrow afternoon at 12:30 to update him on what's happening.

He has 2 family members in Scotland that he has given me their names and I'm trying to locate them on Facebook.

Hopefully we can sort his situation and get him back home within the month."
"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mrsmarion
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Mrsmarion »

I myself have started a go fund page to raise money in helping get Gary to Scotland.
Some people are saying it’s a scam but I can 100% guarantee I’m not scamming anyone. I’m genuinely raising funds to assist him home.

The couple from Scotland posted this:

[B]"PLEASE HELP AND SHARE THIS

We were walking through Siem Reap today in Cambodia and came across a Scottish man who needs help. He told us that his name is Gary Mereno, he lived in Glasgow, and was born 17th April 1973. He's been sleeping on the streets for 2 years and has no money, no shoes and can barely walk due to an accident. He wouldn't say what happened but his legs are cut and infected. He doesn't say much apart from his passport has been stolen and he wants to go home. The foreign office won't help until we find a family member or friend to financially help him get home. We told him we would post on Facebook to try and find someone who knows him. Please share this to help find his family or friends."[/b]
Mrsmarion
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Mrsmarion »

Go fund me search Bring Gary home 2 Scotland.
I’m contacting the British embassy Monday morning to see where we stand. If anyone can get any additional information from Gary ie mothers name maiden name any streets he remembers staying in when he was younger would greatly be appreciated
Siemreapchillin
Tourist
Cambodia

Mrsmarion wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:38 am Go fund me search Bring Gary home 2 Scotland.
I’m contacting the British embassy Monday morning to see where we stand. If anyone can get any additional information from Gary ie mothers name maiden name any streets he remembers staying in when he was younger would greatly be appreciated
How about send him enough go fund me money to get to a beach in Thailand and live the rest of his days having fun rather than send him back to a home to miserable cold boring Scotland.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"How about send him enough go fund me money to get to a beach in Thailand and live the rest of his days having fun rather than send him back to a home to miserable cold boring Scotland."

I'm rarely cold hearted, but I'll make an exception in your case. You most likely are jealous being unacceptable in any country including your home country. You of all people are in no position to offer advice.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Siemreapchillin
Tourist
Cambodia

taabarang wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:15 am "How about send him enough go fund me money to get to a beach in Thailand and live the rest of his days having fun rather than send him back to a home to miserable cold boring Scotland."

I'm rarely cold hearted, but I'll make an exception in your case. You most likely are jealous being unacceptable in any country including your home country. You of all people are in no position to offer advice.
Apart from the fact that I know Gary personally.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Not sure about Scotland, BUT when u go to the US embassy broke and saying ur passport has been lost, stolen they ask for names of family members and friends back home and they will contact them for you requesting $$ for new passport an flight.
IF NO ONE will help or respond, the embassy will issue u a one way passport and pay for a flight back and note that u can't leave until its been paid back.

If he has been on the streets 2 years , why has he not been arrested and deported, than the embassy is forced to assist?
With all the new regulations on long term visas an wp, seems all you really need do is lose everything, than the police allow u to stay.
weird or what?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

very similarr to most European countries. I asked myself the same question, just report everything stolen and you are good to stay? The guy has been in public for two years, while others get arrested/ deported for a minor overstay. Does not add up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic