No gas, no drones: Strict safety rules for Water Festival

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: No gas, no drones: Strict safety rules for Water Festival

Post by bangkokhooker »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 pm
bangkokhooker wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm
That picture does not prove anything. There could have been another LPG bottle or that bottle could have a huge rip in it's side. It also could be bollocks and no newspaper article even said that.
Did you read the ELGAS reference I gave above?

How & Why Would an LPG (Propane) Cylinder Explode?

It is extremely difficult to get an LPG cylinder to explode. Even trying to do it intentionally is very challenging. Now, you may be thinking that I am only saying this because I work for an LPG company. How can what I say be true when you see reports of “exploding gas bottles” in the news with some frequency? The issue lies with the erroneous reporting of the facts…http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1977-how-w ... st-propane
I did and as there was no link to the supposed newspaper report where the picture came from I cam to the conclusion it was all fabricated to make a point, whether it is true or not was not my point.

Your link does not work by the way.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

They have a valve that melts and vents the gas before the bottles explode, I believe.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Years ago the gas delivery guy (Aycetalyne and oxygen welding tanks) would kick the tanks off the back of his truck onto a padded Matt.

It was ok until one landed on its neck and shot off across the yard destroying several trucks in the process.

They installed a small crane after that.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

bangkokhooker wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 pm
Your link does not work by the way.
It does in the original post, I must have re copied it incorrectly

My point was about the fact that LPG bottles are generally safe. Busting Media Mythology: Exploding LPG Gas Bottles

It is really hard to get an LPG gas bottle to explode? However, if you listen to the news, you would think that it is happening all the time.
How could they get it so wrong?
http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/365-bustin ... as-bottles

Of course this is one company's point of view but there is plenty of supporting evidence. This link has the Mythbusters experiment
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

I'm not disputing LPG bottles are safe. You should have quoted an actual source rather than some alarmist nonsense. They are self serving.

All's good.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

bangkokhooker wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:10 pm I'm not disputing LPG bottles are safe. You should have quoted an actual source rather than some alarmist nonsense. They are self serving.

All's good.
But the source I quoted was debunking the alarmist nonsense. I was quoting something that confirms your perspective. Because of "alarmist nonsense" some people believe that the bottles are not safe.
Busting Media Mythology: Exploding LPG Gas Bottles, It is really hard to get an LPG gas bottle to explode.
However, if you listen to the news, you would think that it is happening all the time.How could they get it so wrong?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^I had recently worked in the petroleum industry for 35 years, never had any news of LPG bottles going "bang".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:05 pm ^I had recently worked in the petroleum industry for 35 years, never had any news of LPG bottles going "bang".
I think that's generally because they dont :D

The behaviour of cylinders containing liquefied petroleum gases when exposed to fire has been investigated. It has been shown that in
conditions representative of both industrial and residential fire situations, violent failure of these cylinders was prevented by the incorporation of spring loaded pressure relief devices in the valve assemblies.
THE PREVENTION OF EXPLOSION IN LIQUEFIELD PETROLEUM GAS CYLINDERS IN FIRE CONDITIONS.
https://www.icheme.org/communities/subj ... per-18.pdf
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

The relief valve is also designed to face away from the building ( if the bottles are properly installed).

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic