Finnish BegPacker Needs Your Help in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Finnish BegPacker Needs Your Help in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Post by hanno »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 am How do you know he's a BegPacker? Although, I guess by definition - if you're backpacking, get robbed and start begging, you become a 'BegPacker'.
Excuse my cynicism but there are quite a few of those doing the rounds in HCMC and Ha Noi, even the signs are pretty much identical. And this guy has been around for a while if I am not mistaken.
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm im interested to know what the "etc..." is, what else did they rob?
His dignity
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

It's only around $20 for bus from HCMC to Ha Noi, from memory. He's more than likely a lowlife and has a lot to learn before he achieves the infamous status of Herr Benjamin Holst.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

As mentioned he has been begging here as far as I saw on a HCMC Facebook page with a video of his lazy begging ass about 3 weeks ago.....he coulda walked to Hanoi by now. Definite Scammer
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

Jasper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm im interested to know what the "etc..." is, what else did they rob?
His dignity
Razor
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Finland has an honorary consulate in HCMC. I imagine they could arrange something with the embassy in Ha Noi.

http://www.finland.org.vn/public/defaul ... ture=en-US
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cruisemonkey wrote:How do you know he's a BegPacker? Although, I guess by definition - if you're backpacking, get robbed and start begging, you become a 'BegPacker'.
"Scammer" would have probably been a better word.

He's been spotted telling the same bullshit story for quite a while it seems.

And a lady on Facebook read this and shared her "Scammed in Cambodia" with us:

"Cambodia Expats Online it happened this February near Russian market. He named himself Henry from Germany,but had lived in china many years. He's not a tourist,btw.he says he's 70 years old( but looking very young and fit as his age) tanned,grey hair,very tall,like over 180cm,we met him outside of Seven Mart near Russian market,very friendly,we had chat long time, then,we promised to meet up next day at my hotel room, then,next day, he showed up saying he got robbed and lost his passport and wallet,and asked me for 300USD,but he said he already made a claim to the German embassy and everything had taken care of, so he promised he would give me ( actually to my husband) the cash back next day.then, he said he'd go buy some beers downstairs......never came back....he said he often goes to kiwi mart...be aware the man!!!i don't know if he's really German..as he said...I didn't hear any German accent on him..."
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Wow, a homeless guy bought booze...how shocking.

Wonder what the donor would do in the same situation?

You give money to these people unconditionally, if he needs to blur the lines, let him be.

How would you cope, Mother Theresa (fumie)?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My bad call. He looks like a pro scammer for sure. East European ?
Shame that you cant help out your fellow expats or travelers these days without wondering if its a scam.

That said, I lent some money to an Australian guy I knew in Thailand decades ago to go home - I had his name and home address in Oz and knew his friends. I contacted him in Oz when I saw I got scammed and I saw he was earning well back home, but he never replied and I let it go in the end - hoping he will come back as a cockroach or a piece of shit in his next life.
Thems the breaks. You take your chances with people you meet in SEA, and you might trust a foreigner because you think you have something in common, or because you are drinking buddies for a month or two. Whatever. Don't lend what you can't afford to lose.
Siemreapchillin
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Siemreapchillin »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:48 pm My bad call. He looks like a pro scammer for sure. East European ?
Shame that you cant help out your fellow expats or travelers these days without wondering if its a scam.

That said, I lent some money to an Australian guy I knew in Thailand decades ago to go home - I had his name and home address in Oz and knew his friends. I contacted him in Oz when I saw I got scammed and I saw he was earning well back home, but he never replied and I let it go in the end - hoping he will come back as a cockroach or a piece of shit in his next life.
Thems the breaks. You take your chances with people you meet in SEA, and you might trust a foreigner because you think you have something in common, or because you are drinking buddies for a month or two. Whatever. Don't lend what you can't afford to lose.
They say the barangs are the ones to watch out for, have met many who are scamming there way through South east Asia.
The big legged German comes to mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic