visit in december

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: visit in december

Post by frank lee bent »

PS;
you are welcome
if you can't make good bread, well, you deserve the bread you get- easiest thing in the world
villagers will queue up to get it and there is quite a good margin
high gluten bread flour
yeast
water salt
oil
thats all for pane duro
i bet u get 50% on cost if you do a big lot
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

frankan wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 pm C'mon guys give me a break about nostalgia. If the French left anything behind it was the knowledge to make superb bread. Have you tried the crap in Thailand. Mere sponge cake. I need good bread to fill me, rice does not do it, this permanent hunger is awful, I'm 8 kilo down in 10 months here. I needed to lose it but I long for decent, filling food. See you in PP.
There are good French bread supplies in Phnom Penh. You can buy a bread machine at Sunsimexco near Central Market for $65+ I use a turbo oven which you can buy for the same price.

You can get a lot of french food supplies from Thai Huat on Monivong. Foie Gras, Camembert, Brie, Pate etc.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 pm i have built 5 or 6 of these and a few other rock ovens. you don't need fire bricks
http://www.sunset.com/garden/how-to-sun ... adobe-oven
can pull a lot of bread out of one then make the curry over a few hours in the declining heat.
i could make one in a hard day but allow 3 and some beer and make it a family event.
put a roof over it, and build it up waist high
you got a biz
google cob ovens and rocket stoves
guaranteed small money maker in the provinces

dam shall i ban myself for derailing a thread?
I am in the design stage if you like. The purpose is for good raised Yorkshire puddings.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
frankan
Tourist
Australia

Post by frankan »

I didn't mean to start a major thing but slow cooking of meat, then someone suggests Yorkshire puddings. I'm going out of brains here, starving on Isaan food I detest.
frankan
Tourist
Australia

Post by frankan »

They don't understand that poor quality meat needs stewing or roasting but not stir fry for 5 minutes. The food here is crap. A good set of teeth to chew is needed.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 pm "khmers love good fresh bread- a real treat."

Right you are. In fact in our village bread has almost totally replaced rice in curry dishes. We've no oven and I'm too busy/lazy to make one so I cook a variety of pan fried breads and even stove top pizzas.
Khmer curry with bread is one of my favourite dishes
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

frankan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 am They don't understand that poor quality meat needs stewing or roasting but not stir fry for 5 minutes. The food here is crap. A good set of teeth to chew is needed.
Khmer food isnt much different to isaan food :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 pm google finger broken?
i would have thought a sophisticated membership here would be well versed in simple bush engineering nomenclature and concepts.
i guess i am such a geezer that i assume too much
It's not you, Frank. Ignorance is way to common. Looking back at what I've learned off YouTube alone it's absolutely amazing. Building with cob, earthbags, and strawbale. All the various designs for rocket stoves/heaters. I wish information had been so readily available when I was a kid. Usually alternative skills were learned from the "kook" in the neighborhood.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Frank's a bush scientist! I knew it!

Live free or die, man! Woohoo! ;p

Pretty cool, if you ask me.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
frankan
Tourist
Australia

Post by frankan »

My google finger is not broken but, like my new farming career here in Buriram, the best advice comes from other's personal experience, freely and willingly given. It should be a source of pride when asked for your knowledge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic